Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mindless Acts Of Vandalism to Bus Stops

• 05-04-2007 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the last year or so that there are repeat acts of mindless vandalism to bus stops at the Dunmore Road and I find this intolerable. The glass (or whatever material used in it's replacement) seems to get broken & smashed, week after week. As soon as it's replaced, some mindless twat comes along & smashes it all again, with the damage left pouring out onto the road and at the feet of people waiting for the bus the following day.

For this to happen the first time is once too often in my eyes so my question is what can be done about it? Could cctv be installed or something to monitor the situation and hold those responsible accountable for their intolerable actions? The cameras could be installed (for the bus stop outside the main entrance to WRH anyway) on the street lights pole by the roundabout which are way too high for anyone to interfere with.

What do people think? Something needs to be done about this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Well you are never going to change the behaviour of the idiot who does this so there are two choices.

1) CCTV
    2) Replace the glass with a metal side.

In my opinion they should make an announcement that if the galss is broken one more time they will remove the bustop. Let the community deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Well if it's week in week out, couldn't the council or Rapid or whoever just pay someone to keep on eye on it, say over the weekend, or whenever it is usually broken, so the can catch them in the act. Then you have the bastards. After that I'd have the man beat the living **** out of them, but apparently you can't do that these days, so I suppose let 'the law' deal with them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

I say bring back the stocks and place vandals like these in them and let the community throw rotten tomatoes etc at them:D

maybe outside of Churches on a sunday after Mass... might even increase the numbers attending:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ah it's great fun....but not as fun as smashing phone boxes!!!

pah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

merlante wrote:
    so I suppose let 'the law' deal with them.

Why do they use glass in bus stops and phone boxes in the first place? The law should be dealing with this kind of thing, prevention is always better than cure.

I remember one night there was serious vandalism carried out on the Millennium Plaza on The Quay. I saw the drawing on the way to work; it was a large, complex bit of work so it would have taken a good bit of time to do. I think it says a lot that the Garda were not patrolling the area that night, a main street in the city for a long period of time, that’s if they were patrolling in the first place.

• Advertisement

Why do they use glass in bus stops and phone boxes in the first place? The law should be dealing with this kind of thing, prevention is always better than cure.

I remember one night there was serious vandalism carried out on the Millennium Plaza on The Quay. I saw the drawing on the way to work; it was a large, complex bit of work so it would have taken a good bit of time to do. I think it says a lot that the Garda were not patrolling the area that night, a main street in the city for a long period of time, that’s if they were patrolling in the first place.

Ah you can't be bowing to the scumbags by making everything out of indestructible material that looks awful. We should make the city look well and try to keep it that way. A little bit of civic pride wouldn't go astray. I get the feeling that bystanders are less inclined to say something these days when they see scumbags trashing something. They're only kids after all.

And yeah, a few cops on the streets wouldn't go astray, it's not like we have that many main streets to cover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Actually i find it quite ironic that the council or whoever replaces the glass in the bus stops know that its been vandalised time and again and they still continue to replace the broken glass with DRUM ROLL...... new glass panels, simple solution is fit the damn things with plexiglass or some other non breakable material, and let the gurriers bounce there heads off of them in frustration at not being able to break them :) problem solved

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

merlante wrote:
    Ah you can't be bowing to the scumbags by making everything out of indestructible material that looks awful. We should make the city look well and try to keep it that way. A little bit of civic pride wouldn't go astray. QUOTE]

Glass covered footpaths and damaged bus stops are hardly the way to go. Its civic pride and wanting the city to look well that wants me to see bus stop and such structures to be constructed out of materials that are more suitable, making them sturdier does not necessarily mean they have to look awful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Glass covered footpaths and damaged bus stops are hardly the way to go. Its civic pride and wanting the city to look well that wants me to see bus stop and such structures to be constructed out of materials that are more suitable, making them sturdier does not necessarily mean they have to look awful.

What gets me is the people that do this would be the first people to pick a fight if you said to them "waterford is a **** hole".

I find it ironic that they'd be the first to do this yet they don't give a **** about the place as they break things and litter, :rolleyes:

bloody scumbags should be put out in the middle of no-where with only one bus stop servicing the area, and if the damage the bus stop or bus it should be taken away...let the ****ers walk :)

merlante wrote:
    Ah you can't be bowing to the scumbags by making everything out of indestructible material that looks awful. We should make the city look well and try to keep it that way. A little bit of civic pride wouldn't go astray. QUOTE]

Yeah, but I suspect that if we have a problem with people breaking things, merely making thing harder to break is not exactly getting at the root of the problem.

