Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Increasing signal strength on Linksys WRT54G

• 05-04-2007 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Here is my setup.
    I am in a dormer bungalow. When I had the WRT54G on the second floor I was getting signal strength of about 20% on the ground floor. Now I have moved the WRT54G into the attic and I loose the signal completely by the time I get to the ground floor.

Is there a way I can increase the signal strength of the WERT54G. I am running the DD-WRT firmware on it rather than the Linksys Firmware. And I have a 512k wireless broadband.

Would pointing the antennas down, towards the rest of the house rather than up to the roof, make much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Those antennas are omni directional so in theory pointing should help. Its a cheap one to try. Also it could be the card you are using in laptop/desktop is crap. I have one of those WAPs and the signal strength was fine two floors away (60%). You could buy a repeater but it is not guaranteed to make your situation a whole lot better. I would just move it to where you use it. Alternatively you could run Cat cabling down to the middle floor and run it from there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

1. you cn change the aerial size, this will improve the signal strength being broadcast, i can get longer ones here in limerick but they should be available from the likes of maplin
    2. you can purchase a signal booster, it picks up the weak signal near the source and boosts it, they cost around 80 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You can increase the broadcasting power of the wireless router [Xmit Power] running that firmware. Don't go OTT though. From the firmware's help file:
    Xmit Power: This value ranges from 1 - 251 mw, default value is 28mw. A safe increase of up to 70 would be suitable for most users. Higher power settings are not recommended for users due to excess heat generated by the radio chipset, which can affect the life of the router.

You could also try repositing the antennae. See this DIY job for focussing that precious signal down into the house as opposed to everyone on your street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

ethernet wrote:
    You can increase the broadcasting power of the wireless router [Xmit Power] running that firmware. Don't go OTT though. From the firmware's help file:

You could also try repositing the antennae. See this DIY job for focussing that precious signal down into the house as opposed to everyone on your street.

Thanks, I'll try that on the firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

You could also try purchasing a couple of high-gain antennae. You'll get a lot better signal using directional antennae, but you may require an omnidirectional pair if you're roaming over a wide range.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325021

• Advertisement
Advertisement