Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Dealer description **** up

Options
  • 05-04-2007 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Does this Proton actually have any relation to the Colt as which it is being marketed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

ninty9er wrote:
    Does this Proton actually have any relation to the Colt as which it is being marketed.

ya, they have the same body and interior, and all spare parts comes from the same spare parts bin.
    AFAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:

Yes, Proton usually base their cars on 2nd or 3rd generation Mitsubishis. They used to sell them here for a short time during the early 1990s, they were based on the squar Colt and Lancer that was sold back in the 1980s.

These days they still sell rebadged old Mitsubishi models, they recently launched a rebadged version of now well retired Mitsubishi Carisma. They still sell rhd cars in the UK but left the Irish market many many years ago.

Still poor marketing stunt by that dealer to try and shift that tired UK import. See alot of that on carzone such as Vauxhalls being advertised as Opels, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ninty9er wrote:

With the exception of the radiator grille, you'd be hard pushed to find anything different from the colt sold here between 1992 and 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fair enough, much Like Kia and the old Mazda 121 then:D :D

Still, as Bazz said...it's not the same residuals wise so don't go making out it's a Colt

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ninty9er wrote:
    Fair enough, much Like Kia and the old Mazda 121 then:D :D

Still, as Bazz said...it's not the same residuals wise so don't go making out it's a Colt
    I seem to remember a few court cases some years back when Japanese import Toyotas were being rebadged and sold on as Lexus LS400s. Needless to say, the new owners were not happy when they found out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The old Toyota Soarer issue. It was the same car, in fairness. I don't think there were court cases so much as general uproar of the Joe Duffy type.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anan1 wrote:
    I seem to remember a few court cases some years back when Japanese import Toyotas were being rebadged and sold on as Lexus LS400s. Needless to say, the new owners were not happy when they found out.

In fairness, that's easy to spot if you bother to read the log book or tax disc

overdriver wrote:
    The old Toyota Soarer issue. It was the same car, in fairness.
    Not when it comes to resale.
    overdriver wrote:
    I don't think there were court cases so much as general uproar of the Joe Duffy type.
    I don't have a link to hand, but I clearly remember at least one guy taking the dealer who sold him the car to court and winning.

ninty9er wrote:
    In fairness, that's easy to spot if you bother to read the log book or tax disc
    Dealers will post the log book off for you, you only see it when it comes back in the post. By the same token, out-of-date tax discs are often removed. Of course there are signs if one knows what to look for, but it simply wouldn't have occurred to many.

Fair enough. Ridiculous when you think about it though.

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote:
    Fair enough. Ridiculous when you think about it though.
    Not really, who knows what's different on a car originally built for a different market?

I doubt that was the issue with any of the complainants. More likely one badge made the neighbours sit up and take notice, and the other didn't.

overdriver wrote:
    I doubt that was the issue with any of the complainants. More likely one badge made the neighbours sit up and take notice, and the other didn't.
    Yet another reason why the import would be worth less at resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of that carry on happening. A Toyota Altezza being advertised as a Lexus IS200 and priced accordingly. Easierst way to tell afaik is that the IS200 has a straight six engine whereas the Altezza has a 4 pot and ususally has lower grade interior.

Anan1 wrote:
    Yet another reason why the import would be worth less at resale.

That was the point I was making, Anan. The Soarer and the Lexus were identical other than this, as I recall. Unlike the Altezza and the LS200.

Advertisement