Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sister Crystal's story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Great story, it reminds me of this translation from the Qur'an
    “By the morning hours. And by the night when it is stillest. Thy Lord hath not forsaken thee nor doth He hate thee. And verily the latter portion will be better for thee than the former. And verily thy Lord will give unto thee so that thou wilt be content. Did He not find thee an orphan and protect (thee)? Did He not find thee wandering and direct (thee)?(Ad-Dhuha: 1-8)

People who convert (revert) to Islam tend often to have very testing backgrounds like Crystals, but what they really show those of us who grew up in Islam, is how to commit and strive to properly embrace Islam.
    Attempting to be a good Muslim in Ireland (or any secular culture) can be a struggle by itself, but personally I'm glad I'm attempting it with a family doing the same. People who come to Islam later in life have an extra burden I think, of having to start out by swimming against the tide. This initial leap and struggle sounds like a tough test of strength, but still quite an inspiring one for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Yeah, definitely. That sura is very fitting. And one that is very dear to my heart.

I always get the impression that people who convert/revert to Islam appreciate it far more than somebody who was born in it. And 99% of the time, they're far better Muslims than most born Muslims as, as you say, they really strive hard and need to make huge efforts. There's no doubt about the extra burden and the family thing can be a little awkward I'm sure. Respect is due.

May God grant us all the strength and wisdom to follow what is right and stay away from what is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

the_new_mr wrote:
    Saw this video and I really liked it a lot! Thought I'd share it with you guys here.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5653194852866385170&q=crystal+Islam

100% of All revert women I know converted AFTER meeting a muslim boyfriend. And after a relstionship that the muslim man should not have had. Is that interesting ? Is that a factor I wonder ?

Even this woman had a baby out of wed-lock for a muslim man. What would be the punshment under Islamic law for this man ?

Plus what would happen to his child when born, under Islamic law, would this child be considered a muslim child because she was conceived by a muslim ?

......On a side note, I dont smoke and Im very healthly, both my parents dont drink, my wife doesnt smoke either. What does this have to do with anything............nothing, so what!

Your post seems a little... how can I put it?... strange??

Apart from being strange, it also seems to be full of anger.

Crystal herself said that the Muslim boyfriend was not a practicing Muslim and it wasn't him that made her interested in Islam but rather, quite ironically, a Christian Arab man that thought that she was going to become a Muslim even though she wasn't thinking about it at the time.
    DinoBot wrote:
    What would be the punshment under Islamic law for this man ?
    Since you asked, no punishment unless there were four reliable witnesses that actually witnessed the act itself. And if that was the case however unlikely then flogging.
    DinoBot wrote:
    Plus what would happen to his child when born, under Islamic law, would this child be considered a muslim child because she was conceived by a muslim ?
    If I had to single out one sentence out of your whole post that made your post strange then it would be this one. I think you would know that everyone in Islam is considered a Muslim at birth and it is their upbringing/chosen religion later that decides their faith.

And just for the record, just because 100% of all Muslim woman converts you know did so after having a Muslim boyfriend doesn't mean that's how it usually happens. For all I know, you might know only two Muslim woman converts.

the_new_mr wrote:

Apart from being strange, it also seems to be full of anger.

Yeah, I was a bit angry after I watched it, mainly because I felt bad that a vid like that might be used to influence other woman to convert to Islam...... I really have to learn not to do angry posts :D

the_new_mr wrote:
    Since you asked, no punishment unless there were four reliable witnesses that actually witnessed the act itself. And if that was the case however unlikely then flogging.

Are you trying to say the witnesses have to see the act ? I think not !. In this modern day of DNA testing you could easily find 4 witnesses to testify the act took place. A child was born, so that makes it so much easier.
    the_new_mr wrote:
    If I had to single out one sentence out of your whole post that made your post strange then it would be this one. I think you would know that everyone in Islam is considered a Muslim at birth and it is their upbringing/chosen religion later that decides their faith.

