Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating UML Diagrams

Options
  • 05-04-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for some tool or program that allows you to quickly create UML diagrams (class diagrams, sequence diagrams & use case diagrams essential) In college we used Rational Rose but as far as i know that's not free plus it's a serious resource hog... Is there any decent, free tool out there? That doesn't kill your computer either...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

[thread=2055062129]UML thread[/thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, downloaded starUML, seems to be working great... Nice one..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do people in development actually use UML Diagrams? It seems such a boring topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Sully wrote:
    Do people in development actually use UML Diagrams? It seems such a boring topic!

Yup, a good UML diagram can cut the dvelopment time majorly due to less trouble shooting etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Sully wrote:
    Yep, very useful in the design stages to map out what functions need to be developed. They are also good to explain to a non tech person the processes involved. Plus they look pretty. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Guess its just my lecturer. Anyone suggest some good reading material? All his notes are on his website (http://homepage.eircom.net/~iandowney) (See: BSc AC 2 Requirements Engineering/Software Systems Design) and I find them quite poor and hard to get an understanding of - even in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sully wrote:
    Guess its just my lecturer. Anyone suggest some good reading material? All his notes are on his website (http://homepage.eircom.net/~iandowney) (See: BSc AC 2 Requirements Engineering/Software Systems Design) and I find them quite poor and hard to get an understanding of - even in the class.
    I am in the same situlation. My lecture is so bad teaching it, I don't have a clue what she is on about. It would be nice to get a proper understanding of it as I know it is going to be essential in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

From my experience, UML is horrible/boring/seemingly pointless, but very easy marks, when lectured. When used for a proper project though, it is a God send.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yup as it shows people how you actually designed your project!

Advertisement