Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curve of hanging cable

• 04-04-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

The curve given by a hanging cable, for example an electrical cable between two poles, hangs in an equilibrium configuration such that its overall potential energy due to gravity is at a minimum.

Galileo is known to have mistakenly thought that the curve was a parabola.

However, the curve of a hanging cable is actually a curve known as a catenary.

Taken gravity to be acting downwards in the y-axis and
    ignoring its location or scaling parameters in the x-axis or y-axis,
    the equation of the catenary curve is,

y = e^(x) + e^(-x)

So, there's a bit of a challenge of a maths formula to derive.

As the olde saying goes, a problem shared is a problem halved!!

(Hmmm... maybe that saying is not quite as valid for mathematics problems.)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This is a standard problem in the calculus of variations, which I'd explain if I'd revised it properly (although I suppose I should, I have an exam in it in a few weeks). There's a few examples of online notes in the subject however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Precision

Thanks Ecksor,

I have not yet been able to derive this one myself yet. I am working on it though. I had been focusing too much on the potential energy of it. The maths started to get a bit messy though. I found what looks like would lead to a proof of the hanging cable formula on this link,

http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/courses/p212/lectures/node14.html

It focuses more on the tension within the cable. I have not yet get around to going through it, just took a brief look. Plan to take a better look later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For those with scientific calculators the function y = e^(x) + e^(-x)
    is just the hyperbolic cosine of X / cosh(X)

Have a look at this for some clues on the maths - you have a series of triangles
    http://web.njit.edu/~jcl7/pastimes/catenary/index.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

250px-Knot-hangmans-noose.jpg
    But a hanging cable is straight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For those with scientific calculators the function y = e^(x) + e^(-x)
    is just the hyperbolic cosine of X / cosh(X)

Have a look at this for some clues on the maths - you have a series of triangles
    http://web.njit.edu/~jcl7/pastimes/catenary/index.html
    Interesting link Capt'n.
    There is a picture of three cables/strings hanginf to the same curve and the comment that density has no effect.
    Surely its does, just that it is unnoticed in the cables as each curve is greater than the min radius of the cable.
    If a longer catenary is attempted, it wont work with dense cables as the radius at the apex is less than the min radius capable of the cable.
    So not all cables will produce catenarys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Disregarding whether or not a cable is physically capable of producing a catenary, would I be incorrect in saying that if the curve of a catenary was not independant of it's density (keeping the length between each end constant - and the length of the cable proper), then that would imply that the acceleration acting on each part of the cable was proportional to it's mass? Which clearly is incorrect. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Buffer

Just passing by and I thought I'd add an observation ...

Technically, a catenary curve is the shape of a free-hanging chain rather than cable, though with infinitesimally small link length. The reason for this distinction is that no bending stiffness along its length is assumed, so the equation does not take into account the possibility of a mininimum radius of curvature.

As with all idealised mathematical models, real-world entities don't exactly match the assumptions they make. A rope is a pretty good approximation but a cable is slightly less good because of its inherent bending stiffness; for example, a thick cable spanning a short distance might not bend visibly. A chain with just four large solid links also would not of course form a correct catenary.

The catenary equation describes a curve that is obviously independent of density because it contains no terms for density, mass or related quantities.

Advertisement