Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dashing?

Options
  • 04-04-2007 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

or whatever you call it now! Not the awful lumps of cement thrown at the wall and painted but the new stuff that looks like tiny bits of coloured tile. It doesn't need painting. What do you call it & how expensive is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

dry dashing is the name of it-three bed semi roughly 1000 to 1200 for the front -chap called fitzmuir from belgard excells at it but he hard to get -dont have his number but im sure directory enquiries-fitzmuir construction or plastering

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

A word of caution:

while it dosen't need painting, in a few years it will require acid treatment to stop it discolouring and getting reddish stain runs on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

artieanna wrote:
    A word of caution:

while it dosen't need painting, in a few years it will require acid treatment to stop it discolouring and getting reddish stain runs on it...

Now you have my attention! I'm dry dashing our new build and always wondered about this redness that appears on some houses. Do you treat it before it occurs or after?

Lily, it's great believe me. For the cost of it you will never have to paint it and it looks better imo. We went with 10mm white marble stone on a white sand cement finish and the bags of stone 40kg cost about 9euro each. Tonne bags of white sand about 25eoru. Plasterers prefere dry dashing to nap/smooth finish because they don't have to be as paticular, cus they just lash the stones agiinst the wall and it's done.

Amazing amount of waste though, stones go everywhere. Nearly impossible to recycle them without getting dirt of morter included, and you don't want that on your walls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

its fairly hard to maintain, kids out with a ball=stones on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks guys! Only want the back of the house done so not worried about footballs! How much would the acid treatment cost approx?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mljn

Where can you buy the stones and also the white sand for 25 E a bag as I have been quoted 130 E a tonne for the white sand.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I don't actually know any details about acid treatment or costs, I was told this by a builder and I know of some people that had it done..

I would advise asking someone that has done it already or the people applying the dash...

Sorry I don't know more guys

Advertisement