Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran press conference and the released British sailors

Options
  • 04-04-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Is anyone else watching the press conference by Iranian President? He seems to be talking a while now and I dont see his point yet. This is my first time listening to him, guess I need to be patient.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Zita wrote:
    Is anyone else watching the press conference by Iranian President? He seems to be talking a while now and I dont see his point yet. This is my first time listening to him, guess I need to be patient.

he makes more sense than Bertie in full flow anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Zita

he makes more sense than Bertie in full flow anyway :D

Having listened for a while now, I am finding this Iranian Press Conf by their President, so interesting. To hear views of world politics from a country and culture so different to mine, is quite mind broadening.

Zita wrote:
    Having listened for a while now, I am finding this Iranian Press Conf by their President, so interesting. To hear views of world politics from a country and culture so different to mine, is quite mind broadening.

that's one way of putting it :)

personally, I think he's an extremely dangerous individual with the potential to kick off WW3

(Ahmedinajad that is, not Bertie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sailors released as a gift to Britain, commanders who captured them given medals, Britian not brave enough to tell their own people the truth. :rolleyes:

Teflon Ahmedinajad :p

good news about the sailors though.

good news about the sailors though.

yes, nice PR coup for the Ayatollahs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

yes, nice PR coup for the Ayatollahs
    are you being sarcastic? The Iranians just made a humiliating climbdown! How is that a PR coup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

are you being sarcastic? The Iranians just made a humiliating climbdown! How is that a PR coup?

Actually, its not coming across as a humiliating climbdown. However, they made a mistake with that comment about the female sailor, grrr we dont like that.

I thought that the Iranian President was the vocal piece for the Ayatollah....
    If its true or not, to free 15 military persons from a country like the UK, is significant. I wouldn't have thought it was a climb down. Its something they will be able to reiterate again and again, to show how they have mercy.
    Not like some "western" militaries, who hold people without any rights at all.....

magnanimous gesture of releasing the imperialist running pig dogs (or whatever the curent jargon is)....in the interests of regional security.....blah blah....

you can be assured it'll play well on the Arab Street

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

personally, I think he's an extremely dangerous individual with the potential to kick off WW3

This is from today's edition of Democracy Now
    ABC: U.S. Engaged in Secret War With Iran
    ABC News is reporting the U.S. is engaged in a secret war with Iran. Since 2005, U.S. officials have been advising a Pakistani tribal militant group with ties to the Taliban on how to carry out deadly guerilla raids inside Iran. The Pakistani group – called Jundullah -- has taken responsibility for the deaths and kidnappings of more than a dozen Iranian soldiers and officials. Most recently, Jundullah took credit for a bus bombing that killed at least 11 members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in February. Officials say the U.S. relationship with Jundullah is arranged so that the U.S. provides no funding to the group, which would require an official presidential order or "finding" as well as congressional oversight. Some former CIA officers say the arrangement is reminiscent of how the U.S. government used proxy armies to destabilize the government of Nicaragua in the 1980s.

It seems if anyone is going to be responsible for kicking off world war 3, it's more likely to be the leader of the country that is deliberately poking Iran with a Cattle prod hoping they'll react

• Advertisement

Oh, and Bush still refuses to release the 11 Iranian Diplomats that were arrested in Iraq on january 11th.

These men are being held in an undisclosed location and in conditions that are most likely far worse than the British soldiers were held in. The men are still in detention despite pleas from the Iraqi government for them to be released

Akrasia wrote:
    It seems if anyone is going to be responsible for kicking off world war 3, it's more likely to be the leader of the country that is deliberately poking Iran with a Cattle prod hoping they'll react

I haven't heard a truer word said.
    Of all administrations, its the US administration that worries me the most.

it's all about nukes baby

do we want the Ayatollahs to have them?

magnanimous gesture of releasing the imperialist running pig dogs (or whatever the curent jargon is)....in the interests of regional security.....blah blah....

I guess they have put on a lot of spin.
    Still, a few days ago they were saying they were going to put the sailors on trial unless they got an apology, now they are releasing them without any apology from the British from their alleged incursion. I think the Iranians just want war, but want the West to look like the aggressors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Well, it's good to see that UK/US propaganda is still as effective as ever.

