Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sevilla Away

Options
  • 04-04-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Well All, whats our expectations of our trip to Spain ? Are we looking for a score draw or what do we think !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

If we win tomorrow it will a record 9 in a row for anyone in the UEFA cup.

would probably settle for score draw.

Only having 1 recognised centre back playing is dreadful planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

galinka wrote:
    Only having 1 recognised centre back playing is dreadful planning.

I disagree Andrew.

Gardner's injury could not have been foretold, we were offered good money for Davenport from West Ham that we'd have been crazy to refuse. Rocha's unavailability is unfortunate, but I'd rather we bought a CB on his strengths rather than on whether he was cup-tied or not. King's not far off his return if reports are to be believed.

As for the game?

I'll settle for a score draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Score draw would be superb, though I'd take any result, even a 0 - 0. Can't wait to see it though!

I'm out on the 7.45 flight tomorrow. Realised this trip is costing me a fortune, €500 for flights+accommodation and another €350 in extra pay from work for Thursday and Friday (public holiday pay)

Worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

score draw would be a fantastic result, is the game on tv lads?

• Advertisement

ah just checked its on ITV1, nice one! C'MON THE F**KING YIDS!!!!!!!!

Also on TV3. Dont agree Ronan i would have kept Davenport and got rid of Gardner!

Some of the crocks returning too - looking at team news.
    Might see King in return leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Halftime 2-1.

Referee is an utter disgrace to football. Penalising us for every tackle made. Doesn't appear to understand the concept of 'getting the ball'. I for one, hope he gets hit by a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

A very stop and start match thanks to our friend the referee :mad: , I've seen Sunday league refs that would put him to shame. He even acknowledged that Robinson got the ball first!! wtf!
    But at least we have an away goal so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Absolutely agree......that ref should be banned from officiating at matches. Sickening to be beaten unfairly at the hands of a blind, brainless, unfamiliar-with-the-rules-of-the-game idiot! Aside from the result, he made the match into a farce, the self-important git :mad: .....would love to see the stats as to how many times he blew his whistle.
    I for one, hope he gets hit by a truck.
    I don't like going that far, but if the truck gets the ball first.....oh, hang on, according to this ref that doesn't make a difference!

Aside from the obvious absolute cock-up that cost us the draw (and probably a win, since Spurs lost concentration after the "penalty", were scared to touch off anyone in the box, and therefore let the second in far too easily), the w**k*r seemed to judge every header or challenge by the rugby rule that you can't have contact with another player when off the ground, even if both players have their eye on the ball :rolleyes:

I thought it was just a crap mindset of the continental non-contact soccer, but when Lennon got a nudge on the edge of the penalty box, the same ref waved play on; it (like Robbo's challenge) WASN'T a peno, but if the ref was consistent then it should have been awarded.....

Home town decisions ? Just a ****e ref ? Who knows ? My view: Both.

All I know is that with a standard ref who allows you to challenge for a ball, Seville are in for a roasting at WHL.......nothing unfair, nothing dirty, but we'll be able to let 'em know we're there without having a ref blow every time there's feather-like contact.

All we need is a one-nil win, remember.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Lads, Im not trolling, Im a Utd supporter, but have been watching Spurs for most of the season, and I have to say, I think you were hard done by last night.

Referee was an absolute disgrace, I dont know what UEFA were thinking of. I was watching the match, and could actually feel myself clenching my fists, honestly, I wanted to thump him!

Any word on an appeal? Not that it would do much good, but at least it would ensure that this ref never adjudicate high profile matches again.

I think Lawro got it right

"Sure where's he from? Luxembourg? No disrespect, but the standard of football there wouldnt be that great..."

Having spent many years in the middle i can definitely say this guy was awful - no way was it a penalty. Some of the injury fegining by Seville was a disgrace.
    I have no fears for replay - we will crush these Spanish gringos - do i hear 3-0 anyone.

Of course unless we get a referee from some place like Luxembourg!

BBC says that initial reviews claim their was no fan on fan fighting when the police charged the away stand. Also, a disabled fan was hit out of his wheelchair.

TV3 didn't show any pictures of what was going on, anyone know the story?

Tottenham officials and fans have distanced themselves from blame following the ugly scenes in Seville which included Spanish police being accused of hitting a disabled fan.

Spurs fans claim to be victims of an unprovoked attack at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium, where the Spanish authorities were persuaded to eventually remove police from the away support.

Club secretary John Alexander confirmed that Spurs' safety officer, a Football Association security advisor and police who travelled from London were involved in organising the change after half-time of the 2-1 defeat for Martin Jol's men against Sevilla.

"As soon as the police were removed from that section there was no more trouble," he said.

But during the trouble in the first half, Spurs fans clashed with riot police following a problem with getting supporters into the stadium on time and subsequent segregation issues.

It was during these flashpoints that seats were thrown at police and a disabled fan was allegedly "set upon".

Alexander said: "We have been distressed to hear about incidents involving our supporters at a time when they were showing no aggression whatsoever and also in respect of our disabled supporters being set upon by the Spanish riot police.

"We need to understand how we are in a position whereby we have two clearly identifiable Spurs stewards assaulted by the Spanish police, along with our disability co-ordinator being injured too."

He added: "There was one disabled fan who we know was hit with a baton with such force that it knocked him out of his wheelchair."

Police clashed with Manchester United fans in Rome 24 hours before Tottenham's UEFA Cup quarter-final first leg in Spain, with the injuries suffered by travelling supporters this week raising the issue of taking legal action against negligent officials.

