Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incredibly realistic scary nightmares

Options
  • 05-04-2007 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

:(

For the past three or four weeks, I've been having these really intense, scary, wake-up-in-a-cold-sweat nightmares. I usually have really memorable dreams and have had a few stand out nightmares in the past (including one that I died in) but never so many all at the same time.

I realise its probably to do with stuff going on in my life at the moment - my granny who I was very close to passed away last month, and I'm also stressed with college work and interviews.

I was just wondering if any of ye wonderful people out there had an idea for something that will stop the nightmares? I'll try anything that might work....lavander pillows, Dreamcatchers, stuffing my duvet with cheese, anything!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've had a few of those alright... really realistic... you almost wouldn't be right for the whole day after them.
    My sister went through a stage of being plagued by nightmares and thought the dreamcatcher worked well... but I'm a skeptic, so I think it was a placebo effect.
    Either way, it seems to me that the control is all there in your own head.
    Maybe part of it is down to your dwelling on having nightmares and fearing having more of them.

I read somewhere that the subconcious doesn't understand 'no'... so maybe concentrate on trying to have nice dreams rather than trying to not have nightmares.

My 2c anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I realise its probably to do with stuff going on in my life at the moment - my granny who I was very close to passed away last month, and I'm also stressed with college work and interviews.

I was just wondering if any of ye wonderful people out there had an idea for something that will stop the nightmares? I'll try anything...
    I've had them too. What helps... cut back on the coffee and tea (and smoking or recreational drugs if you do them), don't eat too late or too much, find a good novel to read before going to sleep, have a glass of wine, get into regular strenuous exercise (I do martial arts workouts and they're exhausting, as is bedroom exercise with your significant other), make sure your bed is the right firmness (of softness) for you, and attempt to work through your current stressful situation by talking to a good friend (or if it is really bad and persists, see a school, career, or therapy counsellor, depending upon your needs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

have a glass of wine.

I work in an off license and t'other day an old woman asked me to recommend a wine. I showed her a Chilean red and she said she can't drink Chilean wine cos it gives her 'mares! Is this in any way common or was she just a lunatic? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Some of my best dreams were when I was doing exams at Uni (not during the actual exams of course :D)

Best as in memorable, coherent and worth writing down. So it's 1/2 stress-relief and probably 1/2 everything else (diet, air quality, external factors like noise etc)

Advertisement