For another take on the so-called (now ended) "hostage" crisis have a read of this interesting article in the Independent (UK). Source available here

A failed American attempt to abduct two senior Iranian security officers on an official visit to northern Iraq was the starting pistol for a crisis that 10 weeks later led to Iranians seizing 15 British sailors and Marines.

Early on the morning of 11 January, helicopter-born US forces launched a surprise raid on a long-established Iranian liaison office in the city of Arbil in Iraqi Kurdistan. They captured five relatively junior Iranian officials whom the US accuses of being intelligence agents and still holds.

In reality the US attack had a far more ambitious objective, The Independent has learned. The aim of the raid, launched without informing the Kurdish authorities, was to seize two men at the very heart of the Iranian security establishment.

Better understanding of the seriousness of the US action in Arbil - and the angry Iranian response to it - should have led Downing Street and the Ministry of Defence to realise that Iran was likely to retaliate against American or British forces such as highly vulnerable Navy search parties in the Gulf. The two senior Iranian officers the US sought to capture were Mohammed Jafari, the powerful deputy head of the Iranian National Security Council, and General Minojahar Frouzanda, the chief of intelligence of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, according to Kurdish officials.

The two men were in Kurdistan on an official visit during which they met the Iraqi President, Jalal Talabani, and later saw Massoud Barzani, the President of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), at his mountain headquarters overlooking Arbil.

"They were after Jafari," Fuad Hussein, the chief of staff of Massoud Barzani, told The Independent. He confirmed that the Iranian office had been established in Arbil for a long time and was often visited by Kurds obtaining documents to visit Iran. "The Americans thought he [Jafari] was there," said Mr Hussein.

Mr Jafari was accompanied by a second, high-ranking Iranian official. "His name was General Minojahar Frouzanda, the head of intelligence of the Pasdaran [Iranian Revolutionary Guard]," said Sadi Ahmed Pire, now head of the Diwan (office) of President Talabani in Baghdad. Mr Pire previously lived in Arbil, where he headed the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), Mr Talabani's political party.

The attempt by the US to seize the two high-ranking Iranian security officers openly meeting with Iraqi leaders is somewhat as if Iran had tried to kidnap the heads of the CIA and MI6 while they were on an official visit to a country neighbouring Iran, such as Pakistan or Afghanistan. There is no doubt that Iran believes that Mr Jafari and Mr Frouzanda were targeted by the Americans. Mr Jafari confirmed to the official Iranian news agency, IRNA, that he was in Arbil at the time of the raid.

In a little-noticed remark, Manouchehr Mottaki, the Iranian Foreign Minister, told IRNA: "The objective of the Americans was to arrest Iranian security officials who had gone to Iraq to develop co-operation in the area of bilateral security."

US officials in Washington subsequently claimed that the five Iranian officials they did seize, who have not been seen since, were "suspected of being closely tied to activities targeting Iraq and coalition forces". This explanation never made much sense. No member of the US-led coalition has been killed in Arbil and there were no Sunni-Arab insurgents or Shia militiamen there.

The raid on Arbil took place within hours of President George Bush making an address to the nation on 10 January in which he claimed: "Iran is providing material support for attacks on American troops." He identified Iran and Syria as America's main enemies in Iraq though the four-year-old guerrilla war against US-led forces is being conducted by the strongly anti-Iranian Sunni-Arab community. Mr Jafari himself later complained about US allegations. "So far has there been a single Iranian among suicide bombers in the war-battered country?" he asked. "Almost all who involved in the suicide attacks are from Arab countries."

It seemed strange at the time that the US would so openly flout the authority of the Iraqi President and the head of the KRG simply to raid an Iranian liaison office that was being upgraded to a consulate, though this had not yet happened on 11 January. US officials, who must have been privy to the White House's new anti-Iranian stance, may have thought that bruised Kurdish pride was a small price to pay if the US could grab such senior Iranian officials.

For more than a year the US and its allies have been trying to put pressure on Iran. Security sources in Iraqi Kurdistan have long said that the US is backing Iranian Kurdish guerrillas in Iran. The US is also reportedly backing Sunni Arab dissidents in Khuzestan in southern Iran who are opposed to the government in Tehran. On 4 February soldiers from the Iraqi army 36th Commando battalion in Baghdad, considered to be under American control, seized Jalal Sharafi, an Iranian diplomat.

