Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career engineer

Options
  • 04-04-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

It has long been my dream to be a professional engineer/producer but for various reasons I never really pursued it.

Ive had a modest home set up for years starting in the late 80's with a fostex 4 track and currently with a Roland DAW plus various other rack units etc.

Im now at a cross roads in my life careerwise. Ive been in sales since i left school and pretty much hated doing it ever since (over 20 years).

Essentially I stuck with it because it pays the bills. For some years very handsomely. But I have never been happy doing it. On the other hand sitting in my home 'studio' for hours on end has always been a massive source of comfort for me.

Now Im thinking it might be time to finally chase my dream.

But I always thought that it would be a very difficult area to succeed in.

With all the colleges spitting out graduates and very few pro studios to take them.

Am I right? I'd imagine a very small number actually get employed.

What are the chances of a 40 year old newcommer making a living out of engineering?

Am I kidding myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You're probably right about how difficult it is to break into professional engineering. But I read an article in SoS recently pointing out all the alternative but similar careers one could go for: mastering engineer, sound designer, audio programmer, forensic/restorative audio engineer, acoustic engineer and equipment designer are a few that I can remember.

A friend of mine just out of college has started his own business doing sound design/advertising jingles. He's enjoying it immensely. Maybe starting your own business might be a good way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Your chance of being employed are slim. Why would a studio take a mature unproven talent with bills to pay over an unproven teenager with no bills to pay who will happily work for free? I'm in the same situation myself. Youth has the advantage because the likes of you or I will be looking for some sort of reimbursement, a kid living at home can dedicate themselves to being a gofer and learning on the job in between making the cups of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Do it. What have you really, really got to lose in the grander scheme of your whole life? As long as you're not putting yourself at risk of losing your home or going into debt I'd say that if it's your dream then you have an obligation to yourself to do it. But then I am that way inclined and beleive that more people should shake of the shackles of the rat race and do what the hell they really want. There's alot more to life than a mortgage and 90 minute daily commute.

As for your age? For f**k sake you're 40, not 70!! My uncle is in his late 50's and he is doing a degree in architecture. As long as you're good enough and persistent enough (that bit is very important) you'll find work. Or do what I did, set up your own studio and work for yourself. Many engineers find themselves splintering off into various facets they may not have expected when they started, if you really want to do it give it a bash and find out where it brings you. BUT, like I said above, don't do anything mad like get into crazy debt or lose your house in the hope of becoming a world famous producer!

I'd say that you should look at all the available couses out there, pick one, give it everything and take it from there. That simple. It might not seem the perfect option now, but couple your sales experience with a good qualifictaion in sound and you could work with some of the Irish based pro-audio suppliers like Digidesign or Presonus. Selling what you love in the week and using all that cheap/free gear you'll get (and know inside out) to record yourself or others for cash on the weekends in your converted garage. It could be a lot worse I tell you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Maccattack wrote:
    Essentially I stuck with it because it pays the bills. For some years very handsomely. But I have never been happy doing it. On the other hand sitting in my home 'studio' for hours on end has always been a massive source of comfort for me.
    Beware. When you get into the business of being a full time engineer, you wont find very much comfort from it. It will become your daily slog. As for whether you can drum enough work to keep busy, I'd have my doubts but its not an age thing, its about supply and demand. There simply isnt a demand for the number of "Engineers" (and I use the term very loosely).
    We have the explosion of the bedroom producer to thank for that.

On the other hand, if you are highly skilled in what you do then you will be successful regardless of your age. Same with everything, Engineers are common as muck but good ones are diamonds in the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Man i can't even get work experience with PA companies, it's awful tough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 REC

Maccattack, you will need luck and more luck. because recording engineers market very busy. try to get friends who in business already. Because industry have enough skilled guys.

Advertisement