Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is mayweather exciting?

• 04-04-2007 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

henryb wrote:
    As you all know the big fight is coming up shortly and im really
    looking forward to it, as im sure everybody on this forum is.
    My own take on it is that it might be one fight to many for
    oscar, but hopefully im proven wrong.
    While i know mayweather is probably rated pound/pound
    the best in the world at the min and maybe rightly so, as
    his record is immpecable he just doesnt excite me like
    so many other great champs, present and past have done.
    Would any body else here share my views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

Yes i find him exciting but he does not always fight for the crowd, I believe thats because he values the win above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I can appreciate what he does but do I find it exciting ?............no .
    He's become more and more of a safety first fighter and is less willing to engage .
    I can't blame him for winning in the easiest way possible but when he whinges after fights because people don't like him/his style(people walked out of the Baldomir 'fight') it does annoy me . If you're going to fight like that the majority of people won't find it entertaining and certainly no casual fan will enjoy it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

After one of his fights,i believe it was castillo(open to correction here)in which he engaged in a slugfest and should have lost on points he has modified his style totally.
    He is now above all else interested in defence,mind you when you have the defensive movement he has it should be utilised.
    The way he boxes is not exciting for a casual fan but for a boxing enthusiast he can be a joy to watch and admire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As for non stop all out war and action, no he does not, but he is mesmerising to watch. His speed, skills and defensive work I would rather marvel at than the blood guts and thrills a minute. A bit like Sweet Pea, cagey and cautious but at his best a joy to watch, how effortless and skillfull he was. I think that's the two sides to boxing really. Everyone loves a good ding dong battle, all out punching and drama, but we can still appreciate a pure speedster and stylist like Floyd and Pea and even the great Ali/Clay. It does not come better than watching Clay dance in 1964 V Liston and deliver such fast crisp combos all the time on the backfoot. One of the best displays of ring skill and artistry I have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

please dont compare the defence of mayweather and whittaker,.......
    pernell whittaker was fantastic to watch !!! his defensive skills were straight out of hollywood,........ mayweather is a runner, and if he's afraid to engage with a sluggish baldomir, then he wont get close to oscar,.......who is a fulll stone heavier then the "pretty boy".

the sooner mayweather retires the better,...... no wonder the state of boxing today is so bad with pbf in as pound4pound champion.

the media made him p4p champ ,..... after that fight with gatti.
    A gatti grew old overnight,...and has been miles away from competitive for quite some time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5v_PNsl4Q

• Advertisement

Mayweather is certainly no sweet pea that's for sure , nor is he a Meldrick Taylor as some(not really here) have liked to claim .

He has become a pot shotter who refuses to engage and concentrates mainly on not getting hit(by being out of range) , then using his speed of foot and hand to land a shot and then go out of range again .

Despite Baldomir's amazingly slow handspeed he was still able to land plenty of body shots(although hardly any head shots) , so De La Hoya may punch to the body against him a lot not only to slow him down but to find the target much easier than if he were to go to the head .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kanibus

He doesn't excite like he used to. But I always enjoy wtaching him fight as I am always garenteed a near flawless performance and a master class in "hit & not be hit" which is what boxings about.

Big Ears wrote:
    Mayweather is certainly no sweet pea that's for sure , nor is he a Meldrick Taylor as some(not really here) have liked to claim .

He has become a pot shotter who refuses to engage and concentrates mainly on not getting hit(by being out of range) , then using his speed of foot and hand to land a shot and then go out of range again .

Despite Baldomir's amazingly slow handspeed he was still able to land plenty of body shots(although hardly any head shots) , so De La Hoya may punch to the body against him a lot not only to slow him down but to find the target much easier than if he were to go to the head .

And is it effective big ears?. PBF gets the job done without taking much punishment. Isn't that the whole concept of boxing. His footwork and balance and ability to hit and not be hit are top class and he definitely deserves to be mentioned as a great defensive as well as offensive fighter.
    You guys make out that what he does is the 'simple' option or the easy option. I say it is the most difficult and Pea and Pep and Ali etc etc were masters of fighting on the back foot, slipping and riding punches. Efforless brilliance

Of course it's brilliantly effective , I never tried to say it wasn't . But my point was that he is not exciting in his defensive boxing unlike Sweet Pea , Ali and even Pep , who all would stand and trade ever so often . The Meldrick Taylor was used as an example of a guy with incredible handspeed who loved to fight on the inside and excite fans .

I'm not doubting how good he is , i'm only saying the guy is boring as hell and that similarly brilliant fighters in the past with his kind of skills weren't so negative .

I know from your post you were NOT dissing him. I just happen to think he was as good as Pea. Better offensively when he wanted to be and had just as good a defense. He was also quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I have to say mayweather,s ability is exciting but he does not care if he excites fans or not-his job is to win and he does it well, but sometimes i think he's hard to like, but check this out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS8PxWYiaMM awesome hand speed and skill,,,

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement