Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Core 2 Duo Build

Options
  • 04-04-2007 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking to build a Core 2 Duo System May/June to replace my Current Celeron System.

Current Setup is:
    Celeron D 3.06Mhz
    250GB Samsung HD (Master)
    120GB Seagate HD (Slave)
    1x512MB DDR PC3200 RAM
    1x256MB DDR PC3200 RAM
    ATI 9600XT
    DVD-RW Drive
    Floppy Drive
    MSI Motherboard that dues not support Core Duo 2
    Mini Tower Case
    LG 17" Flatscreen
    Logitech Keyboard
    MS Mouse

Obviously I am going to need new DDR2 RAM, Graphics Card (Nothing flashy as I don't need to play the latest games) and a core 2 duo CPU. I'd say I have a budget of around 500 Euro, and most of the stuff is going to have to come via Retail or Elara, because I can't use my Maestro card online so please do not recommend people like Dabs or UK Mail Order companies, it's a waste of my time and yours.

I just need it for web work, a bit of football manager, and internet mainly, it also obviously needs to have onboard LAN and Sound for the motherboard unless I can get decent cards for the price above.

No doubt I will need Heatsink, Fans and PSU too.

Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For RAM get whatever DDR-2 533/667/800 you can get your hands on performance wise there isn't that much of a difference. I would try and get at least 1GB of RAM though, this stuff will do the job.

For graphics if you want something with a bit of 3D power and quiet try this or if you don't really care about 3D then this will suffice.

This Asus P965 will handle support the Core 2 Duo or if you want something a bit cheaper this ECS P965 board will do as well.

For the power supply I'd go with something like this.

Should be enough options there to fit in your budget, as for the cooler if you buy a retail Core 2 it comes with a CPU cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jjohnson1984

I'm looking at least a gig of ram. it's amazing to see how much ram has come down recentley.

Card wise I'd say the first one is overkill for my needs with the second too basic really. Anything you can recommend inbetween for a decent price?

Would rather go with the ASUS board as they're more tried and tested rather than the other company as never heard of them, normally stick to ASUS/AOPEN/Gigabyte and the odd MSI.

Power Supply 400W is enough? Previously I was told it needs to be at least 450W for a Core 2 Duo.

Not that I'm stupid or anything, I built a lot of P4 systems and prior, just haven't built anything for a while since ddr2 pcie and duel core cpus came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Given you've already said:
    I just need it for web work, a bit of football manager, and internet mainly...I don't need to play the latest games

Why do you need a whole new system? To be honest, the only potential chink in that system in comparison to what you use it for is the ram....Cel D is fine, 9600XT is perfectly fine too...:)

The 6200 you said was too basic is plenty fine for what you've described but in honesty, is probably on par if not slightly worse then your current 9600XT. What exactly are you looking to do with the machine? Does the work require a semi-decent gpu? If not, then there's no point wasting money really...

You definitely don't need a 450w for a Core 2 Duo machine either though. You'd actually get by with as low as 250w or even lower if you weren't using too many drives and stuff. Not that I'm recommending you get something that low mind - just saying it's a fairly efficient processor power wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Just buy a new pc

I just got one
    core2duo e6300 conroe
    1 gig ram
    250 gig harddrive
    x1300 graphics card
    dvd writer
    XP home operating system
    nice looking case, keyboard, mouse, etc
    basically everything you need but the monitor

got it for 350e off ebay

HavoK wrote:
    The 6200 you said was too basic is plenty fine for what you've described but in honesty, is probably on par if not slightly worse then your current 9600XT. What exactly are you looking to do with the machine? Does the work require a semi-decent gpu? If not, then there's no point wasting money really...
    I will be running quite a few graphics applications at once so the 64MB of Graphics RAM is what I'm a bit concerned of, ideally something 128MB/256MB

• Advertisement

Frederico wrote:
    Just buy a new pc

I just got one
    core2duo e6300 conroe
    1 gig ram
    250 gig harddrive
    x1300 graphics card
    dvd writer
    XP home operating system
    nice looking case, keyboard, mouse, etc
    basically everything you need but the monitor

got it for 350e off ebay
    Not looking for Ebay, want to build my own, done that for the last few years and I know exactly what is in my machine, this way, I hardly have any issues, I haven't seen a blue screen or had a crash for a few years, and I'd like to keep it that way :)

Advertisement