Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name 'Grainne'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jacy

Wow...lots of responses. Thank you all for your opinions! This is my fifth girl so I'm kind of running out of names. None of my other daughters has an Irish name(my son does though)and being that this may be my last child I really want to make it a strong Irish name. I'm open to any other ideas...I only have 2 weeks left. Thanks everyone.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think Bláthnaid is a lovely name but you would have to be spelling it for people. That's the trouble with a lot of nice Irish names. Unless it's fairly common a lot of people won't know how to spell it. Unfortunately I couldn't use that name as I have a cousin with it (and I wanted something different).

Úna is a lovely name too (my sister's name), short and simple enough and there aren't a whole lot of them. Like Blush_01 said though, you'll still get people spelling it wrong.

Whatever name you pick (in whatever language and with whatever spelling you choose) there will always be a few people who'll manage to spell it wrong, or not recognise how to pronounce it when they see it written (unless it's one of the more common names (top 10 or top 25 or something), and they know lots of people with the name already). Pick something you like because you'll be using it forever more and try and use the correct (traditional) spelling because (as killbillvol2 said), it just looks a bit silly and as if the parents didn't know how to spell it otherwise.

I hope your other kids give you a chance to get your feet up now for the next fortnight! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dame wrote:
    I think Bláthnaid is a lovely name but you would have to be spelling it for people. That's the trouble with a lot of nice Irish names. Unless it's fairly common a lot of people won't know how to spell it. Unfortunately I couldn't use that name as I have a cousin with it (and I wanted something different).
    We considered Bláthnaid but went for Bláithín instead - just preferred the sound of it even though they both mean pretty much the same thing. As for spelling - people will learn how to spell it - I wouldn't let that be a bar to a name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

If you live in Ireland, go with the Irish spelling. Irish people don't have difficulty pronouncing Irish names spelled the Irish name whether or not they speak Irish themselves.

Non-Irish people will have problems, but non-Spanish people will have problems with Spanish names, non-French people will have problems with French names etc. so don't let that be the basis for your decision.
    Niamh/Siobhán/Aoife/Ailbhe will all be butchered by non-Irish people.

There is always the possibility that any name you choose will be linked in the school yard to a horrible nickname. Every name can be twisted that way, and even if you pick the most neutral one possible, who's to say that there won't be a very famous character with the same name in the next five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If you google for Irish girls' names there's a lot of info out there. Some beautiful names. Some mad names too! Afric, Gubnait etc.

Good luck with your choice and remember that your child will have to live with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I prefer the Irish spellings of Irish names and I have no Irish, Grainne is a pretty name, but I don't like the look of the other version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My mother was going to call me Gráinne, but was afraid the other children at school would twig it sounded like gránach so didn't go along with it. As it happened I went to school with 2 Gráinne's and nobody ever made fun of their name. I don't like Grania, sounds like grainy!
    I think it's a lovely name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

bandraoi wrote:
    If you live in Ireland, go with the Irish spelling. Irish people don't have difficulty pronouncing Irish names spelled the Irish name whether or not they speak Irish themselves.

Non-Irish people will have problems, but non-Spanish people will have problems with Spanish names, non-French people will have problems with French names etc. so don't let that be the basis for your decision.
    Niamh/Siobhán/Aoife/Ailbhe will all be butchered by non-Irish people.

I named my son Tomás, but people (Irish or not) tend to call him Thomas.
    I remember my friend Siobhán being called seeb-han when we lived in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I like Gráinne. One of the girls I work with is Gráinne but people here in Wales have trouble with it (one insists on pronouncing it Graw-neen). Then one of my students was complaining that one teacher calls her Nymph (her name is Niamh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I like Gráinne, and besides, she was a tough babe - a good role model for your daughter.

A young girl who's being married off to the ancient creaky hero, and decides to choose her own husband, so she puts him faoi geasa to take her away out of there, gives everyone else a sleepy potion and runs with him - then when he's being a bit too pure, she takes him by the two ears in the middle of a stream and tells him to act the man!

Other possible names - just looking around me at work and thinking of former workplaces, there's Étáin, Emer, Siobhán, Sinéad, Eileen, Éilís, Bríd, Maeve, Aoife, Fiona (pronounced FEEona in the Irish version), Maolmhuire (pronounced Mwaylra), Máiréad, Máire, Caitríona, Liadhain (pronounced LEEan), Lasarfhiona (Losser-eena), Déirdre, Fionnuala, Morna, Muireann, Doireann....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

What is the Irish for ugliness (the noun)? I though it was 'Gráinne'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hardly now, since so many parents call their little princesses Gráinne!