I wasnt clear in my question, it was in relation to the child. If the mother had not converted to Islam who would have legal custody of the child (of course assuming the muslim boyfriend wanted custody in this case) Would the Islamic court rule in favour of the woman or the man ?

Also, she seemed quite happy with the single life she has now, but this life would not happen under Islam. If a woman got pregnant for a muslim man and then went to the Prophet (saw) and converted to Islam shortly after in the next breath she would be married off to someone.. Ive never come across anything in Islam which would allow a single woman to raise a child on her own. I might be wrong, Im open to learn something new here.

Thats what got me angry, the "islamic" life she seems to enjoy is NOT islamic at all. The freedom she if enjoying being single and no sigma being attached to her is because of her country Canada NOT because of Islam. As I said Ive never seen any islamic laws on this one.

And then she goes on how she is more healthy, alot of nonmuslims dont drink or smoke, its not unique to Islam. It implies non-muslims have this unhealthly lifestyle.

the_new_mr wrote:

And just for the record, just because 100% of all Muslim woman converts you know did so after having a Muslim boyfriend doesn't mean that's how it usually happens. For all I know, you might know only two Muslim woman converts.

In my experience it IS how it usually happens, ask some of the sisters, see for yourself. There may be exceptions, I have not fould one yet however. And my sample is larger than two :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

Dino Bot wrote:
    Are you trying to say the witnesses have to see the act ? I think not !. In this modern day of DNA testing you could easily find 4 witnesses to testify the act took place. A child was born, so that makes it so much easier.
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. I understand that DNA can be unreliable but I'm not an expert on that so I could be wrong. Perhaps that's something that needs to be considered by the scholars.

Also, I've heard an interesting idea about the 4 witness requirement. Some people have said it's almost as if it's supposed to protect the society more than anything else. If a couple are so careless that 4 witnesses see the act then that's potentially very damaging to the society for a number of reasons.

Child psychologists say that parents need to be very careful to lock the door when being intimate as the child may be severely psychology scarred if they witnessed the act so one idea is that one function of the rule is to protect the eyes and minds of little children.

Also, if strangers witness a promiscuous act, they may be encouraged to perform one of their own which is another reason for the 4 witnesses thing. To act more as a deterrent to protect society. And only God knows for sure.
    Dino Bot wrote:
    I wasnt clear in my question, it was in relation to the child. If the mother had not converted to Islam who would have legal custody of the child (of course assuming the muslim boyfriend wanted custody in this case) Would the Islamic court rule in favour of the woman or the man ?
    Not sure but the woman would have custody I think. Really not sure though. It's way out of my realm of knowledge.
    Dino Bot wrote:
    If a woman got pregnant for a muslim man and then went to the Prophet (saw) and converted to Islam shortly after in the next breath she would be married off to someone..
    Well, she wouldn't marry anyone she didn't want to that's for sure.
    Dino Bot wrote:
    Ive never come across anything in Islam which would allow a single woman to raise a child on her own. I might be wrong, Im open to learn something new here.
    Well, as I said, I'm not sure. I know of women who do this more or less after divorce. They get custody and the man is responsible for financial support. Have to say, I don't know of any cases where a single Muslim woman got pregnant and faced this dilemma. Suppose that's a good thing. You'd be better off asking islamonline for something like this I'd say.
    Dino Bot wrote:
    In my experience it IS how it usually happens, ask some of the sisters, see for yourself. There may be exceptions, I have not fould one yet however. And my sample is larger than two:rolleyes: :D
    Well, in my experience and from what I've seen on a load of documentaries, most sisters do it of their own accord. And my sample is also larger than two :)

the_new_mr wrote:

Well, in my experience and from what I've seen on a load of documentaries, most sisters do it of their own accord. And my sample is also larger than two :)

Oh, if TV said it then it must be true :p

No call for that.

And also the conversion stories I know are not only from TV.

the_new_mr wrote:
    No call for that.

And also the conversion stories I know are not only from TV.

That was ment in jest, really!

I had no intention to offend.

Yeah, I know it was meant in jest. Hence the :p Still, no call for it.

Don't worry about it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement