Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading Irons

• 05-04-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey, im looking for a bit of advise.
    i am changing my Irons that i have had them for about 4 years. I bought them when i was starting off, they were a promotional set. Im not sure of what make is the best, there just seems like there is a lot of choice out there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you can't go far wrong with any of the main brands, callaway, mizuno, taylormade, ping, titleist etc..

try mcguirks, american golf or premier golf for advice initially. narrow it down to a few sets, try them out and pick the ones you like the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Griffin1983

Your best bet is do go onto the golf digest website and check out the hotlist. They review all the best clubs and pick the best. They also have them grouped into supergame improvment iorns, improvment iorns and players iorns depending how handy you are with the blighters. Oh and if this years clubs are a bit rich for you (some of them are not to cheap) they also have hot lists going back a few years and you can pick up these on the cheap.

Good luck mate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

i see mcguirks have a sale on irons at the minute. still, i'd look elsewhere also as sometimes mcguirks can be a bit expensive.

when you buy irons the key thing is that you like the look ofthem behind the ball, they sit nice and you like the feel of them. Don't feel pressured into buying a particular set, go for the set that suits you best.

when i got mine i picked out 3 or 4 sets that fitted the above bill and i took them out with a pro to a bay and hit a few balls with each. he gave me advice on what i should be looking for and eventually i narrowed it down.

take your time too. don't rush buying irons. the right set can last you for years and years.

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Dont bother changing. Wont make a bit of difference to your game but will confirm you as a consumerist sucker. Just go have a fun game with your existing clubs and do something more fun with your money.

Sandwich wrote:
    Dont bother changing. Wont make a bit of difference to your game but will confirm you as a consumerist sucker. Just go have a fun game with your existing clubs and do something more fun with your money.

How do you know that? Maybe his current set are terrible and don't suit him at all? You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent ones that suit your game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

copacetic wrote:
    How do you know that? Maybe his current set are terrible and don't suit him at all? You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent ones that suit your game.

Didnt suggest he should spend a fortune at all.

Clubs 'that suit your game' is just a myth promoted by the golf industry (and many who want to dream).

A club is a club is a club.........

Sandwich wrote:
    Didnt suggest he should spend a fortune at all.

Clubs 'that suit your game' is just a myth promoted by the golf industry (and many who want to dream).

A club is a club is a club.........

It's not really a myth, although it is over done perhaps. He could have blades that are incredibly hard to hit, they suit very few peoples games. Or the shafts in his irons could be way too stiff or way too soft for his swing. You clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

mcguirks in celbridge is the place to go to try out clubs...

they have full range to try out. usually 6 irons.

i spend a full day out there hitting golf balls before deciding on the ping i5's

didnt like the feel of the big sole clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

I agree with you copacetic he hasn't got a clue.

Sounds like the person who goes around with mates and take over 5 hours to get round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm going to hijack this thread (kind of).

I bought a €170 including bag set of clubs 18 months ago, and have been diligently getting to the driving range since then, and have recently ramped up to getting around the course as well.

Something the first pro I ever went to mentioned has stuck with me, having been emphasised by my more regular pro since then. At 6'2" the clubs I bought are short for me.

I'm not in a position where my swing is consistent enough to say I need a stiffer or more flexible shaft, etc, but I'm afraid that I'm going to only end up relearning my swing when I end upgrading to the proper length.

Should I upgrade now? and to what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Trampas wrote:
    I agree with you copacetic he hasn't got a clue.

Sounds like the person who goes around with mates and take over 5 hours to get round

he hasn't a clue is right,
    the only advice i can give is that i purchased my first set of ' good ' irons a year ago , set of mizuno mp30's and i never thought i'd get so much confidence with a set of irons, i don't think i'll ever change from mizuno, they're the best , full stop. You can pick up a second hand set for about 250 although i will say they might not suit the high h capper but are still quite forgiving as they're are a semi-blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

ah no in fairness there is such a thing as the right club for the right player lads, when i started i was using an inherited set of callaways with s300 shafts, i couldn't swing them to save my life, but essentially there's game improving clubs and theres clubs for mid/low hcappers (mixed sets and all blades), you get whichever one suits you and it doesn't have to be the dearest sets, don't be afraid to ask questions and don't care what they cost in realtion to others (i.e. don't think they're no good cause they're cheaper)and if you can pick up a suitable set second hand, in good nick, jump at them, as long as your not compromising, golf has too many costs associated with it. trust me the mark up on some brands when i worked in mcguirks was mad, certain names at cost price were cheaper then their cheap rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

JR, can you enlighten us as to what brands in particular had the highest markups??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

Hey,

For a cavity back try get your hands on a few of last years models like the callaway x20's are out so if you find a set of x18 which are little to no different get them. i saw a set in premier golf red cow but that was a month ago but give it a shot there going for around 400 or so and were about 800+ when first out, also get custom fitted it may not make a difference if your not great but having the right shaft and length is always important.

