Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bobbi Brown vs MAC

• 05-04-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

Thinking of going into BT to get a makeover done, and update my makeup collection. I bought a powder and a blush in MAC a few months ago so that'd be my only makeup from those two. I use a Vichy foundation.

I've heard that MAC go for heavy makeup but Bobbi Brown is more light and natural? I'm very pale and would like to look like I'm not wearing any makeup at all. My Vichy foundation is ivory and it matches my skin (that's how pale I am!)

Which would you recommend that I go to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I posted a thread up about this a while back and the consesus was for BB.
    I heard that MAC tend to have a 'look' which is very heavy around the eyes, so if you're not into that then you're better off going wth BobbI ....
    Maybe go in and have a chat to them both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

If you want a natural look DONT go to Mac. Why are you limited to these to for makeovers???

I would try Clinique or Prescriptives. Or ask about mineral make-up, very good for a natural look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hotlips_h

Would you think of going on a course instead? It'd be more expensive than a makeover but at least you won't be worried that they are trying to sell a particular range of products.

http://www.boylanandbalfe.com do them. (I have no connection with them but did one of their day courses with a friend and it was great fun and very useful.) They are familiar with almost everything which is on the market and would advise you on what you should be buying. You can even bring your current products with you and get an opinion on whether or not they suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Yes MAC do do your makeup heavily but if you ask specifically for it not to be heavy,then they wont do it heavily.simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i've never had a make-over done, but i do use bobbi brown tinted moisturiser. i think it's fantastic, and it looks very natural, so if that's anything to go by i'd suggest bb over mac for foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

What about Pout? I find them very good and will change anything if your not 100% happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I got most of my make up kit in Bobbi Brown a couple months ago. I really love the way it's designed to be natural looking. Also they're seemingly very natural products and don't smell really strongly of chemicals. I had the people at Mac try some foundations on me and they were either so light that they didn't cover flaws at all or so heavy that it was just ridiculous. The assistants scare the hell out of me as well and I find they have bad attitudes whereas the Bobbi Brown girls I was talking to were friendly, approachable and it was easy to ask for advice from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i find benefit very good with makeovers will exchange anything your not happy with. if your looking for natural look i think aveda are brilliant and their products smells fab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Attol wrote:
    I had the people at Mac try some foundations on me and they were either so light that they didn't cover flaws at all or so heavy that it was just ridiculous. The assistants scare the hell out of me as well and I find they have bad attitudes whereas the Bobbi Brown girls I was talking to were friendly, approachable and it was easy to ask for advice from them.

Yah I think I will go for Bobbi Brown so. When I got my powder and blush in MAC, the girl there was about 100 shades darker than me coz her foundation was so heavy so it kinda put me off getting a makeover there (I looked like Casper compared to her!)

Will let you all know how I get on - won't be able to get into BT for about two weeks or so, but I'll keep ye posted. Thanks a million to all who replied :D

Actually, I might wander over to Aveda as well and see what they have to offer, then I'll decide between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

the foundation in MAC isn't that great at all, i love all their other stuff stuff, esp their eyeshadows and pencils!

if i was getting my make-up done i'd get it done in MAC, but simply because i like the 'look' that they create.

if i was looking for something more natural then BObbi Brown would win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The MAC girls can't be beaten for technique. Personally I don't like MAC foundations though, but they do super eyes. If you want to be less made up, I'd still go for MAC, but just stress what you want before hand and stop them if you think it's not what you like. I've had loads of MAC make overs done and there was only one I didn't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

I told the missus I would update her makeup for her, so we went into BT's and ended up at the Mac counter and she started buying... everything from foundation and lippy to bags and brushes!

€500 later we left with me wondering how war paint cant be so expensive but it was worth it!

From a blokes perspective I prefer Mac!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MAC girls have fantastic technique, but I am not that mad about their foundation. I currently use the tinted version, as opposed to full foundation, but I think that I actually prefer my original Clarins balanced foundation.

However, when it comes to technique and eye-makeup, MAC is by far and away the clear best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

I actually really like MAC for foundation, i am really really pale, and I wear the palest shade of their face & body foundation, it's in a big plastic bottle. I find it excellent, personnally prefer it over benefit, pout and bobbi brown foundations, I find that it's really light for day wear with enough coverage, but for night you can apply a little more for better coverage and it doesn't look too heavy at all. I think that with MAC, people get put off by the girls make up, but it's only really for effect, if you want natural make up, then just ask and they'll do it for you, with excellent products and techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

i like a lot of mac makeup
    it's great if you do it yourself

but i got my makeup done in brown thomas around valentines day and they made me look like a panda.
    i didnt think the result was amazing or anything
    but my boyfriend seemed to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

hotlips_h wrote:

Yikes 250 euro to do the basic course, do you get to redeem it on anything?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I think the folks on the Bobbi Brown counter are more personable compared to MAC. It's funny MAC and Bobbi Brown are owned by the same company!!!

I have gotten my make-up done with most of the counters in BT and Bobbi Brown and Sheisdo seem to be the best. I think the body shop would be worth a go if you are going for the natural look -they're make-up has improved alot over the last while - great colours and textures and their brushes are one of the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

tinkerbell wrote:
    I've heard that MAC go for heavy makeup but Bobbi Brown is more light and natural? I'm very pale and would like to look like I'm not wearing any makeup at all.

All depends whether you tell them what you actually want. All very well slating MAC for going too heavy on it if you don't give them any direction on what look you hope to achieve. In any event, I think the MAC girls are WAY better.

Advertisement