Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't install Win XP Pro on new HD

• 04-04-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

I have a Targa laptop which I bought two years ago. It came with a Win XP Home CD but I prefer XP Professional so I wiped the drive recently and tried to install Win XP Pro on it.
    However it wouldn't let me: it only got as far as "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" and then just re-booted and re-booted.
    I thought it was problem with the HD so I bought a new one and tried installing Pro on that. Again, same story.
    For some reason the only OS I can install on this laptop is the Win XP Home Edition disc I got with it.
    There's nothing wrong with the XP Pro disc, it works fine on my desktop.
    I want to use Pro instead of Home, but the only way around it I can think of is to install Home Edition and then install Pro over it. Not ideal, I don't even know if you can do that?

Edit:sorry mods, I posted in the wrong forum.
    Also: I think I know what's wrong:it's nothing to do with the laptop, it's the XP Pro disc; it doesn't boot from the DVD-ROM drive on startup.
    It's a version of XP that students get for free; you download an ISO image of it and then burn it to disc.
    For some reason it's not bootable from startup, only once Windows is started.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Locked because the licensing is unclear - will reopen if there is a valid transferrable XP Pro license in addition to the one on the desktop.

Microsoft don't do Free OS's , except for time limited trials.

you could use CD2ISO to read the CD and compare the MD5 checksum to the one on microsoft's site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

License OK

http://msdn.microsoft.com/academic/program/factspage/
    Membership in MSDN AA offers STEM departments numerous benefits including:

* Access to the latest set of Microsoft platforms, servers, and developer tools.
    * License to install the software on any number of lab machines used by the department for instructional and research purposes.
    * License to provide the software to students taking courses that lead to credit or a certificate within the member department

Did you burn the ISO or just copy it to a CD ?

The windows 2003 RK contains # Cdburn.exe: ISO CD-ROM Burner Tool
    as well as other useful goodies
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

cd2iso www.dubaron.com/cd2iso can be used to verify a cd

www.isobuster.com/ will allow you to extract files from an ISO image, - if all else failed you could copy the files to a FAT32 partition on the HDD and then boot up with a dos boot disk and run winnt in the i386 folder ( you might have to unlock the drive with the LOCK command if using a win 98 boot disk )

Advertisement