Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabobank

Options
  • 04-04-2007 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

does anyone know if rabo bank is as good as it claims to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Define "good"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

walter81 wrote:

It pays the deposit rates it advertises. It's website works fine and I've successfully transferred money in and out many times.

What claims has it made that you need verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same here, I get what is says on the tin and so so much easier than other banks giving great rates but in small print that they end on certain dates and revert to crap rates. Rabo might lower rates but don't seem to plan to.
    Just remember DIRT must come off the rate as with every other bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

walter81 wrote:

IMO The Rabbi Bank seems to entice some with cheap adds offering better than average rates but there's always a catch. 'No sneaky ones' I beg your pardon!!

Anyways like all good Rabbi Banks they'll take your money to better them more than you.

Sure their short term 'competitiveness' might appeal to a few but they'll screw you in the long run.

What's disappointing is some people seem to get more excited about making an extra €10 per '000 per anum before DIRT than enjoying a ham sandwich.

Fundamentally Rabbi Banks are self centred centres for budget conscious banking punters, but thankfully there are better stools for better flies.

I mean FFS what next??

Blah, blah, blah, incoherent waffle

Would you care to explain why you have such a problem with Rabo? Are you a bank clerk with one if the Irish banks showing some kind of misguided loyalty?

Please explain, with evidence, and in English, what Rabo is doing so wrong that you attack them in every thread :rolleyes:

In particular, what do you mean by
    Sure their short term 'competitiveness' might appeal to a few but they'll screw you in the long run.

as for
    an extra €10 per '000 per anum

The extra €50 (almost) per '000 will add up to a nice holiday for me. The interest on a demand deposit from BOI/NIB would hardly buy me a ham sandwich!

• Advertisement

BendiBus wrote:
    Would you care to explain why you have such a problem with Rabo? Are you a bank clerk with one if the Irish banks showing some kind of misguided loyalty?

The extra €50 (almost) per '000 will add up to a nice holiday for me. The interest on a demand deposit from BOI/NIB would hardly buy me a ham sandwich!

Touchy, touchy, touchy!

You're earning €50/000 above NR ? Wow you must be doing a lot of bending. I bet its sore. Still you can always look forward to another cheap holiday, Greek Island??

Anyways I've no connection to any bank but the next time you're bending over, lets this boring idea sink in, there are several banks doing a much better job than Rabo.

Enjoy!

there are several banks doing a much better job than Rabo.

If this is the case then PLEASE let me know which ones and I'll move my money tomorrow. I have no loyalty to any bank. Seriously, I'm only looking for the best return on my cash, so tell me where is better to keep a 10K emergency fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

BendiBus wrote:
    If this is the case then PLEASE let me know which ones and I'll move my money tomorrow.

Sonnenblumen wants us all to ignore our personal want for material gain and give all our money to the nice caring people at AIB so that they can "invest" in our communities.

You know, the local AIB sponsored flower beds, the AIB Park that every village has, the AIB swimming pool that no council has paid for and that every one has free access to because AIB are not giving us "better" rates because they are investing the measely interest that we think we want in our communities.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Sonnenblumen wants us all to ignore our personal want for material gain and give all our money to the nice caring people at AIB so that they can "invest" in our communities.

You know, the local AIB sponsored flower beds, the AIB Park that every village has, the AIB swimming pool that no council has paid for and that every one has free access to because AIB are not giving us "better" rates because they are investing the measely interest that we think we want in our communities.

L.

Beware Little Folk with little minds.

there are several banks doing a much better job than Rabo.

I'll repeat my question as you seem to have missed it.

Which bank will give me a better deal on my cash deposit? I honestly would like to know if there's somewhere better to keep my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sonnenblumen be careful. You're usually a good poster but you're getting a bad rep very quickly that could get you in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I know. That is why I warned the OP not to take any heed to a word of what you have written.

L.

Is he for real? Bottom line is who gives me the best rate on my cash with instant withdrawal possibilities, who cares after that and no queues in my local AIB to deal with or driving fast to make the bank before they close.

TheDriver wrote:
    Is he for real? Bottom line is who gives me the best rate on my cash with instant withdrawal possibilities, who cares after that and no queues in my local AIB to deal with or driving fast to make the bank before they close.

Damn right, an dyes I did try to point out the shortsightedness of simplistic approach, but if you're in a hurry or a pending emergency, well simple enough criteria, but IMO your not getting the best return.

Bendibus, I'm not going to give or offer any advice. I've put out some views, to stimulate more informed decision making, I'm wasting my efforts and probably your time.

My criteria are different.

Enjoy your losses.

I'm not going to give or offer any advice

I'm not asking for advice, I'm asking for an item of factual information. I can make my own decisions.
    My criteria are different.

No sh1t!
    Enjoy your losses.

As per another thread, demand deposits are for readily available cash. I make my profits on my investments :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ahahaha?

Whats going on here?

I dont understand where the attack came from "Sonnenblumen"? And I know you are going to write back what idiots we are for being with Rabo and how better you are and blah blah blah but what has that got to do with the OPs question?

If you had said " Rabo is a terrible institution to bank with because........" then we might listen.

"'No sneaky ones' I beg your pardon!!" What does that mean like? We are interested to know why you said this!? And also, as you said, what banks are better and why!?

From your poster name and your english I think you are foreign (German?). Dutch/German relations good?

Anyways, as one poster said, "its does what it says on the tin". Minimal hassle. I have been advised that there are other banks out there such as Norther Rock with good interest rates, but I believe it is Sterling (am open to correction on this), and for me this would make it a little messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've found Rabobank very easy to deal with and very transparent - there are no 'catches' that you seem to always find with the high street banks.

More importantly, none of those high street banks would be offering competitive rates now if Rabobank hadn't come in a shaken up the market. For that reason alone, they get my business.

Its like a comedy show! Hope the OP realises that for quick access high interest, Rabo seems to be the best unless our critic can actually suggest anything and not just ramble on about the negatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Anyways like all good Rabbi Banks they'll take your money to better them more than you.

1) Is your continued use of "Rabbi" bank a typo or is it plain old fashioned Antisemitism?

2) Irish banks take your money to generate billion+ profits for their shareholders the exact same way as Rabo Bank does.

3) If Irish banks are such pillars of the community what interest rates were the they offering before Rabo bank and Northern Rock entered the market?

Its all very simple and if people refrain from silly comments and going way off on tangents well, somebody might learn something.

If you all believe that a couple recent market entrants have somehow democratised the Irish banking system, well I'd disagree. On the contrary you are being sucked in slowly but surely. If it helps you to feel better by believing you're getting a better deal when it is patently obvious from the maths alone let alone much other also important criteria that in fact your losing money, well who am I to interfere? Penny scraping aside, I think many High Street banks will outlive the cheaper solely online versions. Sure there's a market for low cost, low service but....

Anyways I'm wasting time even going near conscience banking when there's a philistine rabble mentality masquerading in silver grey ice skater suits, some don't even know how or why they there. I suppose there is a certain appeal to BLAAAAAAAAAAH for some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

If it helps you to feel better by believing you're getting a better deal when it is patently obvious from the maths alone let alone much other also important criteria that in fact your losing money, well who am I to interfere?

You clearly don't understand what a demand deposit account is for.

Still not getting your use of english man. Am being serious.

Can you write it in a non-prose way i.e normal everyday english?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

well inflation is back above 5% annually to 5.1% for March so most savings accounts in Ireland don't earn you money with the current rates on offer. as a place to keep your money secure and not lose as much as a current account it is a very wise option though.

diversifying is key however.

naitkris wrote:
    well inflation is back above 5% annually to 5.1% for March so most savings accounts in Ireland don't earn you money with the current rates on offer.

I agree with this as a rule of thumb. However...

The inflation figure is backward looking (what happened over the past year) where as deposit interest is going forward. So the inflation figure this time next year is more relevant to todays deposit rates (I know rates may change between now & then)

Also, CPI is an estimate based on an average Joe. I'm not average :) For example, I don't smoke or drive and have a modest mortgage with associated modest interest. So my personal cost of living increase over the past year is likely considerably less than 5%

So a 5% interest payment may indeed make me better off.

I thought I'd just throw those ideas in for the sake of argument as there seems to be unanimity on everything else in this thread (bar one :) )

Plus also you can put a lump sum in there all at once as opposed to a lot of other banks who only allow you to deposit max €1000 per month. This is what swayed it really for me and Rabo Bank.

Can someone grab my arm please, I feel myself being sucked in slowly but not to worry, I won't "blahhhhh" about it.........
    Any time i go into my high street branch service is indeed low whereas online ones are very good service. Is this what you mean to us philistine mentalities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Anyways I'm wasting time even going near conscience banking

Conscience banking, how droll. Banks maximise profits within the law, and sometimes forget about the latter part. You're a patsy if you don't do the same.

Nermal wrote:
    Conscience banking, how droll. Banks maximise profits within the law, and sometimes forget about the latter part. You're a patsy if you don't do the same.

What's wrong with banks making money and yes sometimes people as well as institutions break laws. I bet its more the latter than the former. Twisted faith. If you had a real relationship with a real bank they would be helping you to (a) make your money work harder through optimised earnings potential but with due regard to fire fighting funding etc and (b) provide you with excellent banking services hgh street/online etc at reduced/little cost.

There are also a wide range of innovative but legal tax efficient ways to earn more and still have time to laugh at real patsy's putting € 10k away into a Rabbi Bank account and having enough to buy peanuts for the monkeys at the end of the year.

If you don't know how to make money, where do you start to putting a fire out.

If Mr X reduced his firefighting fund to € 9k, and used the €1k to buy stock eg ICG up almost 100% since end 2006 or TOMCO energy a 2.5p IPO in mid January now at almost 5p. He could afford to give two fingers to any Rabbi Account and walk away smiling.

Patsy's put money in the kitty for others to exploit.

END

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

There are also a wide range of innovative but legal tax efficient ways to earn more and still have time to laugh at real patsy's putting € 10k away into a Rabbi Bank account and having enough to buy peanuts for the monkeys at the end of the year.

That's wonderful, only we weren't discussing those, were were discussing the merits of current accounts, and how 'real banks' can't measure up to Rabo.

Your figure is on the low side for a firefighting fund, we may need a temporary place for cash, we may be waiting for value to appear.

But please, don't let me get in the way of the retrospective stockpicking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sonnenblumen one question can you explain why you are calling this institution "Rabbi Bank" please and the meaning behind it?

Advertisement