Sports lawyer Mel Goldberg feels that the disabled fan would have a case if the attack was proven, but other supporters would be unsuccessful.

"If the disabled fan took action against the police he should be successful, clearly he wasn't a threat," said Goldberg. "For the other people, the police will say they were provoked and were trying to keep law and order."

UEFA have launched investigations into the incidents in Rome and Seville this week, although they have not discussed possible sanctions.

"Any talk of sanctions is pure speculation, it has not been discussed," said UEFA communications director William Gaillard. "The control and disciplinary body is a fully independent body and we and they will look at the evidence."

While Manchester United fans face the prospect of the conduct of their fans being questioned for a second European away game running, Spurs supporters insist the Spanish police were to blame in Seville.

Daniel Wynne, of Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust, told Sky Sports News: "The pictures are of seats being thrown but that was 15 minutes after an unprovoked attack by the police. When they retreated the trouble stopped."

Spurs have also stressed that there was no fan-to-fan fighting.

Alexander added: "There seemed to be no reason why our supporters should have been pushed and crowded into a section of the stadium.

"It was a police decision and we're trying to find out who made that decision and why."

Spurs goalkeeper Paul Robinson, who on the wrong end of poor refereeing decision for Sevilla's equaliser, added: "You don't know who is to blame until it's looked into. There is claim and counter-claim, so it will have to be looked at properly."

Frederic Kanoute's spot-kick cancelled out Robbie Keane's opener, with Alexander Kerzhakov establishing an advantage before next week's second leg at White Hart Lane.

Spanish media focused on Sevilla's victory rather than the trouble in the stands, highlighting the different approach to crowd disturbances and policing on the continent.

"It makes you appreciate the policing at grounds in England," added Wynne.

Spurs fans have been asked to email seville.report@tottenhamhotspur.com with information about the evening.

Meanwhile, Haringey police chief Simon O'Brien, at the match as an observer, also questioned the police's approach.

Chief Superintendent O'Brien said: "I was able to witness first hand the events in Seville.

"The Spurs fans' behaviour was excellent throughout the day and the Spurs stewards did what I can only describe as a remarkable and commendable job at the match. I shall be assisting fully with the investigation.

"What I would say now is that it was quite clear that there was a different level of police intervention to that which we employ in the UK and the introduction of the police during the match in one particular section of the crowd undoubtedly contributed to the disturbances that we saw."

O'Brien's comments have been endorsed by Andy Smith, the Football Association's security advisor who was also present at the match.

Tottenham fan and Sky Sports presenter Clare Tomlinson also attended the match as a supporter.

She condemned the behaviour of the police, saying: "We were watching the game but you couldn't do that because they kept running down the aisles and hitting out at the supporters.

"Then they say the supporters are reacting. When you're watching girls being hit, when you're watching disabled fans being attacked, people aren't just going to stand back and say 'well, that's okay'.

"Clearly, they're going to try and make their point known.

"I had people crying on my shoulder asking me to help them. All you could do was cushion the blows.

"When you tried to speak these people, the police, they just pushed you away."

She added on Sky Sports News: "At half-time, we all got out of the stand - some of the people I was with - we all stood right at the back.

"There were five girls there with two lads and the police came at us there. We were clearly trying to get out of the way of the trouble and they threw us down some stairs and the boys got hit.

"If fans are going to that extent of trying to keep away from it then really the police have got some questions to answer."

Lads, Im not trolling, Im a Utd supporter, but have been watching Spurs for most of the season, and I have to say, I think you were hard done by last night.

Thanks fella.

I got baton charged down a set of stairs last night, then hammered when lying on the ground. The Spanish police are scum, the only hooligans there were in uniform. I know of women who had their arms broken, and fellas in wheelchairs who were hit by riot police.

Does anyone feel that over the last couple of seasons we have had quite the shafting karma-wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

UEFA will do **** all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

While the incidents with the police were disgraceful, I'm afraid that they also served to take away the chance to complain about the ref's disastrous performance.

If the mini-riot hadn't happened, the f**k-up would have been the only talking point; is it too much like Mulder to suggest that the distraction of the riot suited the ref, since that took over the media headlines ?

Otherwise the headlines would have simply been: "****e ref screws Spurs"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Thanks fella.

I got baton charged down a set of stairs last night, then hammered when lying on the ground. The Spanish police are scum, the only hooligans there were in uniform. I know of women who had their arms broken, and fellas in wheelchairs who were hit by riot police.

Seems like you really got a raw deal off the OB over there !! Cant believe they were lumping in to kids and women etc...thats bad form, and for no reason !!

Will there be revenge on some peoples minds this Thursday Ronan...or will it be a friendly enough atmosphere !!

p.s. how can I open the pics..just showing up as small squares on screen, wont let me save them even:mad:

Hatch99 wrote:

Will there be revenge on some peoples minds this Thursday Ronan...or will it be a friendly enough atmosphere !!

Shouldn't be mate, there was no bother with their fans last week. In fact, we had a ball with a few of 'em before the game, and more than a few apologised to me on the way back to my hotel for the treatment we received.

From last weekend's Seville-Santander game:

sevilla-racing2.jpg

"Hitting people with batons...how Spanish"
    Hatch99 wrote:
    p.s. how can I open the pics..just showing up as small squares on screen, wont let me save them even:mad:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/therecklessone/yids/DSCN1715.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/therecklessone/yids/DSCN1716.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/therecklessone/yids/DSCN1729.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/therecklessone/yids/DSCN1730.jpg

They should all work if you click on 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

quality,cheers

Advertisement