Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red meat is not bad for you

Options
  • 05-04-2007 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

I just want everyone that doesnt eat red meat because they think its bad for you are dead wrong-Lean red meat is packed full of iron and zinc not to mention protein which is very important for repair and over all health, as long as its lean cuts and is grilled not fried its healthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Ok, thanks for that. I'll stop being a vegetarian then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

In small amounts maybe, but probably much smaller than the average meat-eater consumes (at least in the West). It's very well established that over-consumption is linked to various cancers and heart disease, among other things.

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=all&edition=d&q=red+meat
    (sorry I just like the BBC website!)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I just want everyone that doesnt eat red meat because they think its bad for you are dead wrong-Lean red meat is packed full of iron and zinc not to mention protein which is very important for repair and over all health, as long as its lean cuts and is grilled not fried its healthy.
    May I suggest that you read "The China Study" and then come back and talk to us.
    I get plenty of iron and zinc and protein in my current diet but without the cancer risk so if you do not mind I will just stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Peanut wrote:
    In small amounts maybe, but probably much smaller than the average meat-eater consumes (at least in the West). It's very well established that over-consumption is linked to various cancers and heart disease, among other things.

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=all&edition=d&q=red+meat
    (sorry I just like the BBC website!)

Overconsumption of anything is bad for you in fairness. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

we are made of meat so meat is the ideal food ?

First you can rule out hormone laced meat from America.
    Here you can rule out antibiotic laced meat. It's one of the things that leads to antibiotic resistance / MRSA.

If meat has the ideal type of mineral and proteins the problem is that they are in the wrong ratio, as we tend to use up carbohydates and fats at a faster rate than proteins, which are used up in turn at a faster word than nucleic acids or in a word Gout.

Why do we have molars ?

Don't forget our ancestors have survived on a mostly vegetarian diet for the last 20-40 million years if not longer. We still have molars and can move our jaws from side to side and have a medium sized intestine. We also have major problems with too much vitamin D, no true carnivore would be killed by eating polar bear liver.

"Lean meat" is also about 25% fat, it not lean just leaner.

If you mean meat can be part of a diet , well guess what - we are omnivores most things we can eat as part of a balanced diet, we are opportunistic, other primates ( south american monkeys ) can eat leaves that are posionous to us, and some baboons can eat grass.

Be interesting to think what would happen if someone figures out how to grow muscle in tissue culture cheaply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Meats are the new vegetables!

I think I'll write a book on this some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

lol!!!!

we are made of meat so meat is the ideal food ?

And what exactly are elephants made out of

“One farmer says to me, ''You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with;'' and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying his system with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle”. - Henry David Thoreau

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mentalmiss wrote:
    And what exactly are elephants made out of
    Yummy, yummy food.

Did you prechance read beyond the first line ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Even if meat has health benefits, these advantages are often outweighed by the too-large portion sizes people tend to consume them in. Somebody has already noted this, but it's worth repeating.

I eat meat but I go periods without (my live-in girlfriend is a pescetarian of sorts, so sometimes it's just easier). If I have a kick-ass steak then after a spell of abstinence, my body moans and groans and doesn't appear to like it too much. Occasionally, I'll eat a whole (usually organic) chicken. Again, my body rebels.

The OP was fighting a losing battle by posting that post on this forum. All that selenium and zinc must be clouding his good judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

Ok First things first capt midnight you are completely wrong with a lot of what you said.Obviously if red meat has been compromised from man made influences like you mentioned with the hormone lacing and antibiotics then of course its bad for us the same way mercury in tuna and insectecides on vegetables are, my argument is that red meat is good for you in it natural form.

Also i didn't say meat was the ideal ratio its mostly mainly protein with some fat,obviously we should have a balanced diet that includes carbohydrates and healthy fats, and protein whether it comes from red meat or not is something that is severly lacking in the modern day diet,it should make up 30% of ones diet.Compare how mary harney looks to a mens health cover model, and the main difference in how they look is there diet withe menshealth guy eatinh much more % of protein and mary way too many carbs, ok you could say someone in shape exercises but nutrition makes up 80% of how one looks anyway.

Also you said our ancestors survived on a mainly vegetarian diet 20-40 million years ago, this statement completely proves you haven't a clue what your taking about.Humans haven't been around 20-40 million years and as a matter of a fact we have not even been here a mere million and early humans were hunters that ate MEAT.

You also said lean meat is 25% fat,this is complete and utter crap,why do you make up stuff and think you will get away with it.Round steak is the leanest steak you can get and is only 14% fat and thats not all saturated fat either, a mere 5-6% to be exact

Do some research before trying to look clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I haven't done my research but I just wanted to ask, has there been any studies to show that someone who eats red meat as their main source of protien, zinc, and iron end up with more of those nutrients being absorbed into their system than other sources?

What I'm trying to say is that saying that a particular food has certain nutrients is one thing. It needs to be proved that the human body can digest it and absorb it into it's system efficiently.

Again, I haven't researched into it. I'm just asking is there any studies to show that it's a better source of protien, iron, zinc etc than other sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

early humans were hunters that ate MEAT.

Early humans were in fact hunter-gatherers, who ate an omnivorous diet which showed massive geographical variation from almost purely vegetarian to almost purely carnivorous.

