Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in new build

Options
  • 04-04-2007 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭

We are at the stage of slabing in our new build, it will start next tuesday. The plastering is to start on the 16th April.We knew from working in the house over the winter that we had company, ie mice. But last weekend whilst working we noticed a huge amount of droppings, especially in the dormer section. Its like a pooulation explosion happened, most likely as i believe from start to finish a baby mouse only takes 9 days !. Waht is the most effective way of depopulating the house before the slabbing and plastering ? A combination of Sonic devices and traps ?. Any one out there have to deal with this scenario. Or will they just go , now that the weather is getting better ! Still at a loss as to how they are getting in and out, as there is no food in house to sustain them.

Thanks
    secman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Were not as advanced at dealing with mice as some of the other forums. Dont really know where to move this to but I'll start with passing it on to delly in the DIY forum - sure he loves mice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

those ultrasonic devices DO NOT work at all, dont waste your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Traps are the only way to go. Use the old fashioned wooden spring traps as the newer plastic ones are useless.

You could also try poison but be warned, if one of the little feckers dies in between the floorboards, his rotting body will cause a stink that'll last for a week - speaking from experience here!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

muffler wrote:
    Were not as advanced at dealing with mice as some of the other forums. Dont really know where to move this to but I'll start with passing it on to delly in the DIY forum - sure he loves mice :D
    Yep, there very tasty :eek:

You'll find a previous thread on the subject here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

broadsheet wrote:
    those ultrasonic devices DO NOT work at all, dont waste your money.
    the good ones work, not the cheapo things from Aldi,
    secman wrote:
    i believe from start to finish a baby mouse only takes 9 days
    almost, its 19 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I had a similar problem (but not so many mice, less than 10 in total over a few months) as already stated good old fashioned wood traps, I always use Nutella for bait, always seems to do the trick. Traps positioned next to walls and in areas where there is obvious activity. Blitz the place with 10 or more traps, reset every evening and you should make a decent impact.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks guys,

Goinn hunting this weekend, i'm off all next week too ,so have 10 days or so to see how many I can catch. Will let you know on the casualty count.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do-more wrote:
    I always use Nutella for bait, always seems to do the trick. .
    Nutella enhances the splatter bonus..!

Advertisement