Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie burger/BBQ eats

Options
  • 04-04-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Hey - we're having a BBQ tomrw and there is no way I'm gonna serve
    those frozen veggie burgers to the vegetarians again!!

Has anyone any suggestions? Is there something I could make with mashed up chick peas. Kinda like a big flalfel - I was wondering how I'd get them to stick together (would flour be enough?).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I find the nut cutlets that Tesco do are quite nice done on the bbq. A lot nicer than regular veggie burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

the linda mc cartney sausages are lovely on the bbq. any you type of sausages should be lovely. vegetables work very well too :)

you'd have to find a recipe for the flalfal, but i know you can buy ready mix stuff in some health food stores. my mother has made flafal at home, but i find it always ends up a bit crumbly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Chickpea cutlets:

Soak the chick peas overnight - but don't put them anywhere near any heat just yet or they'll lose their binding qualities. For the same reason don't use tinned ones.

Finely chop onion, garlic, leeks, celery & mushrooms (plus whatever else you fancy) and stew slowly in lots of olive oil until really soft and well cooked down. Season well with soy sauce, tomato puree, chilli, herbs, salt & pepper, perhaps a dash of vinegar.

destroy chickpeas in a food processor until they're well mashed. Add a bit of olive oil (or some tahini is good) to loosen up the mix.

Now mix the chickpeas and stewed veg together, make into patties and slap 'em on the barbie. You can roll them in sesame seeds berforehand if you like, makes them look prettier.

A bit time-consuming, but the best things in life are rarely achieved quickly.

I know the quantities are a bit vague, sorry about that, I always cook by sight. However, you want about half and half chickpea mix to veg mix and you should be right. Just don't heat the chick peas until they go on the barbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Depends whether they eat dairy products or not, but I always love halloumi cheese on a barbecue. Very tasty.

Advertisement