Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another "Which car?" thread

Options
  • 04-04-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all, just looking for peoples opinions

VW Golf 1.4/1.9 vs BMW 316/318

20 years old
    Premiums of 1.1k vs 1.2k
    Budget of ~5k for car
    Fuel economy is a small factor also, I'm guessing the 1.9 Golf would be a better choice? Would the 1.7 318 be much better than the 316?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

personally i'd go for the 1.9tdi golf if you can find a decent one in your price range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You'd be as well to go for the 316 rather than the 318 (unless it's the twin-cam "is") - there's not a lot of difference in performance.
    I'm biased against vw, so I'd just say forget them altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd forget the Golf too, get an older beemer, thinking of doing the same myself, found an auto one for 5k, going to drive it Friday if it's still there

isnt the 316 way underpowered though?

not as underpowered as a 1.4 Golf

• Advertisement

yes true, but a 1.9tdi 115bhp golf would be better than a 1.6 102bhp 316 wouldn't it?

between the 1.4 golf and the beemer theres no contest indeed, the 1.4 golf is useless

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

draffodx wrote:
    yes true, but a 1.9tdi 115bhp golf would be better than a 1.6 102bhp 316 wouldn't it?

between the 1.4 golf and the beemer theres no contest indeed, the 1.4 golf is useless

The OP says he has a budget of €5k so you will not get much of a 115bhp TDi Golf for that sort of money. More than likely a MkIV with intergalactic mileage.

I would go to the UK and see about finding a clean mid to late 1990s BMW E36 318is coupe. The 318is has 130bhp compared to the standard 318i which has about 115bhp. Much better speced than Irish cars and generally better looked after too.

I would forget about a 316i which pretends to be a BMW imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

As Bazz said, you're not going to get much in the way of a Golf tdi for 5k. You could however pick up a Skoda or Seat tdi a good deal cheaper than a VW.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=623540

or this one - mileage not mentioned though:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=648055

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PMC187

Thanks for the input folks, ill definitley check out the Skoda and Seat options, although I did see a lovely 318 TDS for sale today. Its only 90 odd bhp though right? A bit underpowered perhaps?

Actually, what do you drive now, which would be an indication of whether or not you'll be happy with performance

• Advertisement
Advertisement