Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost the key to my Corrolla

Options
  • 04-04-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

:( I lost one of the keys to my Toyota Corrolla (1997) - someone took my jacket in the pub (drinking coke!), and the key was in the pocket. My spare key won't open the boot for some reason :confused:

So where do I get a new one? How much??

Someone suggested I go to a breakers yard and get a lock and key from them. Has anybody ever done this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

get your chassis number from your tax cert. then ring the toyota dealer, explain and they will give u a code. go to a key cutting place with the code and they'll give you a shiney new key

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

get your chassis number from your tax cert. then ring the toyota dealer, explain and they will give u a code. go to a key cutting place with the code and they'll give you a shiney new key

Really? It's that simple? :)

Just ring any Toyota Dealer? I didn't buy it from a Toyota Dealer, I bought it privately.
    (Apols for stupid questions)

Annie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

doesnt matter if you didnt, they should have it all on the computer system. did for my old citroen anyway.
    key will prob cost you 20+ to get it cut.

doesnt matter if you didnt, they should have it all on the computer system. did for my old citroen anyway.
    key will prob cost you 20+ to get it cut.

Excellent. Thanks for that info.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does your spare key open your door? If it does spray some wd40 into the lock mechanism of the boot and onto the key before trying it again.

If your spare key has a code on it you may be able to get a replacement from the code rather then the key (same as from toyota)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if yours is the new 1997 model (round headlights) then it's likely that the spare key you have is the grey "valet key". this will unlock the doors and start the engine, but will not open the boot or glovebox lock (where fitted). you can order a new key using your spare key and the chassis number of the car. ensure that you order a MASTER key, or else you won't be able to unlock your boot.

Went into Toyota dealer today and they are getting a new key cut for only €13.

A friend (who claims to be a car enthusiast) told me I would have to replace all the locks and it was going to cost around €300 so thanks everybody for your help.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

just hope he doesnt know where you live as the lost key can still start your car, and unless your other key is black they wont be able to code in the new one with grey key

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like an old model without an immobiliser. just a case of cutting the key.

Advertisement