Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Advice please

• 05-04-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Could someone give me advice regarding the path I should take with the following problem?
    Thanks in advance.
    I run a small IT services business in a town outside Dublin.
    I've taken an office at the local enterprise centre and have been operating out of there for over a year.
    A month ago a customer's laptop was stolen from the office.
    There was no sign of forced entry and the office was locked.
    My office is inside the centre's main building and can only be accessed by entrering the building through the front door. The entire complex and main hall, (except, of course, for my office door), is under video surveillance.
    There are only four people with access to the key of this office - Myself and three of the staff members at the centre.
    It has also transpired that the key to my office is the same as a key to one of the toilets in the building.
    The evidence still points strongly to one of the centre's staff. Video evidence and other circumstantial evidence point to this person. However the evidence has not been acted upon by the Gardai and in the month since I filed a report with them I've had no contact from them apart from calling into the station and the one phone call I made that managed to reach the investigating officer.
    This is the background of the issue. The issue I need advice on is this:

My insurance company, and the centre's insurance company, do not cover larceny.
    The centre's manager committed to paying for the stolen laptop out of the centre's budget however at a recent meeting of the centre's committee this was overruled on grounds that it would set a "precedent".

I've been asked to send a letter to the committee to plead my case but I have little hope of achieving anything with this.

This post seems a bit all over the place now so if anything is unclear I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Another issue is that my lease apparently states that security is my responsibility.
    However, if I change the locks on my door I am still required to furnish the centre's staff with keys.

I am at a complete loss about what to do next.
    This has been an unfortunate incident as I have no desire to move office but I am finding dealing with all parties (Insurer, Centre, Gardai) to be incredibly frustrating.
    If the Gardai had done their job there was a good chance the laptop could have been recovered as the suspect is known as a local small time criminal.
    My insurer is also the centre's insurer so they seem to be doing their best to avoid any complications without actually doing anything.
    The centre initially accepted responsibility but have now reneged. The manager also told me that when they were taking the suspect on they were told to "keep everything tied down" when they were around!

I can't afford to go to a solicitor at this stage but can anyone tell me if I have a case against the centre for the duplicate key or their staff robbing me?
    Is their claim about precedent valid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement