Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! Illegal System DLL Relocation

• 04-04-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

For some reason, possibly related to some Windows Update activity, of which I've noticed a flurry of in recent days, some programs have stopped functioning.

On startup, the service quickstart.exe, and any time I try to start the File Manager (winfile.exe, carried over from Windows NT) I get the following message:
    The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occured because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows System DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.
    :confused: WTF?

Aren't shell32.dll and user32.dll both "Windows system" DLLs? This only started happening today.

These are the the only two programs that I've found so far, and neither of them work at all because of whatever happened.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

System Restore may get you out of this pickle. Windows Update creates a restore point each time you install updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

I should have thought of that myself, when I went into System Restore I found a checkpoint called "Software Distribution Service 2.0" at 3.00 AM today.

It now seems that some errant Windows Update - possibly this "Software Distribution Service" that caused the trouble. I know because after rolling back, the programs work, but when the most recent update reapplied, the problems came back. So I rolled it back again.

So it looks like time to kill Automatic Updates.

Last question - the unwanted update seems to have got itself back into the system queue for installation, and it has modified my "Turn Off" button to say "Install Updates and Turn Off."

Obviously I don't want that to happen.

Anyway to kill Updates in the Update cache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

maybe follow this link and do the steps
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165152
    mite be better to keep automatic updates on or ya may forget to do it yourself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

SeanW wrote:

I should have thought of that myself, when I went into System Restore I found a checkpoint called "Software Distribution Service 2.0" at 3.00 AM today.

It now seems that some errant Windows Update - possibly this "Software Distribution Service" that caused the trouble. I know because after rolling back, the programs work, but when the most recent update reapplied, the problems came back. So I rolled it back again.

So it looks like time to kill Automatic Updates.

Last question - the unwanted update seems to have got itself back into the system queue for installation, and it has modified my "Turn Off" button to say "Install Updates and Turn Off."

This happened to me today aswell after a windows update.
    Restore worked fine then my laptop updated again and the same thing has happened again.
    obviously a windows problem in the lastest update.
    Im using XP by the way.

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DO NOT DO A RESTORE OR A RECOVERY

Sorry. Had to write that in big writing, as there's a simple fix for it. I'll look for it in a bit, but its a conflict between a security update, and Realtek.

/edit
    Found it. Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

Thanks to Stephen (one of the guys at work) for that one. We had a lot of calls about that issue. Any techs out there, take note, as you'll be getting users ringing in over the next few days about it.

• Advertisement

Edit: quickstart.exe, one of the affected programs, belongs to OpenOffice 2.1

It didn't work :( Downloaded the patch, installed it, even restarted but still, neither programme can function with the latest patches.

I've simply had to kill Windows Update and rollback to 3rd of April, because there IS NO OTHER WAY I COULD GET THOSE PROGRAMS TO WORK!!!!

Please don't write with such obscene typeface again unless there is a good reason.

I think it's time for me to report this issue to Microsoft because it's their update thats screwing everything up, how can I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Thanks Syco Worked perfectly for me.

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Thanks as well syco, that did the job for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SeanW wrote:
    I think it's time for me to report this issue to Microsoft because it's their update thats screwing everything up, how can I do that?
    The "report this problem" to microsoft is your only answer. Or you can tell us what Windows you are running (98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista), what version (original, SP1, SP2), and we'll go from there.

Giving us the minimum infomation, will get you a solution for the maximum amount of people.

Sorry, should have been more clear perhaps.

I have Windows XP Professional 32 bit OEM Service Pack 2, installed about 4 momths ago, it had Windows Update on always until yesterday.

Details of the computer as in my sig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hotfix didn't work for me.

It's only affecting my Lastfm exe atm, haven't come across any other issues but I can't open the player at all still.

Can't do a restore cos I have it turned off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

SeanW wrote:

Isnt there another option under the icons along the lines of " turn off without installing updates" in small text ?

I dealt with that, by letting it install, turning off the Internet connection, rolling back, and turning off Automatic Updates.

Everything works now :) but I don't view this is a permanent solution because I'm vulnerable to the ANI exploit which is why I suppose they fubbed up System32.dll, and whatever else was sorted out in the 3rd of April updates.

Kaimera, if you would like me to E-Mail you my working but outdated System32.dll and User32.dll files, PM me.

Advertisement