Gránna = ugly

GRÁINNE

Usage: Irish, Irish Mythology

Pronounced: GRAWN-ya

Possibly derived from Gaelic grán meaning "grain". This was the name of an ancient Irish grain goddess. The name also belonged to the fiancée of Fionn mac Cumhail and the lover of Diarmuid in later Irish legend, and it is often associated with gráidh "love".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Do you not think that it might be time to end the fad of having extremely extremely Oirish names for your kids?
    To be honest once I hear young parents talking about these ott Irish names for their kids, it just seems a bit pretentious. Like a hyphenated name, or double barrel naming your poor kids.
    These names often seem to exist as an aid to the parents sense of intellectual superiority based on a tag attached to a language on the wane. I can just imagine the conversations about the regeneration of Gaeilge over the M&S coffee already.
    Little Bleathnaid Hughes-Mc. Guire and Fiachra Ui Luchlainn-Dunnobhain won't thank you in 20 years when nobody on an entire continent can pronounce their name. Name your kids something they might possibly like in the future, and not what seems to fit with the social circle right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Do you not think that it might be time to end the fad of having extremely extremely Oirish names for your kids?
    To be honest once I hear young parents talking about these ott Irish names for their kids, it just seems a bit pretentious. Like a hyphenated name, or double barrel naming your poor kids.

Steady on.. Gráinne is hardly 'extremely oirish', it is quite a normal name. It's my sister's name, in fact, and she's in her 30s, so that is no new fad.

BTW, my son has a double barrelled surname. Don't blame me, goes back generations, neither of the barrels came from mammy ;)

These names often seem to exist as an aid to the parents sense of intellectual superiority based on a tag attached to a language on the wane. I can just imagine the conversations about the regeneration of Gaeilge over the M&S coffee already.
    Little Bleathnaid Hughes-Mc. Guire and Fiachra Ui Luchlainn-Dunnobhain won't thank you in 20 years when nobody on an entire continent can pronounce their name. Name your kids something they might possibly like in the future, and not what seems to fit with the social circle right now.

What a load of drivel. And what about people who simply like Irish names? They should be forced to give their kids names like Jason and Kylie and Victoria? Oh because the poor ignorant furriners can't pronounce them?

And news flash: The Irish language is on the rise again.

And what does the superior one suggest? John and Mary are too old; Kylie and Jason are too pretentious; Irish names are out, period; all non-English names or names of more than one syllable are out: too difficult to pronounce (that's a good one- maybe we should all just grunt at each other?).

Here we go.
    Oh wow. Drivel eh? Bet you're glad you said that...
    I think you love the irish language, therefore all contrary opinions are to be ignored or insulted. Clearly anyone who has a dislike for gaeilge is some sort of inferior muppet. Because your opinion has to be the right one, right?
    No point actually listening to the opinion of another when you can sarcastically put them down on an anonymous internet forum, right?
    Well your reply was rather ineffective really. It just took on a sneering, sarcastic, inelegant and poorly constructed tone which belies that lack of contrary opinion you have in your post. You rely heavily on mocking my post rather than addressing anything I actually said, or posting a contro-argument of your own. Thats just close minded, and it's also a fallacy negating any point you were trying to make, and in a real debate would be ignored for simply that reason.
    That wasn't drivel, that was my opinion. I formed it, backed it up and expressed it reasonably, if informally. There is no one right answer to a question of whether or not a name is nice.
    I dont understand how you cannot get this.
    Its a matter of opinion. Mine is different to yours, so in your world, this means that you must be right and therefore I'm spouting drivel? Getting a bit wrapped up in your own self importance there maybe? A bit too sure of your own correctness in that post? To be honest it just came across as a bit smug and snooty from someone who knows I have a point but dislikes the informal way I decided to make it.
    Why in the hell would I care about people who LIKE Irish names? Im a person who frequently DOES NOT like irish names, therefore my post must be drivel? Do you even know how a discussion works? Let people who like Irish names post here defending them. I dont, so why would I?
    Or maybe you fathered a Blathnaid Murphy Ni Bhornacain and you decided that I was personally attacking you or something?

All I said was that is seems a bit pretentious to continually harken back to essentially dead languages in an anglicised society where spelling, pronunciation and insults the poor kid will have to face at school are all an issue.
    I didnt claim to be superior at any stage. But in not getting personal and making numerous sneering, sarcastic, OTT statements you have decided to make it personal.
    In a caste system such as we have, a trend has started of late to use overly elaborately Irish names for your kids. It doesnt tend to happen in working class areas of Ireland, this fad is the offspring of affluent Ireland's misguided snobbery. I can understand your attachment to Irish names from the standpoint of finding the language beautiful. However, in many cases It's merely a way of setting in stone, at least for the time being, that this child is of a certain more privileged background. It belies a certain cultural snobbery that I find hilariously misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jacy wrote:
    Wow...lots of responses. Thank you all for your opinions! This is my fifth girl so I'm kind of running out of names. None of my other daughters has an Irish name(my son does though)and being that this may be my last child I really want to make it a strong Irish name. I'm open to any other ideas...I only have 2 weeks left. Thanks everyone.:)
    Caoimhe! I think it sounds so pretty, much nicer than grainne. I can't type the fada on this comp...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

So, Dr Bollocko, what will your kids be called?

