Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom are upgrading another 319 exchanges - No date when though

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would be very surprised Damien if this were not a move to block any other operator out of the National BB scheme wotsit. This list is indeed in addition to

1. c.450 exchanges done
    2. c.100 exchanges announced late last year

and will take the total number of DSL enabled exchanges to 850-900 out of 1200-1300 nationwide leaving few large areas without DSL. That means 1/3 of exhCanges , FAIRLY uniformly small AND RURAL , are not done or on a schedule to be done .

The 100 exchanges announced last year seemed to me to be a blocking move to stop wireless operators in the large towns from moving out from these towns . That was the pattern in Galway . In that list OF 100 LAST YEAR eircom committed to enabling every exchange within more or less 20 miles of Galway that had not been done bar one in Furbo.

In this list they seem to focus on size and also on proximity to NGN grade fibre along main roads and on Meteor .

The missing exchanges in Galway, not on Damiens list here or in other programs, are all small and are all scattered too. On the other hand they are doing lots of small exchanges all over County Galway from Ballyconneely on the west coast near Clifden over to Ballygar on the Roscommon border nearly 100 miles away by road.

It appears to be partially a blocking manoevre against a vapourific national BB plan where the vapourific national BB plan does not involve the taxpayer enabling the other 400 - 450 exchanges at €100k a pop .

The other pattern I note is that meteor coverage is CRAP in all these areas at present and that a 3g network and backhaul also needs building out so its designed to help complete the Meteor build and backhaul for 2g at least and 3g on main roads . The Galway list is pretty uniformly NOT on this map here .

None of the list of 100 announced last year are done yet so this one could take years to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

From all the eircom releases and noises they are pretty much saying they are getting the national broadband tender. They're being even more arrogant that ever before that they'll win it. Despite DCMNR paying 325k for a consultant to figure out how best to go about this and ComReg hiring a Broadband Manager (not me, they turned me down) to manage this thing, eircom are playing it like they got the tender. Funnily enough, eircom seem to be in a hurry to get the rollout going and also to get the Government tender.

They actually hired me , thought I better tell you now :D .

Anyway the objective in Galway from what I see is to improve Meteor 2G coverage and permit arterial 3G coverage and to break up service areas that could sustain a wireless operator , particularly in ne and se and w Galway

It also gives me a crack at mapping their USO fund demands ( by exclusion), all islands are excluded save Achill for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

man, about to look at the list, i was semi hopefull, but then i saw, as usual, my small rural exhange has been overlooked

Well the remainder will never be enabled save in a few exceptional cases , eircom will most likely use their 2.3Ghz wireless spectrum allocation instead to provide a service to the remainder of Ireland.....thats once they have the masts up for Meteor first which is a prerequisite.

Thats why Comreg have appointed a Broadband Manager .

Its to help massage unhelpful eircom wireless licence conditions into a more helpful and amortisable form of licence on the balance sheet . Redefine Rurtel for the next 15 years if you will . This redefinition will be flexible and will not preclude eircom from jiggying the spectrum to 3G or to LTE or 4G as its now known . I am renowned for my phlegmatic pragmatism in these matters .

Comreg do not need a Broadband Manager to help install DSL into eircom exchanges , the Broadband Manager is there to finesse existing licence conditions and to wnsure <cough> optimal <cough> use of this spectrum .

Had you asked me Damien :D I might have told you :D ...but you didn't did you ???

• Advertisement

Actually the broadband manager is under ComReg because thanks to McCreevy, Dempsey can't hire a Dublin based person to look after all that crap.

Edit: Fixed grammar

as for "the date when" as you put it . Simply find out when Vodafone and Three intend to launch HSUPA . A best guess from me is 2009 so eircom will complete this rollout sometime then.

The areas containing exchanges that are not on this or on any other list will not be burdened with any form of 3G services either . That is an essential correlation .

Meteor intend to replicate Vodafones current 3G coverage , more or less.

Vodafone 3G Today .

MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=1800&HEIGHT=1800&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,450000,500000

2G is more widespread as we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I know at least one place that isn't on that list but that has 3G coverage.

From damiens list

Galway

http://www.mulley.net/2007/04/04/eircom-announce-another-300-additional-exchanges-to-be-enabled-no-timeframe/

Abbeyknockmoy (along N63 rd )
    Ahascragh (near N6 / big N/S regional road
    Aughrim (on N6)
    Ballyconneely (wilds of connnemara)
    Ballygar (along N63 rd)
    Ballymoe (along N63 rd)
    Barnaderg ( along N63 rd)
    Belclare (along N17 rd)
    Carnmore ( along N rd / airport rd)
    Castleblakeney (wilds of e Galway / big N/S regional road)
    Clonbern ?
    Cregmore ( along N Rd)
    Duniry overlooking N rd to portumna
    Furbo ( within 20 miles of Galway)
    Kilconly dunno
    Kilconnell along new N6 route
    Kilrickle along N6
    Kiltormer along N rd to portumna / big N/S regional road
    Kiltulla along new N6 route
    Laurencetown along new N6 route and / big N/S regional road
    Leenane wilds of connemara but along N rd and has sh1te 02 coverage
    Lettermore wilds of connemara and sh1te o2 coverage
    Menlough along N63 rd , s of moylough
    Miltown along n17
    Rosmuc wilds of connemara and sh1te o2 coverage
    Tubber along n rd gort loughrea
    Williamstown along big N/S regional road
    Woodford overlooking N rd to portumna

most of these would appear designed around the need to provide 3g and/or 2g coverage along N roads and major regional roads or to fill in big coverage gaps in the meteor network and to block any national bb initiative

The more I look at it the more I see a meteor network buildout pattern with DSL side effect .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

That's really strange, on a previous list of exchanges to be upgraded and distributed by Damien, Turloughmore was present in the Galway section. But now it's not. Does this mean they've dropped it, or was the last list bogus?

• Advertisement

Try the older list. The older list will all be done this year. The newer list could be done anytime past 2008.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My bad, just coped that and deleted my post. 'tis too late for me....

Also forgot to mention that eircom have to roll out one further network this year and next . eircom own over 50% of the Tetra Ireland consortium who will be rolling out the new emergency services wirless network using Tetra systems .

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7652

http://www.tetraireland.ie/

and from this

http://thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=22352-qqqx=1.asp
    Industry sources said the contract would involve capital expenditure of €100 million, with operational and maintenance costs of at least another €100 million over its lifetime. The total value could be around €250million.

Tetra will work at longer distances than GSM , say twice as far , meaning you only need half the cells but will still require cells no more than 25km apart in sparsely populated rural areas and ideally less . There is no meteor network in these areas at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

looks like me and the other 4 percent of eircoms customers are well and truely boned

Advertisement