Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions please: Getting some painting work done

Options
  • 04-04-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

to the house and the wife has agreed to pay somebody recommended by a friend of hers who is charging us €300 a DAY.
    It's unlikely but I'm a bit worried the person may stretch it out a bit, should I be and is €300 the going rate for a painter these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Did the painter in question give you a time scale when it will be finished? Whats involved? Did you ask him how long it will take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

€300 is steep for a day rate. Depending on where you are in the country, a painter/dec day rate should be between 125 and 200 tops.
    You should really only consider a day rate if you know the tradesperson very well and the quality of their work and you are around to monitor how much work they are doing. Otherwise if you know or have a good idea of how much work (no. of coats and no .of rooms) they should be getting through in a day you could gauge the progress that way.
    But mostly people get jobs like this priced as a job and then you don't have to worry about time over runs. The onus is then on them to finish the job promptly and get paid.

Harto
    http://www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

€300 - Go tell him where to stick his brushes!!

Work out a block cost and as the previous poster said, find out what he intends to do.

Is he painting the exterior aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

To paint a 4 bed semi inside 7 days approx.
    He will then do the outside so I guess that's another 2 or 3 days.
    The cost of €300 a day is for himself and another guy but I'm just worried
    it may longer then originally suggested and then each day is costing me another €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Avoid paying by time where possible as there is no incentive for efficiciency and it can lead to a job being dragged out.

Most competent tradesmen should be able to give a fixed quote for a job like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

To paint a 4 bed semi inside 7 days approx.
    He will then do the outside so I guess that's another 2 or 3 days.
    The cost of €300 a day is for himself and another guy but I'm just worried
    it may longer then originally suggested and then each day is costing me another €300.

Is the house a new build with everything new for painting,no furniture,carpets,floors? Two painters working for 7days will definitely get this done if they are any good. Or are you currently living in it? If so under 7 days is a tad bit optimistic if your living in it but could be done I suppose,it depends on what they call a normal working day. There is a lot of covering up to do plus furniture to move etc...

So price of €300 a day is actually €150 per painter(Cash in hand). Did you get a break down of what they are doing like "Ceilings,walls,woodwork". I presume you are supplying paint as well. It aint bad €300 for two painters a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mad m wrote:
    It aint bad €300 for two painters a day.

Not bad at all....until you consider that it'll most likely be one painter and a young fella/apprentice.
    If tax/VAT etc is all above board, you're unlikely to get two painters for the rate quoted...day rate in and around Dublin currently is approaching €250.

Personally I wouldn't take anyone on on a time rate unless I was paying their wages and was there to keep an eye on them; any painter worth their salt should be able to give you a guide price and approximate time to finish. Come to an agreement and get him in, otherwise avoid (IMHO).

Advertisement