Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Efficient Spot Lights?

Options
  • 05-04-2007 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know if its possibel to buy energy efficient spot lights? We bought a few of the Phillips long life bulbs for the lamps around the house but have spots in most of the room

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Energy efficient led lamps to replace halogen lamps are available.
    However you may need to replace the whole fitting aswell.
    They replace 230V gu10 lamps.
    If you have 12V gu10 you will definitely need to replace fitting.
    Some led lamps will fit straight into the 230V fittings.
    I'm sorry i cant make a definite recommendation at the moment.
    This is a product i'm looking into to find the most suitable but as the song goes, I still haven't found what I'm looking for!
    As soon as I do I will post up here.
    In the meantime if you have 230V downlights and need to replace one or two now, it would be worth bringing your old lamp into your local electrical wholesaler for a replacement.
    Something to consider, these lamps are NOT suitable for dimming.

Good luck

To explain, gu10 is the type of lamp most commonly called spotlights or downlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Check out http://www.esb.ie/main/energy_home/ef1.jsp and click on the energy saving calculator. This has a reference to energy-efficient halogen downlighters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I recommend the CFL GU10 lamps, only 7W and 9 Watt, not as bright as halogen but equiv to 35W for the 9W

LEDs are not an option for a straight change over they are too dim and only for decoration at the moment

try these posts,,

BTW most electrical wholesalers sell these GU10 CFL lamps, usually under the brand name of Megaman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054871188

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066405

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I got some a few years ago for outside my shop got them off an elec wholesale co once they heat up the light is fine off them "T O Reilly " i think it was worth giving them a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

wexford12 wrote:
    I got some a few years ago for outside my shop got them off an elec wholesale co once they heat up the light is fine off them "T O Reilly " i think it was worth giving them a ring

thats correct Wexford, including Kellihers electric, CT electgric, Eastern Electric and T O Reilly

• Advertisement
Advertisement