Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gratin cheesey potatoes

• 04-04-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Does any one have a simple recipie for either garlic gratin sliced potatoes or cheese gratin potatoes. I can never get them to turn out right

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

I'd be interested too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

I'd be interested too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yup!

Slice spuds thinly (I think some mandolins does them TOO thinly, and they turn to mush)
    Rub the inside of the dish with butter + garlic.
    I layer the spuds with salt, pepper, garlic + nutmeg.

You can either do all cream, cream + milk or just milk.
    Cream, obviously has the best results.

The trick here is - do NOT overfill the dish! Lets say -
    a small cream would do a dish for 4.
    Then grate cheese on top. Cook for about 45 - 60 mins in a moderate oven.
    You can cover the dish loosely with tin foil (make sure it doesn't touch the cheese) then take it off for the last 20 mins.
    You don't want the cheese to get too burnty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sounds great olaola, have some cream left over from a carbonara I made yesterday and was wondering what to do with it, now I know!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

olaola, the nutmeg sounds like a fantastic addition.

I often do a gratin without any cream or milk at all:

Slice potatoes thinly
    Layer in dish alternately with butter, cheese, garlic & seasoning, finishing off with cheese. Gruyere is great, but anything will do. (I sometimes add mustard and thinly sliced mushrooms for a bit of extra flavour)

Cook slowly - about an hour in a moderate oven, gas 4 (I don't understand all this electric talk) - I think this is the trick.

Gratins are great, you can put just about anything in there really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lads, the nutmeg is a genius addition. It really makes it.
    mmmm... cheesycreamypotatoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

The nutmeg truly is genius but if you're looking for a healthier option than cream I sometimes use Creme Fraiche or cottage cheese which has very very little fat & little taste but a great consistency.

Also, I think the key is Plenty of garlic, I think it loses some flavour in the cooking so I always allow for about 2 extra cloves than I would normally use (obviously not great if you're on a date but luckily I dont have to worry about things like that, my b/f loves garlic just as much as me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

great I will try them all I like the idea of the nutmeg thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Nigella Lawson has a recipie for such a dish that is fantastic! Use Emmental cheese for outstanding results!

Advertisement