Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd Provisional after >10 years

Options
  • 04-04-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I got a provisional licence over 10 years ago mainly for id but never got a second one since that time.

Since technically it will be my second provisional do i still have to do the theory test or submit an eye exam report?

Is there some time limit where the fact that i had a provisional licence becomes irrelevant and i am for all intents and purposes a first time licence holder again?

davej

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You can get your 2nd but you have to sit the exam as far as I remember!! Ring them and find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

davej wrote:
    am for all intents and purposes a first time licence holder again?
    Yes. Once is has lapsed by over 5 years it's null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Yep, you'll be regarded as applying for your first provisional all over again and will have to submit an eyesight report and sit the theory test.

From the Provisional Licence application form:

"A person shall be regarded as an applicant for a first provisional licence in respect of a particular vehicle categroy if s/he has not held such a licence in the preceeding five years. In addition, you may NOT apply for a provisional licence if you are disqualified by age, ill health or otherwise or you do not have your normal residence in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah i thought as much. Oh well it was worth a shot..

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

it also means that you will still have to drive accompanied, as like they said, you will be considered a first provisional holder again.

F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just for the record:

Road Traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999

22. (1) (a) Subject to paragraph (b) of this sub-article, a person shall not apply for a provisional licence to drive vehicles of a category where that person has held two or more provisional licences in respect of vehicles in that category unless, within the period of two years ending on the date of application, that person underwent a driving test in relation to vehicles of that category and produces evidence to that effect to the licensing authority.
    (b) A person to whom paragraph (a) relates and who has not produced evidence to the effect that he or she underwent a driving test, may subsequently apply for a provisional licence in respect of that category provided such application is accompanied by evidence that a driving test has been arranged for that person in respect of a vehicle in that category. Subject to the provisions of article 20 (2), a provisional licence granted in accordance with this paragraph shall be for a period of one year.
    (c) Paragraph (a) shall not apply where the applicant satisfies the licensing authority that because of illness, as certified by a registered medical practitioner, the applicant was not in a position to submit to a driving test.
    (2) A person shall not apply for a first provisional licence in respect of vehicles in—

(a) category C1, C, D1 or D unless the person holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category B,
    (b) category EB, EC1, EC, ED1 or ED unless the person holds a driving licence in respect of the drawing vehicle appropriate to the category which is the subject of the application,
    (c) any category in respect of which the person holds a recognised driving licence.
    (3) An application for a provisional licence in respect of a category of vehicles shall be regarded as an application for a first provisional licence in respect of that category unless the applicant held—

(a) a provisional licence in that category at some time within the period of five years preceding the date of application, or

(b) a driving licence issued by the competent authority of a Member State of the European Communities (including Ireland) or of the European Economic Area in that category at some time within the period of ten years preceding the date of application.

Advertisement