Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of advice needed, pretty please!!!!!

Options
  • 05-04-2007 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this should be in Post grad section, wasn't sure.

Decided I want to get into primary teaching.

Have 1.1 degree in IT.
    I'm 27

Don't have hon Irish, so am in the middle of studying it again to resit leaving next summer.

Thing is, I'm starting to feel that even with my irish qual, I'll never get accepted for as place in this country.

No teaching experience whatsoever, wouldn't be the most articulate person you'll ever meet.

was hoping to do the Hibernia online course, as can't really afford to quit work, but again, think my chances are pretty slim of being accepted, so I'm wondering do I have to bite the bullet & rethink my game plan.

So, what other options do I have?
    I know I can study in the UK & then have 5 years to gain my Irish qualification.

Is there anywhere in NI I can do this?

Is it right that the quals in Scotland are not recognised here?

If I did have to go to UK to study, where are the most common uni's that offer it.

Is there a grant available for doing this?

Is there as much competition for places over there?

Or, do you think I should stick to my guns & try to gain Irish qual first & then compete for Hibernia?

Sorry for all the q's people, but I'd imagine a lot of ye have went through what I'm going through already, & so maybe could offer me some good advice.

Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

I think you should stick to your plan.I don't think it is as hard to get on the Hibernia course now as it was when it was first introduced.Best of luck with it.Hope it works out for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, I think I would try and spend at least some time in a school before committing to follow a teaching qualification.

You may find it is hell on earth for you and it is a sickeningly lonely job for those who hate it. Then again, you might find you love it and would almost do it for half the money. You can't know until you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Defo try it out first. I refused to try teaching for 4 years because i knew i would hate it:D Guess what? I actually like it, you have to try it first. Good luck

Advertisement