The raid in Arbil was a far more serious and aggressive act. It was not carried out by proxies but by US forces directly. The abortive Arbil raid provoked a dangerous escalation in the confrontation between the US and Iran which ultimately led to the capture of the 15 British sailors and Marines - apparently considered a more vulnerable coalition target than their American comrades.

The targeted generals

* MOHAMMED JAFARI

Powerful deputy head of the Iranian National Security Council, responsible for internal security. He has accused the United States of seeking to "hold Iran responsible for insecurity in Iraq... and [US] failure in the country."

* GENERAL MINOJAHAR FROUZANDA

Chief of intelligence of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, the military unit which maintains its own intelligence service separate from the state, as well as a parallel army, navy and air force

I think the Iranians just want warQUOTE]

I don't think they're that crazy!

it's all about nukes baby

do we want the Ayatollahs to have them?

Do we really want the US invading and manipulating countries for much longer?
    Isn't the rest of the world tired of their version of democracy yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well no great surprise by Iran, they've done the only thing they plausibly could do.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

I would imagine the Iranians are more concerned with the Persian Street than how Arabs react

I think the Iranians just want war, but want the West to look like the aggressors.

Can I visit you sometime in opposite land where down is up, up is down and Mary Hearney is a size 8 swimsuit model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

It was just a question of how many weeks before they would be released. There was only one winner in this Iranian internal power play. Iran is looking to the bigger picture in recent years. They are really coming to dominate the region. Saddam was the only bulwark against Iranian expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I thought Iran handled it very cleverly, especially the bit where Mahmoud Ahmadinejad requested that Tony Blair would not harm the soldiers for "telling the truth and realities".
    Like all Governments, there was a certain amount of spin too, and Ahmadinejad was really heaping it on at that press conference. The world's media was watching him and he played surprisingly well. When Western propaganda is absolutely inevitable (and is invested in as absolute fact), it's good to see the Iranians having a go at it too, and this was certainly an excellent opportunity to ruffle some feathers - at least in Downing Street. Ahmadinejad has won the PR war for today, but of course there will be the same kinds of photo-shoots with the British Government when the people in question return to London.

Also, it would have been interesting to hear what the British negotiators had been saying in the past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

If Bertie Aheemmm had brains, he would indeed be dangerous.:eek: :D

Akrasia wrote:
    Can I visit you sometime in opposite land where down is up, up is down and Mary Hearney is a size 8 swimsuit model?
    Hehe, I dont think the US wants to go to war with Iran, their troops are already overstretched in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Iranians would be a tough foe and the US may get bogged down in a stalemate. The Iranians know this and know that terrorism and a change of government in the US next year could result in the US withdrawing from the region leaving Iran to march into Southern Iraq maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Northern Iraq, surely? Not that I think that's likely, but it seems less unlikely than the south.

InFront wrote:
    Northern Iraq, surely? Not that I think that's likely, but it seems less unlikely than the south.
    North, South middle, ah shur who cares! <joking!>
    Well South Iraq has holy Shia shrines and the Shia population could view the Shia Iranians as liberators (also lots of oil there!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Hehe, I dont think the US wants to go to war with Iran, their troops are already overstretched in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Iranians would be a tough foe and the US may get bogged down in a stalemate. The Iranians know this and know that terrorism and a change of government in the US next year could result in the US withdrawing from the region leaving Iran to march into Southern Iraq maybe.

The Iranians would be happy to govern Iraq by proxy. Their links are in the South by the way with the largest oilfield being in the North near Kirkuk but generally there is a lot of undiscovered oil under all of Iraq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Have to say the Iranians played a great game there, they made their point perfectly and I don't believe for a second those sailors were ever in danger of being kept prisoner. It's actually interesting to read media reports about this now, Iran being protrayed in gernerally a slightly positive light.

The extremists in Iran are playing power games. They lost this round, but it wont be too long before they try something else. Watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

The extremists in Iran are playing power games. They lost this round, but it wont be too long before they try something else. Watch this space.

What country dosn't have extremists playing power games?

You could substitute US for Iran in your sentence there and it would still make just as much sense.

Advertisement