Big bollocko and Hairy Bollocko.
    I like Hairy cos its biblical.

Here we go.

I think you hate the Irish language, therefore all contrary opinions are to be ignored or insulted. Clearly anyone who has a like for Gaeilge is some sort of pretentious prat. Because your opinion has to be the right one, right?
    No point actually listening to the opinion of another when you can sarcastically put them down on an anonymous internet forum, right?
    Well your reply was rather ineffective really. It just took on a sneering, sarcastic, inelegant and poorly constructed tome which belies that lack of contrary opinion you have in your post [this doesn't make sense, does it, since "all contrary opinions" is referred to in the first line above].

There is no one right answer to a question of whether or not a name is nice. Calling parents pretentious and OTT just because you disagree with their opinions rather negates your own, based on your logic, above. I don't understand how you cannot get this.

It's a matter of opinion. Mine is different to your's; so in your world, this means that you must be right?

Why in the hell would I care about people who DISLIKE Irish names? I'm a person who frequently LIKES Irish names, therefore my post must be ignored?

Do you even know how a discussion works?

You call parents who give their kids Irish names pretentious and OTT; I disagree with you; I call what you've written 'drivel' and you respond by saying my opinion doesn't count because I've attacked your opinion.

A bit touchy, eh? You don't like to be called out over what you say? Basically, you can say what you like, and call people any name you wish, but if someone says this is drivel (and factually wrong) then post back saying their opinion doesn't agree with yours, so we just ignore it?

Irish is not an 'essentially dead language'. If people have problems with "spelling, pronunciation and insults" then that is their problem, wouldn't you say? Or where does personal responsibility begin?

I didn't claim to be superior at any stage:
    In a caste system such as we have, a trend has started of late to use overly elaborately Irish names for your kids. It doesnt tend to happen in working class areas of Ireland, this fad is the offspring of affluent Ireland's misguided snobbery. I can understand your attachment to Irish names from the standpoint of finding the language beautiful. However, in many cases It's merely a way of setting in stone, at least for the time being, that this child is of a certain more privileged background. It belies a certain cultural snobbery that I find hilariously misguided.

If this isn't "snearing[sic], sarcastic, OTT", then tell me what is?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm...
    I think yet again you have missed my point somehow.
    Sarcasm:
    Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, a situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous manner and sometimes expressed through particular vocal intonations. Sarcasm is often expressed in ironical statements. It can sometimes be the sincerest form of discourse for the emotionally fragile. This is often done by simply over-emphasizing the actual statement, or particular words of it.

Also Irish is largely a dead language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dr bollocko and slowcoach I strongly suggest you read the charter forthis forum.

Irish is not a dead language I know several native speakers and speak it on a daily bases to my children myself; but the arguement about the language would
    be better off in humanities then in here.

Personally I think irish names that connect out children to thier family and thier heritage are a wonderful thing to give our children and my two know thier stories assocated with thier names and love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

spurious wrote:
    I would be seriously shocked if you came across an Irish person who did not know the name Gráinne.

Agreed. I know several.
    spurious wrote:
    If I saw a child called Grania my first thought would be that the parents were American and could not spell Gráinne.

Have to say, I'd feel the same way. Never heard of Grania before, and it just looks and sounds terrible to me. granny-a. :(
    spurious wrote:
    As for it being like gránna, that is just daft. The boy's name Denis is one letter away from another word too, but it does not enter my mind when I meet a person called Denis.

HAHAHA.

People associate names with people they've met. I think Gráinne's a nice name. We called our little girl Róisín as we both liked the name and didn't really know anyone with the name to positively / negatively influence it. :) You'll find peoples views on here are flavoured by their previous experiences and I suggest you just ignore them all and go with what you like.

Macros: I heard and suggested Bláithín to Liz the other day for our next girl. Beautiful name...her response: STEADY ON! :D Must confess I didn't know / couldn't remember your girls names. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My son has a Irish name, then his mother is a native Irish speaker so I imagine you would see nothing wrong with it. Plus, my own name Pádraig is Irish, though I imagine it doesn't fit into your own catagory as ott Irish names since it's so common.

There is a bit of a fad with Irish names I'll agree, but don't tar us all with the same brush. I was given an Irish first name simply because my mother liked the name, and Irish names in general. For quite a few people it's simple aesthetics rather than making a statement or whatever. I think most Irish names sound nice. I don't see the big deal, it isn't pretentious, or at least not where I'm from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

You've probably had the baby by now, and congrats if you have. I think some Irish names are really pretty. Personally, I'm not huge on Gráinne, but then again, that's just me. I like Aoife (my sister's name,) Aisling, Saoirse, Sorcha and Caoimhe for Irish names. Caoimhe is a really pretty name!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jacy

and named her Ginger...a last minute change! She beautiful and healthy and that matters much more than her name. I appreciate all the comments though...thanks for the input!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Thank God! I never liked the name Gráinne. Ginger is an awesome name - congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

She has red hair, I take it? :)

Advertisement