Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Gillick - Vote for European Athlete of the Month

Options
  • 05-04-2007 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

As posted on AAI website David Gillick has been nominated for the European Athlete of the Month based on his excellent and inspiring run in the 400m indoors.

You can vote for Gillick on the EAA website here.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

is it not taking the piss a bit to vote him in again? I know this covers the month when he actually won, but the vote last month went his way because of that..

now having said that, I voted for him and he is just ahead of gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ChickenTikka

"Please vote for David at the EAA Website "

That's the last line of the AAI notice at http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=1334#more-1334

Does it not make a nonsense of it to ask people to specifically vote for 1 person. I know his was a great achievement but there were plenty of other great achievements at the European Championships and people should make up their own minds.

It would be better to phrase it as "David Gillick has been nominated etc. Please vote for the athlete of your choice at the EAA Website".

Of course everyone would like to see an Irishman get it - but wouldn't it be better if he got it based on people's true belief rather than a nationalistic voting pattern. Do other countries vote this way also? I suspect not since their population is so much greater and David Gillick would never have won it last month if the Germans, English, French etc voted along geographical patterns.

The EAA site says selection is 50% based on the public vote and 50% on a media vote. That may bring some level of fairness to the selection unless the media also vote along national boundaries.

I voted for David the last time but won't bother this time. He certainly deserved one award but two? From an Irish perspective, is Paul Hession's achievement in the European Championships not greater. This year, Hession has knocked 0.14s off Gary Ryan's old NR of 6.75 - a 2.07% improvement on the record. Gillick has knocked 0.47s off Paul McKee's old NR of 45.99 - a 1.02% improvement.

If we had an AAI athlete of the month, I'd be giving it to Hession rather than Gillick. That's not to diminish David Gillick's achievements - both are fantastic athletes with fantastic progress, but David already got EAA athlete of the month for his achievement since the vote took place after the European Championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

"Please vote for David at the EAA Website "

That's the last line of the AAI notice at http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=1334#more-1334

Does it not make a nonsense of it to ask people to specifically vote for 1 person. I know his was a great achievement but there were plenty of other great achievements at the European Championships and people should make up their own minds.

It would be better to phrase it as "David Gillick has been nominated etc. Please vote for the athlete of your choice at the EAA Website".

Of course everyone would like to see an Irishman get it - but wouldn't it be better if he got it based on people's true belief rather than a nationalistic voting pattern. Do other countries vote this way also? I suspect not since their population is so much greater and David Gillick would never have won it last month if the Germans, English, French etc voted along geographical patterns.

The EAA site says selection is 50% based on the public vote and 50% on a media vote. That may bring some level of fairness to the selection unless the media also vote along national boundaries.

I voted for David the last time but won't bother this time. He certainly deserved one award but two? From an Irish perspective, is Paul Hession's achievement in the European Championships not greater. This year, Hession has knocked 0.14s off Gary Ryan's old NR of 6.75 - a 2.07% improvement on the record. Gillick has knocked 0.47s off Paul McKee's old NR of 45.99 - a 1.02% improvement.

If we had an AAI athlete of the month, I'd be giving it to Hession rather than Gillick. That's not to diminish David Gillick's achievements - both are fantastic athletes with fantastic progress, but David already got EAA athlete of the month for his achievement since the vote took place after the European Championships.

nice post!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

The final result hasn't been posted yet but the last time I looked (within 24 hours of closing) Gillick was leading Jason Gardener by about half a percentage point.

In favour of Gillick, his performance was adjudged, using the Hungarian scoring table, as the best performance of the European Indoor championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got an email this morning saying Gardener had won. It's on the EEA homepage now. I'm sure the vote was influenced by Gillick's win in February, but having said that Gardener is equally deserving.

I voted for Gillick in March but not in February.

• Advertisement
Advertisement