Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my Rifle, comments!

Options
  • 04-04-2007 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of changing my stalking rifle, for two reasons.

1. A lighter rifle.
    Current gun is a Sako Varmint heavy barrel, very heavy for a day on the Hill!
    I'm kind of settled on a Mannlicher classic timber stock.

2. A more versatile caliber.
    6.5x55 is what I have now, but want something to take to Europe for wild boar and maybe Africa for plains game. 6.5x55 is not really accepted for these bigger game. So again I am nearly settled on a 30-06.

Discuss!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

6.5 isnt the worst calibre either for Africa,considering the Swedes have shot Moose with this for generations.But it will depend where you are hunting in Africa.Plains shooting can be out to 400 plus meters.My cousin used a 300 win mag in Namibia for gazelle type critters. 30.06 will drop most things in Africa as well [bar dangerous thick skinned critters].But unless you have a gun boy or are going traveling alot by jeep,or blind hunting,you will feel its weight in the heat.By rights you do need two rifles for a Safari,depending on what you are after of course. light and long cal for gazelle type.In which the Swede will do .
    But if you were going after dangerous game ,anything under .375 H&H is not recommended.
    My suggestion,go a 308,without the varmit barrel[Do you really need that type of accruacy in hunting?Unless you are after varmits of course:) ] and 308 will drop boar as well. Mannlicher is good as it is a fast bolt action.

Advertisement