Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Jap performance car to go for....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hate to say it but having driven cars like the Altezza and listening to and reading reviews about the RX-7 it's my humble opinion that a vtec would be the most boring option.

This is my opinion having driven a 1.6 DOHC Vtec, a Type R Integra, 2.0T Skyline and an Altezza. They aren't boring taken on their own merits but put them up against either of the other two and the appeal of the Vtec simply fades away IMO.

That Supra is the mutts nutts too, on my wishlist for the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

damn it all the opinions are confusing.... guess it'll come down to a integra type r vs toyota altezza in the test drives, cant wait to get college finished and start saving and looking around and taking test drives, gonna be the best summer ever :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

supra a nice machine but very thirsty and unless you go for the twin turbo there not that quick and unreal thirsty.
    So you are saying the non turbo supra is a lot more thirsty then the twin turbo?
    What kind of mpg with you get from the tt and na?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

sorry got a bit mixed up the na supra for the size of the engine are not that quick my 2.2 prelude able to beat it.
    i had a na supra for a couple of months and it was costing about €70-100 per week on fuel getting around 350miles the prelude was getting 400-500 miles for the same price.
    and my mr2 turbo was doing 350-450 miles and the supra didnt have a hope against it.
    all im saying for the size of the engine and price of tax of the supra i would rather something quicker with a smaller engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Now I get you, thanks for clearing that up and giving some mpg figures.

• Advertisement

what would a prelude be like to drive daily stephenmarr?

just thinking there pretty nice and you dont see too many of them around.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=556815

cheap enough too

the prelude is a lovely car to have very comfortable and quick the insurance is pretty cheap on them. they have 4ws which is nice in a tight spot.some parts can be hard to find.suspension can be expensive to buy but all in all a great car.
    preludejh6.jpg

they have 4ws which is nice in a tight spot.

do you mean 4 wheel drive or 4 wheel steering there!!?

4 wheel steering
    it takes a bit of getting used to when reversing the car will turn in tighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 audia31.8roi@ho

I dont know if your still looking for advice or not but i just bought an altezza and i am more than happy i had a gti golf MK4 and there is no comparison the altezza is very quick and very reliable. Serioulsy cant say enough about this car.

• Advertisement

yeh...did you get the rs200 version yeh?

where did ya buy it? get a good price on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DriftR

I am aslo thinking of going for an Altezza but my only problem is putting petrol in to it has i will be doing quite alot of milage over the summer. Not sure if il go for sumthing more economical for the time being or what....... Any advice..

Iv also been doing abit of research on pricing an altezza. There is probably savings to be made if u import from england even though the VRT will be high. U can get a beautiful 99 RS 200 for under 6000 sterling on autotrader.co.uk. ANother option i was thinking about was importing one from japan. IBC have a good range and you could pick up a '02 RS200 for about €8000 (Includes Shipment), There would be VRT of bout €4000 on that and 21%tax but it could sell for around €20000 here according to the other 2002's on carzone and Autotrader:D

5995 sterling for this 1 RS200

DriftR wrote:
    i was thinking about was importing one from japan. IBC have a good range and you could pick up a '02 RS200 for about €8000 (Includes Shipment), There would be VRT of bout €4000 on that and 21%tax but it could sell for around €20000 here according to the other 2002's on carzone and Autotrader:D

that sounds pretty good alright but i doubt i'd get time to organise that, i'd love a black rs200 around 2001, pretty standard, i like the trd grill though, sets it off nicely, dont like the quitellit or whatever its called bodykit in the picture you have there

ok i've settled on the integra type r now i think and i've come to the conclusion that goin to the uk for a non jap one is the best idea so just wondering if anyone would have any ideas on how best to do this? i've found a few nice ones on autotrader, does anyone know if it costs much money to insure a car to drive it from england and take it across here on a ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

draffodx wrote:
    ok i've settled on the integra type r now

Ye that's probably the best option, never been in one but heard it's a great drivers car. Been in an Altezza and while it's a good car I wasn't overly impressed by the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What year ITR are you looking for?

eireal wrote:
    What year ITR are you looking for?

1999 or 2000 - Irish/uk one, the one with the round headlights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If you have a car here insured already, you should be able to transfer your insurance for a couple of days to let you drive the new car home. You'll just need to give your insurance company the model and reg no. of the car you're driving back.

blastman wrote:
    If you have a car here insured already, you should be able to transfer your insurance for a couple of days to let you drive the new car home. You'll just need to give your insurance company the model and reg no. of the car you're driving back.

will there be much of a cost to this? i will be changing it from a focus 1.4 to a integra type r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

it may not cost you anything if your just changing over for a short time to get it back to ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yep, depends on your insurance company, some charge for a temporary substitution, others don't. Quinn are stupidly expensive, from what I think I've heard people on boards say in the past. I'm with the AA and they didn't charge me anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

draffodx wrote:
    1999 or 2000 - Irish/uk one, the one with the round headlights

nice choice, 187 bhp, and when standard not alot of difference to the jap spec (197 bhp) versions on the road in the real world.

should also be alittle more insurance friendly.

best of luck with it, and post some pics when you pick her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

draffodx wrote:
    will there be much of a cost to this? i will be changing it from a focus 1.4 to a integra type r

Nearly all companies change over without problem. Do you recon they'll quote you when it comes around to your renewal though?

colly10 wrote:
    Nearly all companies change over without problem. Do you recon they'll quote you when it comes around to your renewal though?

yeh have got a quote already, only €300 more than the focus as long as the integra is a non jap one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

ITR is an excellent choice, they are known to be the best FWD car in the world;) I drove an 1998 Irish one for a while, would totally recommend. What year are you looking at? How much?

Tanabe wrote:
    ITR is an excellent choice, they are known to be the best FWD car in the world;) I drove an 1998 Irish one for a while, would totally recommend. What year are you looking at? How much?

around 99/00 but a 98 mint one would be the job also, hopefully i'll have up to 15k to spend but around 13k seems like a good enough price to get a good car by goin on searches over the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

You should pick up an Irish/UK one for that money handy enough (even though it is a rarer car), the JDM is way more popular as most people seem to favor it's front.

Tanabe wrote:
    You should pick up an Irish/UK one for that money handy enough (even though it is a rarer car), the JDM is way more popular as most people seem to favor it's front.

yeh i thought i prefered the jdm models front too but after seeing both in the flesh i fell in love with the round headlights, that along with lower insurance and it being less common made my mind up.

theres a lovely red one in waterford but i wont be able to get down to see it till the end of the month because of exams :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

the mr2 is a quicker car than the Teg i had mine clocked with an Apexi rev speed meter doing a 0-60 sprint of 5.1 seconds :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2alZ-IP0II

1.6 Teg injection vs 2.0L Mr2 on the Tallaght bypass. The car your talking about must have had something wrong with it (or not as modded as your own car) as the teg is noted for one of the most powerful FF cars in existance.

• Advertisement

layke wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2alZ-IP0II

1.6 Teg injection vs 2.0L Mr2 on the Tallaght bypass. The car your talking about must have had something wrong with it (or not as modded as your own car) as the teg is noted for one of the most powerful FF cars in existance.

surely a 1.6 integra cant out run a 2.0 mr2 sure the mr2 must have about 80 - 100 more horsepower??

Advertisement