Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lexmark printer problems with vista

• 04-04-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

my parents recently bought a new computer, and went with vista,
    i have had the pain in the arse task of transferring files etc, and programs to vista and getting everything working smoothly.

everything works grand except the lexmark z23 printer,
    the printer installs and is recognised in the 'printers' window
    under 'control panel', and seems to be working grand,
    only it will print nothing!

document just sit in the print que, until it eventually says
    'Error - Printing' in the status menu.

the driver im using is selected from the 'driver' dropdown menu in 'advanced' in the printer properties,
    its 'lexmark z22 -32 colour jetprinter'

the printer works grand on the old computer, and new ink was bought for it yesterday (quite expensive) so i have no intention of turning around to my parents, saying they need to get a new printer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Do test pages go the same way when you try to print them? Have you installed the Vista print drivers or the original ones from the CD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

i've tried both, the ones from the cd were old, so i downloaded the latest(xp drivers, no vista yet) off their website, and it didn't improve anything.
    so i switched to the printer drivers that were available in vista for 'lexmark z23 -32'. with no improvment either.

what was happening was that i'd try and print a test page,
    a page would be pulled into the printer, it would sit there for
    a normal printing duration, the ink cartridges wouldnt even move, and then spit out a blank page.

now it just come up in the print cue as 'error - printing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is there anything in the event viewer that mentions the problem a log of what's going wrong perhaps ?

Something doesn't sound right if the stock inbuilt driver isn't working, try plugging the printer into another USB port so it re-installs the driver for the printer & check to see what driver it uses & if anything changes with printing.

8T8 wrote:
    try plugging the printer into another USB port so it re-installs the driver for the printer & check to see what driver it uses & if anything changes with printing.

doing it at the moment
    plugged it into another port and it began its search for a driver then gave me the following information

'windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
    windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
    the system cannot find the file specified.'

then it suggests to go to the manufacturers website and download the relevant drivers

under the driver software installation window that popped up when i plugged it into the new usb port it says:

'usb printing support-ready to use
    lexmarklexmark z23-z33- failed'

ohh the joy!
    on the plus side, the eye candy in vista is keeping me calm and holding my faith in this operating system, i miss my mac...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I've the same printer and it gives me the same problems on and off! Gives that printing error message. I usually have to reboot the machine, switch the printer off and on and use a different USB port. I have four ports though on my PC so one of them usually works.

• Advertisement

also does anyone know how to remote administer vista from a mac(tiger) as i have to go back home tomorrow so i'd like to be able sort it out from the comfort of my home if i dont get it done.

ive just gone to their website, and the lexmark z23 is not on their compatability list for vista. although it is for xp.

should that make a difference?

'We provide support for legacy products based on consumer demand and the continued evolution of technology standards. Support for legacy products is eventually withdrawn as we continue to focus on products with the new standards.'

maybe i should mail bomb them?:)

just been on lexmark customer support

:::all below:::

[Martin]
    The drivers for Windows Vista are currently not available for your printer model. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you. Please check our website to check the status of Windows Vista drivers for your product. Also, please click here to know more regarding this.

[me]
    should the lexmark z23 work in anyway with vista using the xp drivers? or do i have to wait until they are released by lexmark, if they decide to make drivers for vista?

[Martin]
    I am afraid that is not possible. However, I suggest that you wait for some time as our engineers are into it. They might come out with the drivers for Vista soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Looks like it is not compatible & no amount of coaxing will make it co-operate, hopefully the Lexmark rep wasn't telling fibs and driver support is coming soon.

Did you try the driver for Windows Server 2003 as that's actually what Vista's code base is built off, worth a shot at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on the off chance

read the manual to see if it can emulate other printers ( usually only for very old printers ) and install one of the emulated drivers

• Advertisement
Advertisement