Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New gears mutliplayer mode - 9th april - annex

• 05-04-2007 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

From EG:
    Epic Games has revealed details of the "Annex" multiplayer mode set to be introduced to Gears of War in a forthcoming patch.

Annex will involve taking control of key locations and holding them as a team to accumulate points, with the winning side the one that hits the target points-total first, regardless of the number of kills made.

Each map will feature several control points, although teams will only fight over one at any given time. When that control point has been claimed by one or other team long enough to exhaust its available points (you can annex a maximum of 60 per control point), the game selects another at random for you to fight over elsewhere on the map.

Respawns will come in waves every 15 seconds rather than occurring immediately, Epic has said, and there will be plenty of variables to adjust as the host - winning scores can be set between 120 for fast-paced games and 480 for longer-haul, and you can also specify the number of rounds to be played, bleed-out duration, friendly fire and private slots among other things.

The information comes our way via a page on the Gears of War website that has since been pulled. When it was up, it claimed the patch containing Annex - along with various bug-fixes, and a 720p option for VGA users running at 1280x1024 - would be released on 9th April. Microsoft has since explained that the page was posted in error, and the date may yet change.

Sounds like it could be good, im loving the idea of having games with respawns at least, no more spectacting while two people blind fire torque bows at each other until the clock runs out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Pure SMEX! And hopefully they will fix a few "choice" glitchs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'd like to see an all out deathmatch mode.. the ability to assign a new host during a game and some monkey bombs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

unklerosco wrote:
    I'd like to see an all out deathmatch mode.. the ability to assign a new host during a game and some monkey bombs....

Because of the way the game is designed to be a more team orintated/cover system etc I think all out deathmatch will enver happen, even if it did it would suck

This out???

Just checked... Update is out... new mode is there. Seeminly some of the glitches have been sorted.

From what i've read the melees have changed, shotguns a bit weaker, boomshots changed... gonna go n check it out

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote:
    Just checked... Update is out... new mode is there. Seeminly some of the glitches have been sorted.

From what i've read the melees have changed, shotguns a bit weaker, boomshots changed... gonna go n check it out

I'll have to redesign my tactics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Going to have to get used to not weapon sliding now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Going to have to get used to not weapon sliding now
    Its still in there ¬_¬

They've just made it harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Annex is pretty good....involves alot more teamwork and kills dont matter as much...did anyone realise that you stick to walls much easier since the update...and also my gears has been coming up as unreadable during matches since the update

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its still in there ¬_¬

They've just made it harder

tell me more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nope, it just gets annoying in MP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

from theInquirer
    IN AN OPEN conversation for the 1UP's podcast, Tim Sweeney disclosed how Microsoft is barring their efforts to offer free content for owners of Gears of War. Guys from Epic created six maps (two of which have been released to gamers) for this hit-title which earned Microsoft millions of dollars, but now Epic cannot release the remaining four maps. Reason is very simple: money. Microsoft wants to build a business model around selling additional content for games, but blocking a game developer to offer free content is not the way to go. In fact, that is the way backwards and one of reasons why world predominantly use Windows, and not Mac OS.
    As we all know, Epic Games is a company famous for its releases of free content for its games, like numerous map packs for Unreal Tournament series of games. In addition, getting a licence for its Unreal Engine 3 is possible via revenue-share, meaning that small gamedevs can get full access to leading engine for small change. µ

:mad:

Id read that eariler... it sucks!!

Sticking to the walls is bloody annoying... Seems to happen allot easier now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Scruff wrote:
    from theInquirer

:mad:
    The world predominatly doesnt use mac osx because it sucks.

But yeah, annex is brilliant. Easily best game mode in gears. All weapons have ause in this mode, and to win you need to use all of them, its not just a shotgun spam fest like execution.

I guess u did that quote on a windows machine.... Windows is great ;-) fight fight fight fight!!!

when is this patch\update out anywho?

yesterday...

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Nope, it just gets annoying in MP.

Not to worry, I figured it out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Played it at length yesterday and gotta say its good fun, fairly maniac though. Plenty of other changes too, I noticed the extra wall stickiness too and they've also gotten rid of the shotgun charge which was a personal fave of mine. That said the flip side now means its easier to get active reloads on the sniper rifle and use it as a short range weapon as theres less of a delay between stopping and shooting.

All in all though, I'd have preferred if they'd built it around Execution rather than Warfare. I miss the whole idea of picking up downed team mates. :o

unklerosco wrote:
    yesterday...

ah..just looked for it in the marketplace downloads for games played and couldnt see it. presume i have to load up GoW from the disc to get it then?

• Advertisement

Boot GOW n it'll update...

Fav update on it is a small one, when a cog or locust pics up a weapon it now comes up as "taken" in red or blue....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The update is pretty disapointing having waited so long.

Very few of the annoying glitches were fixed.

The game type is ok for an hour but all ready it's pretty boring.

The amount of bullet lag compared to CoD/R6V is awful the game is close to unplayable online.

not impressed.

ntlbell wrote:

The amount of bullet lag compared to CoD/R6V is awful the game is close to unplayable online.

not impressed.

Thats damn true. I hate it when Americans host and think they kick ass when you bullets just don't hit...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ooh hadnt heard of this til now. Anyone up for a trial run? We never did get around to having that tournament either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

ntlbell wrote:

not impressed.

The lag can be extremely frustrating - Usually I play with just irish lads and its usually alright. Playing ranked games though forget about it - the update was really dissappointing I have to say. And whats with the sticking to walls getting worse ?

Was playing for a while last night, if I got tagged with a grenade n stood beside my mate, i won the round n got the kill.

A few times i'd jump over a wall but then end up back over it.

And the wall sticking!!!! FFS... its a bloody pain.

Advertisement