Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing for Garden

Options
  • 04-04-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Where can you get good affordable metal fencing for a garden (1/2 acre) to keeep a large dog from escaping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

For 299.00 get the radio fence and collar system - i assure you, the dog will try to escape once, maybe twice but not three times. The activation distance from the fence can be altered to suit you needs. Standard package comer with enough cabling for 3/4 acre at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

NauP wrote:
    For 299.00 get the radio fence and collar system - i assure you, the dog will try to escape once, maybe twice but not three times. The activation distance from the fence can be altered to suit you needs. Standard package comer with enough cabling for 3/4 acre at least.

The only concern I would have with the radio fence is that if the cable ever got cut and the circuit was broken or damaged then it would be useless, or if the dog charged through it after a cat would it still be effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

With regard to cutting the wire, you will need to sink it about 1-2 inchs where there is a chance of it being cut and even if it happens, the control unit will show a break in the circut. As for the dog chasing a cat through it, after the dog gets its first and perhaps second shock, and provided the basic training is followed when the system was installed, the dog will not chance it.
    I purchased one from 'The Pet People' in Ballinasloe (in the golden pages) to try to keep my very active retriever from wandering and it is working a treat -1/2 acre, multiple exit points (not to mention an easily jumpable wall). They offer a 100% satisfaction or full refund. Give them a call - it will work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

what do you call the type of fencing with concrete pillars that support metal mesh wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Vas_Guy wrote:
    what do you call the type of fencing with concrete pillars that support metal mesh wire?

Chain Link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

NauP wrote:
    I wouldn't rely on the radio fence. I have 3 friends who used it and 2 of them had the misfortune of the dogs straying. One was recovered safely, the other was killed on the road. They have all had several faults which required the supplier to correct.
    I have hedging with sheep wire, plus walls and railings and never had a dog get loose in 23 years.

Looking for GOOD, AFFORDABLE, and METAL fencing is a contradiction. Good fencing is not cheap and metal fencing if dearer still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

There is a thread in animals & Pet Issues in relation to radio fence here it is for your information.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055067355

Advertisement