That ball sculpture in the park was made of an 'indestructible' material. Judging by some of the holes in it you'd swear somebody turned up with an electric drill or a chainsaw running off a generator to have a go at it... I have a funny feeling that this trend of making things indestructible is only starting an arms race with the scumbags, and doesn't make scumbags want to break things any less (or make them fear breaking things any more).

In other countries people break things less, and other people will actually tell you to stop if you start, and the authorities don't treat their populace like brazen children. It's a shame what's happening in Ireland. They don't even make park benches out of wood anymore. (Although park benches tend to get sawed up no matter what they're made of.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shinzon wrote:
    simple solution is fit the damn things with plexiglass or some other non breakable material, and let the gurriers bounce there heads off of them in frustration at not being able to break them :) problem solved

You mean like this????
    money_security.jpg
    3M was so sure that their Security Glass was unbreakable. They put up stacks of money in it and fitted the thing at the bus stop and ask every passerby to kick that thing. Why we never thought on this impressive advertisement? They did allocate a security guard to ensure no one breaks the rules.

Glass could stand a double-footed kick from a man with a 30 foot head start and was never broken.

merlante wrote:
    They don't even make park benches out of wood anymore. (Although park benches tend to get sawed up no matter what they're made of.)

The new benches in the new part of the park look like crap, their also not very comfortable :confused:

Cabaal wrote:
    You mean like this????
    money_security.jpg

Well preferbaly without the money in it :D but aye thats the idea, think it would be better to fit something like this once and be done with it rather then just keep replacing it again and again and again, when they boody well know that its going to be vanadalised again and again and again

im assuming those glass panels arent cheap, and they have been replaced at least 4 times in the last year at the Dunmore Road bus stop that i know of, do it once do it right tbh

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The one across from the hospital is constantly being smashed which makes me think it's constantly the same people/person. It'd be fairly impossible to catch someone in the act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

JPA wrote:
    The one across from the hospital is constantly being smashed which makes me think it's constantly the same people/person. It'd be fairly impossible to catch someone in the act.

The one down by Grantstown Park is always being broken. Glass all over the footpath again (last Monday I think it was).

JPA wrote:

Aye the door of one of the front panels was swinging open the other day as i was going into the shop

tis a disgrace tbh

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

kmick wrote:
    Well you are never going to change the behaviour of the idiot who does this so there are two choices.

1) CCTV
    2) Replace the glass with a metal side.

In my opinion they should make an announcement that if the galss is broken one more time they will remove the bustop. Let the community deal with it.

Are you seriouse??? That is a rediculouse idea. Punish the commuinity for a few poeples act?? There is very little the commuinity can do to stop this , short of vigilanty acts. I take it you do not use the bus on a regular basis.

In all honesty though, this has been happening for at least 20 years, and with far far more frequency in dublin, so you cant really be supprised. Yes it is disgracfull and should not be happening at all, but as I said, short of vigiliantism, or somehow managing to shift these poeples mindsets, theres not much that can be done.

Those reinforced windows would be a good idea , but as someone else already said , they will find ways to brake them , whether it be with lighters or drills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

all the authorities can do, if they catch them is that they should be sent on a course to Fas etc. and made to help make replacement ones. They might have a bit more respect for them then as it was their blood and sweat that went into making them. Mightn't be too eager to demolish their own work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe if the local authorities started focusing on providing adequete facilities for youngsters then these mindless acts of violence will be prevented. Spending money on replacing shattered glass is nothing more than money going down the drain. That money could be spent on prevention rather than replacement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

This is an argument that is frequently braught forth , but in all honesty i cant think of any facilities that could be made, what kind of facilities would you suggest?

• Advertisement

Maybe if the local authorities started focusing on providing adequete facilities for youngsters then these mindless acts of violence will be prevented. Spending money on replacing shattered glass is nothing more than money going down the drain. That money could be spent on prevention rather than replacement!

What about the skatepark(s)? Are there not sports grounds all over the city?

This is a bull**** argument anyway. Just because you are bored that does not give you a license to break stuff. I hate hearing this 'facilities' red herring whenever people rightly complain about vandals. It is not the council's fault that bus shelters are being vandalised, it is the vandal's fault!

merlante wrote:
    This is a bull**** argument anyway. Just because you are bored that does not give you a license to break stuff. I hate hearing this 'facilities' red herring whenever people rightly complain about vandals. It is not the council's fault that bus shelters are being vandalised, it is the vandal's fault!

Doesnt matter what facilities are built to cater for bored idiots, if all there hellbent on doing is breaking stuff, then there going to do it no matter whats built for them, and asking them nicely to goto the skatepark or what ever and not break that glass or vandalise this or that is not going to work

the acts of vandalism and violence are growing in the city, and get tough mesaures are needed by the gradai, hefty fines or other some such punishment is needed, not this pusyfooting around the little darlings TBH

Shin

Advertisement