Though if your good and looking to get a little less cavity take a look at the new titleist 755's, nice clubs. Mizuno mx25's are nice too and alot cheaper.

Read up as much as you can and dont rush into it, do go off and get blades thinking youll get used to them cos ull stugle and give up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Nev wrote:
    also get custom fitted it may not make a difference if your not great but having the right shaft and length is always important.
    Does anywhere (or maybe it's everywhere!) do the custom fitting that you see in the magazines with the computer analysis of current clubs v various options (flight, carry etc)? Seems like in the UK it's now standard in a lot of stores, but I don't recall seeing it here. Not in the market myself at the moment, but if it's as good as they make out might be worth the time if you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Macy wrote:
    Does anywhere (or maybe it's everywhere!) do the custom fitting that you see in the magazines with the computer analysis of current clubs v various options (flight, carry etc)? Seems like in the UK it's now standard in a lot of stores, but I don't recall seeing it here. Not in the market myself at the moment, but if it's as good as they make out might be worth the time if you were.
    Yes the driving range in Carlow does custom fitting on all clubs and they have invested in a pro lanch vector monitor.There is only 4 r 5 in Ireland. Its very good, tells you everything, but as far as i know they are only using it to fit Drivers.I you want to contact them, let me know and I'll send you the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

EMPM and uberwolf,

If you have been playing for a few for a while and you think you will have the time and interest to continue to play the sport I would recommend a custom fitting. Everyone has some characteristic to their swing that makes consistent shots difficult. If you can get clubs to help you play better golf then go for it.

There is no shortage of custom club fitters. If possible I would recommend one that offers multiple brands and is not tied into just one.

Word of warning there are many golfers out there who change their clubs every year or two when their ability doesn't warrant it. A lot of hackers out there using space age materials to shoot in the 90's :rolleyes: . Please don't become one of these lost souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

as far as i know theres a few places that do custom fitting, that four golf place (not sure where it is or price) hear hes expensive, also heard he gave an old 22 hc a set of S600's shafts on a set lol but have also heard great things about him.

premier golf(kilcoole, red cow, few others) all there shops do it as far as i know thats where i got mine and its free with a set of clubs. Maybe its just the irons them self or in the head but my game has improved, the lie angle etc is ment to be v important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm amazed at when people ask for advice on where to buy clubs etc etc , after like over a year of me trying to help you suckers, still no one but me says ebay.

Fact : you will save big bucks with ebay. Go round shops have a look see what you like then buy the damn things on ebay.

I bought a set of Taylor made rac o/s when they were new for 799 demo set, my da bought the exact same set 2 months later of ebay for 250 INCLUDING shipping and insurance....brand new.

Last year I bought a brand spanking new set of mizuno mp30's for 250 euro. Not only would these clubs retail at easily over 800 euros but they dont even make em anymore, and they are probably the most solid half blade irons ever.

Just go on ebay and look, its so worth it and dont worry bout myths of scams and breaking clubs in post, paypal and ebay insure you up to 2000 euro for free, just for registering....and all the golf equipment is from reliable sources, mostly american golf shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Nev wrote:
    as far as i know theres a few places that do custom fitting, that four golf place (not sure where it is or price) hear hes expensive, also heard he gave an old 22 hc a set of S600's shafts on a set lol but have also heard great things about him.

premier golf(kilcoole, red cow, few others) all there shops do it as far as i know thats where i got mine and its free with a set of clubs. Maybe its just the irons them self or in the head but my game has improved, the lie angle etc is ment to be v important

Derek in ForeGolf in Newbridge is now charging for the custom fitting cos everyone was going there getting fitted and then buying clubs on ebay, Mcguirks. Now he charges €100 for the customer fit but will discount when you buy off him. He's definitely worth it especially for drivers and fairway woods as the different shafts, kick points, weights are definitely more important then the club head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement