Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the dell laptops come with vista anytime upgrade?

• 04-04-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Does the dell laptops come with vista anytime upgrade?

If not were can i order it without paying for it? (Iw ant to try it out first and if it worth it i'll buy the activation code

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Has your account been hacked or something as you already have Vista from this thread and a thread with a very similar request is in the comp/tech forum maybe it's just coincidence ?

Anyway if no to the above the Dell systems no longer come with the Vista upgrade disc & the time period to take advantage of said offer has now expired.

If you want to use Vista as a trial version if you already have the Vista DVD you can install it without a serial key and it will operate in a trial mode for a limited time before you must purchase a serial key.

Anytime Upgrade is a different upgrade mechanism which is built into the Vista OS which allows you to upgrade from one version of Vista to another e.g Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.

To use Anytime Upgrade go into the Control Panel and you will find the Anytime Upgrade icon inside there that will start the process. Vista Home Basic can be upgraded to Home Premium or Ultimate, this features table may be of interest to you in deciding which to go for (Anytime Upgrade can not be used in a trial mode either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I have Vista basic installed, but wanna upgrade to premium and just want to know how I go about doing it. The first thread is mine discussing should I stick with Vista or go back to XP (not really relevant here as I’ve made my decsion!) and the second thread isn’t mine so its just coincidence.

You said if I want to use Anytime Upgrade (which I do as I already have basic installed!) go into the Control Panel and find the Anytime Upgrade icon inside there that will start the process. That’s my problem, when I go to this it tells me to go get an upgrade disc. That’s what im wondering about and what I need to know! Why isn’t this disc supplied with my Dell laptop (I only have a disc that’s called Vista Basic already installed).
    Were can this disc be got now without having to buy it (I want to test premium out before I purchase it).

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Ah I see okay that explains things a bit more.

In order for the process to work you must have the full OS on disc however with OEM's that do not supply the OS on disc this matter can be dealt with in a few ways;

* The OS files are loaded onto the HD (Dell may have done this but I have not looked into how to confirm if they have)
    * A separate disc holding the files required for Anytime Upgrade is supplied - this is the disc I believe you are referring too.

With your Vista Home Basic disc if you look on the Vista disc's label you have & if it says anywhere "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" then your sorted.

Note if you have a friend who has the Vista DVD (Retail or OEM) you can borrow it from them temporarily and the upgrade process will proceed as normal.

If Dell only supplied you with a recovery disc and not a proper Vista OS DVD install disc & also did not supply the anytime upgrade disc then you can order the upgrade disc during the anytime upgrade order process.

Go through the order process as normal select Microsoft as the vendor and it will tell you about the anytime upgrade disc if you do not have one & give you the option to order one and have it sent to you.

Hope that clears things up.

(you still cant use it as a trial as what you are buying is a new serial key essentially the way to get a trial is to use the full install DVD without entering in a serial key as a clean install of the OS on a system).

Thnaks 8t8 for clearing that up with me. At least now I know what I need to do.

The disc i have doesnt include windows anytime upgrade so i'll need to get a Vista DVD without paying for it. I see the DVD can be downloaded from torrents (im refereing to the uncracked version, i dont use cracked software, especially not as an OS) so that may be my only option as I dont have the anytime upgrade disc and nor do any of my friends

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thnaks 8t8 for clearing that up with me. At least now I know what I need to do.

The disc i have doesnt include windows anytime upgrade so i'll need to get a Vista DVD without paying for it. I see the DVD can be downloaded from torrents (im refereing to the uncracked version, i dont use cracked software, especially not as an OS) so that may be my only option as I dont have the anytime upgrade disc and nor do any of my friends
    You don't need to get a DVD without paying for it.
    That isn't your only option. You could PAY for it.

If you don't want to pay for your OS there are MANY alternatives
    FreeVMS/openVMS
    openSolaris
    BSD
    Haiku, / OpenBeOS
    and lots of penguins

you could even download windows server 200trial 3 and re-build it each time the 6 month trial ends,

Read the charter about Warez or you'll get banned.

• Advertisement

You don't need to get a DVD without paying for it.
    That isn't your only option. You could PAY for it.

If you don't want to pay for your OS there are MANY alternatives
    FreeVMS/openVMS
    openSolaris
    BSD
    Haiku, / OpenBeOS
    and lots of penguins

you could even download windows server 200trial 3 and re-build it each time the 6 month trial ends,

Read the charter about Warez or you'll get banned.

I have every intention of paying for it if its what i want/like.But theres no way im forking out over 100euro for something I buy and then don't like when i can try it out for free. Im asking where could I get the free trial that microsoft are offering, thats all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have every intention of paying for it if its what i want/like.But theres no way im forking out over 100euro for something I buy and then don't like when i can try it out for free. Im asking where could I get the free trial that microsoft are offering, thats all.
    Microsoft don't generally do try before you buy/

the trial versions of desktop OS's usually ends when they ship

the nearest you could get is to install the OS from a borrowed CD and use it until activation kicks in. If you don't activate you then have the problem of getting the PC back to an earlier state. but that would almost certainly break the license as you accept the terms BEFORE you install

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/37070041-1b90-4433-be0c-ab2855841b981033.mspx
    What do I have to buy?

To upgrade to another edition of Windows Vista, you must purchase the upgrade online. Windows Anytime Upgrade automatically takes you to the website where you can purchase the upgrade. After purchasing the upgrade, you're instructed to download software that prepares your computer for the upgrade. The software takes a few minutes to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

From memory I believe Vista installs all files on the Hard Drive and its the key that decides on which features are activated.

Dell hae done a sloppy job with their install of Vista.

Basically MS supplied Dell with a different key for each Vista type and all that Dell do is use a modified install DVD with a separate key for each variant supported.

I know for cetain that any computer Dell have sold over the last 6 months can with the newest BIOS updates supplied by Dell be upgraded, using the Dell keys I have talked about to any variant of Vista even if the said computer originally came with XP.
    Vista on install will be pre activated and fully valid with updates working perfectly.

Personially I find Vista Aero very sluggish when used with Intel 950 integrated graphics even with the 3GB of RAM I have on this laptop!!!

Also I think Dell should give the purchaser the choice between XP and Vista when selecting parts.

Also from memory Dell only install Basic over premium with computers that have less than 1GB of RAM.
    From experience DO NOT INSTALL Premium if you only have 512MB of RAM as Vista in an ideal world requires 2GB of RAM!!!!!

Thnaks for the input.

I've read up on the differences between basic and premium and im not that intrested in Aero due to its sluggishness. Theres not that many different features either so im not to bothered and im goin to stick with basic for the time being

Advertisement