Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Yaris v's Opel Corsa

Options
  • 04-04-2007 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

In the market for car, quiet like the Yaris, but see alot of the new Corsa on the market which seems nice. My sister drives a Clio, and was sold purly on the basis of some footballer called Thierry something who featured in a TV ad. What does anyone think of the Yaris? Does it drive well? I think it's 1.0.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Yaris is likely to hold it's value better than the Corsa. Opels come with the bare legal minumum 2 year warrenty, Toyota give 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

4istic wrote:
    Hi

In the market for car, quiet like the Yaris, but see alot of the new Corsa on the market which seems nice. My sister drives a Clio, and was sold purly on the basis of some footballer called Thierry something who featured in a TV ad. What does anyone think of the Yaris? Does it drive well? I think it's 1.0.
    If the new Corsa (which looks great and has a fine spec) is as reliable as the old model than no contest. The Corsa reliability is superb. It's also much roomier than the Yaris. I drove both in the past 6 weeks. Granted to Yaris was 12 months old and the Corsa was a test drive of the new model but the Corsa felt more solid and held the road better. I found the yaris underpowered. Just my thoughts, having experienced them both recently, but I don't have to live with the choice as I drive neither. Test drive then both and see how you feel about them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The ex has a Corsa, and I prefer the Yaris, to be honest. The Corsa is a bit more industrial or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 1.0 in the Corsa is only 58 bhp, compared to the 65/68 on the old and new Yaris.
    You can get a newer Corsa for the same money, but you'll lose less on the Yaris come trade-in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The mother had to get a new mirror fitted yesterday (my fault) and the mechanic told her he'd always thought the old Yaris was a great car, but having driven the new one consider's there's no comparison. The new one is massive and drives well for a supermini...It's tall so succeptable to bodyroll in corners and crosswinds too!!

Yaris is great though. I've a 00 Corsa and the power difference definatley falls in favour of the Yaris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ninty9er wrote:
    The mother had to get a new mirror fitted yesterday (my fault) and the mechanic told her he'd always thought the old Yaris was a great car, but having driven the new one consider's there's no comparison. The new one is massive and drives well for a supermini...It's tall so succeptable to bodyroll in corners and crosswinds too!!

Yaris is great though. I've a 00 Corsa and the power difference definatley falls in favour of the Yaris
    I thought the question was regarding a New Yaris V a New Corsa. If it is then the new Corsa wins hands down. It is roomier, has more power and holds the road really well. If we're talking the older models, then yes the Yaris had it over the 1.0 Corsa any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not sure about the "more power" thing with the Corsa

Yaris 1.0 68bhp 0-62 in 16.9 seconds
    Corsa 1.0 60bhp 0-62 in 18.2 seconds

Yaris 1.3 87bhp 0-62 in 11.5 seconds (in 1.2-1.3 tax bracket)
    Corsa 1.2 80bhp 0-62 in 13.9 seconds (in 1.2-1.3 tax bracket)
    Corsa 1.4 90bhp 0-62 in 12.4 seconds (in 1.3-1.4 tax bracket)

Yaris 1.4 D-4D 90bhp 0-62 in 10.7 seconds
    Corsa 1.3 CDTI 75bhp 0-62 in 14.5 seconds
    Corsa 1.3 CDTI 90bhp 0-62 in 12.7 seconds

So not only is the 1.0 Yaris faster and more powerful than the 1.0 Corsa, the 1.3 is also more powerful than the 1.2 and 1.4 Corsa, the standard diesel engine is quicker than both variants of the Fiat engine in the Corsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Xx iFight xX

I like the new corsa, however I drive a Yaris (my parents) which they insisted on buying after they were in a crash in the first one we had. A guy hit them head on in a for sierra 2L, traveling at 90mph and they walked away from it. The new yaris is probably as good on safety as the old one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I thought the question was regarding a New Yaris V a New Corsa. If it is then the new Corsa wins hands down. It is roomier, has more power and holds the road really well. If we're talking the older models, then yes the Yaris had it over the 1.0 Corsa any day.

But the Corsa is still using the same asthmatic 3 pot 1.0l introduced 1997...even if the Yaris is a 3 pot too, it still wins unless you go for the 1.2 Corsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

i have a new version yaris , the good points are ,
    over 50 mpg combined,
    low tax 150 euros for the year ,
    low insurance 300 fully comp for the year
    5 star ncap safety,
    mp3 wma player ,
    nice enuff looking for a small car ,
    good leg and head room front and back
    3 year or 100000 km toyota cover including break down cover europe wide

and the bad points
    the sound of the 3 cylinder engine
    a lot of noise from the wheel arch over surface water
    it struggles a bit up hills in third gear
    you see a lot of older women (and men)driving them

im fairly happy with it overall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The 3 cyl in the Corsa is very coarse (haven't driven a 1.0 Yaris), second only to a VW 1.9 TDi in my mind. Tho having said that when the wife had a 1.0 Corsa in the late 90s and the fuel economy was very good, but prob no better than the Yaris.

I'd be inclined to recommend the Yarisover the Corsa, as bits can falls off Corsas -- some bits apparently had fallen off the wife's before it had even left the factory.

Drove a Honda Jazz recently. Great car, a lot of interior space (fuel tank is under the front seats, not the back as is normal), and excellent ecomony. Reasonable poke for a 1.2 too.

Advertisement