These days what to eat is a matter of choice in our little corner of the over-developed world, but there are still lots of people out there in other places who are glad to eat whatever they can get.

Citing early human behaviour is pointless in this argument because it was based on a nomadic lifestyle rather than an agriculture-based one. As lifestyles have changed so have dietary requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

im not advocating eating red meat every day, any diet needs variety so include other protein sources like chicken ,turkey ,all fish ,eggs, cottage cheese etc but a piece of steak 2-3 times a week is healthy as long as its not fried with butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Surely Fillet or Sirloin is leaner than round steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

... but a piece of steak 2-3 times a week is healthy as long as its not fried with butter
    2-3 times a week sounds like too much IMO
    Your mileage may vary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

It's one of the things that leads to antibiotic resistance / MRSA.

No it's not.
    I don't eat red meat but it does not lead to MRSA

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Whether meat is healthy or not, some vegetarians/vegans choose not to eat animal products becuase they don't believe its correct to kill animals just to eat them.

Regardless of how healthy something is if it goes against your morals you're not going to eat it.

Ok First things first capt midnight you are completely wrong with a lot of what you said.Obviously if red meat has been compromised from man made influences like you mentioned with the hormone lacing and antibiotics then of course its bad for us the same way mercury in tuna and insectecides on vegetables are, my argument is that red meat is good for you in it natural form.
    Nope they aren't allowed to add mercury to tuna anymore. Chemical on vegetables are not good, but organic vegetables are readily available.
    Also you said our ancestors survived on a mainly vegetarian diet 20-40 million years ago, this statement completely proves you haven't a clue what your taking about.Humans haven't been around 20-40 million years and as a matter of a fact we have not even been here a mere million and early humans were hunters that ate MEAT.
    I used the word ancestors instead of the word humans for that reason. Also bones from fossil humanoids have shown symptoms of disease caused by too much vitamin D.
    You also said lean meat is 25% fat,this is complete and utter crap,why do you make up stuff and think you will get away with it.Round steak is the leanest steak you can get and is only 14% fat and thats not all saturated fat either, a mere 5-6% to be exact
    Ok you got me there that should have been "up to 25%" http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0813/is_n8_v15/ai_6792258
    In fact, the average fat content of "lean" ground beef sold in supermarkets nationwide is not 10 percent, it's 21. The average "extra lean" is not 5 percent fat, it's 17.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Women eating red meat causes infertility in thier sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Nope they aren't allowed to add mercury to tuna anymore. Chemical on vegetables are not good, but organic vegetables are readily available.
    :confused: Sorry since when has mercury been "added" to tuna? I think you might find that mercury contamination tends to accumulate in larger fish such as tuna.
    Women eating red meat causes infertility in thier sons.
    Em...peer-reviewed evidence based publication for this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

Sorry since when has mercury been "added" to tuna? I think you might find that mercury contamination tends to accumulate in larger fish such as tuna.

nice.

sportswear wrote:
    No it's not.
    I don't eat red meat but it does not lead to MRSA
    Who said eating it had anything to do with MRSA ?

It's the usage of massive amounts of antibiotics that's the problem, up to 70% of the antibiotics in the USA are used in cattle feed and other parts of the food chain. Many bacteria can exchange genes with other species of bacteria, so once any of them develop antibiotic resistance then it's possible that many other species can share the secret. Farms are not isolation wards, stuff gets moved, spilt, recycled ( in the US you can have animals canabilse stuff left behind by processing which creates a positive feedback loop - which is not good ). And like the hormones the antibiotics aren't there to keep the cattle healthy , they are there to promote weight gain.

Profit before common sense. The transmission method and leathality of Laughing sickness has long been know, and ignored.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    :confused: Sorry since when has mercury been "added" to tuna?
    My point exactly.
    juanveron45 was comparing the ongoing and increasing deliberate addition of bio-active chemicals for cattle which can have knock on effects , to the accidental pollution by heavy metals that used to happen in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Big difference between eating raw meat with all it's natural enzymes intact for a healthy digestion and eating cooked meat which ferments in the gut!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I eat meat every day along with loads of dairy products...is that bad for my health?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I eat meat every day along with loads of dairy products...is that bad for my health?

That just depends on how healthy you would like to be, you can lead a relatively healthy life in my opinion eating a moderate amount of these things, but for optimum health it's my opinion you're much better off without. These foodsftuffs are so heavily indicated in the etiologies of so many diseases they just aren't compatable in large amounts for a diet aimed at disease prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

early humans were hunters that ate MEAT.

early humans would have eaten raw meat - they wouldn't have cooked it and seasoned it. What exactly is your point with this rant? Do you actually think because some person on an internet forum said so I will start eating red meat again after 15+ years of not eating it? My mums a GP and when I first went veggie tested my bloods every couple of months as she was sure I was going to get ill from what she thought was a poor diet but not only were my bloods ok they were actually better then when I ate meat. I had gut wrenching stay in bed for a week PMS when I ate meat, I've never had a single cramp since going veggie, my skin and nails look better and I feel better so regardless of wither red meat is or isn't bad for people, I feel better not eating it. It's my choice that I don't force on anyone else and I don't think the cattle farmers of Ireland are going to go out of business due to my lack of red meat consumption.

Edit: never mind just saw they've been banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

no need to bring up this old thread.

*locked*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement