Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Jap performance car to go for....

Options
  • 04-04-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

posted this in the motors forum too but thought i'd post it here, might get more opinions...

ok so after yonks of threatening to get rid of my car and get me something a bit more powerfull i've finally sorted out my finances and came up with a list of cars i want to look at.

i'll have to save through the summer first so i'm gonna be out and about looking at cars and finding out whats the best i can get, so as per usual i've to ask you lot what you think first...

i'm after a jap performance car mainly, heres what i was thinking

-Toyota Celica ss-III or GT-4

-Toyota Altezza

-Toyota MR2(older model)

-Nissan 200sx

-Honda Integra Type-R

really like the 200sx but finding a nice looking but standard one seems hard, love the celicat gt-4 but again looking on carzone doesnt seem to be many.

I should have about €15000 to spend on the car, so what do you guys think, which one would you go for? and any reason you wouldnt go for the others?

i'll be driving it daily too (30 - 40miles per day)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

200's will be hard gotten in a good state unless you bring it in yourself as alot of people are getting into the drifting now!!

As I said in the other thread go for an ITR-DC2 >98!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Get a car in from japland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fto111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

'teg hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

garage-2.jpg

340bhp and still have money left over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Second an Mr2 but you need to buy a
    Turbo rev3 GT T-Bar spec (not a GT-s spec turbo)
    i had one and you will not be dissapointed with them very comfortable quick reliable.

mr2001yi9.jpg

mr2002wi1.jpg

mr2rearpb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

it actually seems easier to get insured in a turbo rev3 mr2 than a imported integra type - r, i dunno what the story is with insurance or how it works anymore

the mr2 is a quicker car than the Teg i had mine clocked with an Apexi rev speed meter doing a 0-60 sprint of 5.1 seconds :eek:

insurance has a lot to do with the "image" of the car rather than the power.
    if a certain car type is crashed alot, that will bump up the insurance price.

a good example was the plug 306 tdi, not a quick car particulary, but because of so many of them being crashed by young males, the insurance has gone up for them alot. but you could insure something like a Primera GT cheaper, as they dont have a boyracer image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Gonna plug the Altezza again. RWD, that Beams engine, great comfort, practical and unlike the rest of the suggestions here, no boy racer image.

MR2's have a reputation for being very giddy at the front end don't they??

If it's gonna be a Celica get a GT-4, ridiculously good car.

Teg type-r's are getting a bit too common these days IMO and that white paint turns a nice magnolia over time if not looked after!

The rev3 model mr2 came with suspension upgrades and 2pot calipers up front so handles and stops very good, but with over 240hp at the rear wheels u have to be careful. also i dont think the mr2 has a boy racer image.

bigkev49 wrote:
    Gonna plug the Altezza again. RWD, that Beams engine, great comfort, practical and unlike the rest of the suggestions here, no boy racer image.

actually think i'm gonna go for the altezza now, was looking at a few today, there lovely cars, lots oo auto's about but have grown fond of them and there the most expensive but think i'm gonna stretch to get one.

so anyone got one?
    whats to look out for?
    what kind of spec should i be looking for around the 15k price mark?

the altezza is a great choice, i love them. (but i own an mr2, but will let you away with not choosing one;) )
    one think to watch for is if any mods have been done on them, i've seen a few coming in from japan with different front bumpers, stupid rear wings and noisy backboxs. Defiantly get a standard one, much easier to sell on.
    dont think there are too many common faults with them, just look for the usual, burning oils, temp gauge, uneven tyre ware and evidence of accident damage, etc.

and of course get the black top beams engine one. (dont know if they come with any other?)

ctc_celtic wrote:
    (but i own an mr2, but will let you away with not choosing one;) )

i think an mr2 will definately be in my drive way....just another few years down the line :)

and i'm looking for the rs200 version, powered by a Yamaha tuned 3S-GE inline-4 engine generating 210 PS JIS (154 kW) and mated to a 6–speed transmission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

what about a toyota supra ?nice 95 red one on carzone you could pick up handy for bout 10500 ,if you like a bit of poke have a look at a real sports car

and i'm looking for the rs200 version, powered by a Yamaha tuned 3S-GE inline-4 engine generating 210 PS JIS (154 kW) and mated to a 6–speed transmission

never heard it call a rs200 version, but yeah the beams mr2 is defiantly the best NA to go for, but for the price you could pick up a rev3 turbo and really be laughing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah AFAIK theres an AS200 and an RS200, the one to go for is the RS with the beams engine and 6-speed manual 'box. There is a 2-way TRD diff on my mates one, not sure if thats standard on them or if its aftermarket. As the lads said though best to go for standard look, easier to shift afterwards.

They really are a great car. What to look out for is somewhere selling cheap tyres, if you're into that type of thing! :D

Best of luck in the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

What about a honda s2000?

supra a nice machine but very thirsty and unless you go for the twin turbo there not that quick and unreal thirsty. mate of mine had one and my 2.2vtec prelude was a quick as it. now sayinf that there one of the nicest looking cars on our roads.

• Advertisement

supra
    supragh8.jpg
    suprasidesa9.jpg

gobby wrote:
    What about a honda s2000?

there a good bit out of my price range unfortunately...

cheapest i could find was 21k

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=521537

supra is nice alright but 3.0l engine is too big for tax reasons not to mention insurance reasons

If your going to be driving ~30 miles per day you might want to get something like a vtec or something thats turbo charged so that if you don't want to be filling the car up too much you can just ease off and not go into the turbo/vtec range and blast through all your petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

what about an rx7?
    Looks great,
    Powerfull,
    Not too comon place,
    And insured as a 1.3 turbo.
    Taxed as a 1.8 though.

gobby wrote:
    If your going to be driving ~30 miles per day you might want to get something like a vtec or something thats turbo charged so that if you don't want to be filling the car up too much you can just ease off and not go into the turbo/vtec range and blast through all your petrol

Dont have to pay for my petrol anyway gobby, company perk :D

yeh never really considered an rx-7 i assume they need a good lot of maintanence and stuff?

not realy, if they have been looked after theres no issues with them. its only if they are badly modified with high boost that problems start. try get one that has had an engine rebuild done to save the cost as it can be about 6000 to get done but saying that. most around the 60/70K mark would have had it done.

Check out www.irishrotary.com for any help and info you could need

There has been cases of engines going 200K without a rebuild if looked after correctly.

They will need a remap done to run on our petrol type but most importers can do this.

i own the red supra on carzone ,as regards to petrol i do about 200 miles a week and i use 50 euro

theres a lovely well looked after one here : http://octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=217

For 15000. its not so much the fuel costs but the tax thatd anoy the hell out of me.

i pay it every three months it does'nt seem as bad that way but its well worth it ,i have mine 4 years now have to sell it no room for the kids but when i have a few bob to spare i'll be getting another one for sure

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    Dont have to pay for my petrol anyway gobby, company perk :D

yeh never really considered an rx-7 i assume they need a good lot of maintanence and stuff?
    Then Vtec all the way :)

Advertisement