Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conservatory

Options
  • 04-04-2007 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

placed this in construction and didn't get a reply so I'm hoping someone might have an answer here

I'm planning on buying a small conservatory (for a one story house) with dwarf wall at less than half price. Its hard to say no as I don't have a lot of cash to play with but really need the extra space so its a good deal for me. I know they offer a builder to put the whole thing together but I know one or two people who could put it together as a nixer and probably save me a few more euro.
    I'm just wondering how much I should expect to pay for construction.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Solas,

Welcome to the friendly forum:p :p:p

No doubt you will get a better response here, they are a friendly bunch here ....right guys:D :D:D

What size conserveratory are you deciding on. B&Q and similar offer budget conservertories , that are diy assemblies, and are reasonable in price. Construction works on the wals, foundations, and floor slab are well within the scope of diyers with common sense. Time wise you are probably looking at a couple of weekends for yourself and a couple of extra bodies, so cost should not be too expensive.

Give a few details of the size ect, and no doubt we can narrow down the cost for you.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

thanks kadman, yep very friendly bunch here :)

It is a diy job but I don't have the tools or knowledge to be able to do these things for myself (useless woman me)
    It's not that big 7ft x 10 ft apx and dwarf wall (2ish ft). The area its to cover is leveled concreted and ready to go afaik, all I need is a labourer to build wall and put the rest together.
    I know one or two menfolk who might be able for it I just needed a rough geustimate to know how much I might be able to offer them.

(I thought it might be up in a couple of days,..once the wall has gone up its just a matter of putting the rest together no?)

p.s. I got it for a little more than 2 and a half and as I'm on a budget I don't have much left to shell out for labour, have the bricks to buy too. If i can keep it all under 3 I'll be happy.

Hi Solas

Maybe with a bit of ingenuity , it could be done. it might be worth looking in the buy ands sell for a couple of pvc/timber windows second hand in good condition. failing that contact any local joineries/ window suppliers, as they often have cancelled orders that they sell of cheap, door frames a s well.

The cheapest option for the roof is triple wall polycarbonate. This can be fixed onto timber rafters, or pvc. If you only have the wall to build , and fix in the windows/doorframes, a couple of days is possible. If you are lucky enough to get a good diy/handy man, 15E an hour is probably the cheapest rate you would get. Two days for two men is definitely do-able.

I assume its a single lean to roof set up.

I reckon if you are smart enough , you could do it inside your budget;)

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

thanks Kadman.

you,re welcome;)

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement