Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Minor Paint repairs - How to beat the BLOB !?!

Options
  • 04-04-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I want to carry out some minor paint repairs - in the territory of small scratches, stone chips etc.

It is of course easy enough to add in paint [we will just assume primer layer is intact etc.]

- But I was wondering how do you bring that inevitable blob of paint down to level with the original paint work before buffing the finished product for that showroom shine ?

Anyone have the tips and tricks used by the panel beaters and outfits like Chips Away so this can be done at home on an Easter Sat. afternoon :D

I'm aware of T-Cut, Rubbing Compound and ultra-fine grit wet & dry sandpapering. But when it comes to finsihing touched up paintwork without damaging the surrounding/intact paint I'm sure you need guidance and know-how re. tips/technique etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Raiser wrote:
    But I was wondering how do you bring that inevitable blob of paint down to level with the original paint
    A good buffing with some compound will do the trick (don't bother with T-Cut), it can also get rid of small minor scratches if there not bad, as for stone chips you will have to touch them up. Don't worry about leaving blobs when you do this if your going to give the car a good buffing, just remember to leave the touch ups to dry for a few days, personally I'd leave them to dry for a week.

Buffering :

Make sure surface is clean and no dust, apply the micro compound with a foam applicater and a quarter size drop of compound on trunk to get a feel of process! work a 2ft by 2ft area starting out slow then procede to 1600 rpms and move in a back and forth motion slowly until no more compound is visible.Do this a couple of times and go to the next 2ft area,always 2ft by 2 ft on large areas. Make sure to always keep the buffer head and the area your working wet so you don't burn the paint. Get yourself a spray bottle and spray area and head every min or so. Also after every square you do, wipe it clean and apply polish and polish up to a shine.

If you have moldings on the car its best to tape off until your happy with control of buffer.Warning these rotory buffers turn speeds up to 3000 rpm's and even at 1000 rpms if you hit a mirror or any edge or corner that buffer can bounce back and cause injury, and never turn upside down or side ways when buffing as the cord can catch the head and snag the cord and cause injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey - thanks a million for your reply - sorry for the delay - have been away on holidays..........

Will get to work with supplied info. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Glad to help, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Any chance someone could to me how to do stone chip removal. I tried with the harfords paints and just got blobs.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

You need to apply it in very light coats with a toothpick, build up layers then allow it to harden for a day or two, then remove excess.

Langka's Blob Eliminator is quite good or Touch Up 123 when used correctly.

www.langka.com or www.touchup123.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Quick question lads, I was thinking of getting myself a small compressor and paint gun for any smallish jobs that might need to be done, was thinking in the region of 200 euros. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The link below is well worth a read..........

..........Anyone know where to buy 2000 grit sandpaper ?

Halfords have up to 1000/1200 only I think.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/926/

Advertisement