Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finished with Renault

Options
  • 05-04-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all I just need to vent,

I have a Renault Megan 2. It’s a 03 with 27,000 miles on the clock. The passenger side indicator bulb blew so I needed to replace it. The only why to get at it is by opening a cover in the wheel arch and even at that it’s nearly imposable.

So I removed the wheel, I could get a turn on the bulb holder but just couldn’t get it out so I had to bring the car to the dealer where I got it.
    On the phone he said it would cost me 20 euro to replace it which was a lot for replacing a bulb but I was stuck.

I got the car there and after looking at it he said that the bulb holder was broke and the hole front bumper would have to be removed to fix it at a cost of 55 euro, needless to say I was pissed of big time, this is a 2 euro bulb that I have been changing in every car I have driven since I started driving 20 years ago.

I am now finished with Renault. My last 3 cars were Renaults and even though I have had a lot of trouble I stuck with them but I just think to design a car in such a way that it can cost you 55 euro to replace a part that goes on a regular bases is just madness.

Just for reference here is a list of troubles I have had with this car and my last 2, just in case people think I am over reacting

Faulty tire pressure sensors, faulty door locks, grinding brakes, brake servo failure, coils (had to replace 3 times) faulty handbrake, rattle in exhaust pipe and now 55 euro bulb replacement.

So I would warn anyone who is looking to buy a new or used car to stay well clear of Renault unless you want to spend a lot of your time in the car dealers waiting for it to be repaired.

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Did you have to bring it to a main dealer - you know there usually more expensive for service / maintenance. its a pain to have to take the bumper off alright. Did you hit anything that could have broken the bulb holder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

A mate of mine, only had problems with his Renault as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bulb replacement is a problem on many modern cars, not just Renaults. Grilles, bumpers or the headlight itself may need to be removed and in the owners handbook it will tell you to bring it to a dealer to change a bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have heard that the Megane needed the front bumper to be removed to change a bulb but didn't really believe it until now. Apparently some dealers charge around €70 for this. Seems to be typical of most manufacturers these days to make once basic DIY jobs now impossible to do and it seems intentional to fleece more money from the customer.

If it makes you feel a little better I have a Toyota and changing a front headlight bulb is very difficult especially on the passenger side where the battery is in the way. I feel embarressed asking a mechanic or dealer to change one of my front bulbs but after about 2 hours of loosing the skin around my knuckles it was the only choice without breaking the headlamp housing. Still though it didn't require something as ridiculous as having to remove a bumper. Poor impractical design in my books.

P.S. Junkyard is going to love this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

beerbaron wrote:
    Did you have to bring it to a main dealer - you know there usually more expensive for service / maintenance. its a pain to have to take the bumper off alright. Did you hit anything that could have broken the bumper ?

It’s not so much the money as the total and utter crap design of the access to the bulbs which I would say most people would change themselves in better built cars.

I know main dealers would be more expensive but I was told it would be 20 euro when I rang so I didn’t see much point in shopping around either.

No the bumper was fine, reading on other Renault forums this seems to be the only way to access the back of the head light.

mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

I had the same problem with my renault.I ended up bringing back to main dealer i got it from they did 3 bulbs for about 15euro including bulbs so it wasnt bad.But i was amazed how hard it was to change them even head light lot of parts had to come off so he could do it.I do think its a money racket i know i wasnt charged but changing a buld is something that should be able to be done in the drive way by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Purely from a safety point of view, I agree with you. I have been stopped by the Gardai a couple of times and told to replace a bulb at the next garage. Hardly possible with a Renault now, it seems.

" Er Gard, hand me that spanner , willya?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Design seems poor alright. However I changed mine with little trouble, see here:

From www.meganeownersclub.co.uk
    How do I change The Headlight Bulbs?
    -Remove the wheel in the arch where the lightbulb is
    -Open the bonnet and unscrew the black plastic cover from above the light mount
    -Remove the little cap in the wheel arch to gain access to the light
    -Unscrew the protection cap from the back of the mounting
    -Before removing any lightbulbs, wiggle the back of the one you think is the problem and confirm by looking at the front as to which is moving
    -CAREFULLY remove the metal clip from around the bulb by squeezing it either side of the bulb
    -Carefully remove the wiring from the back of the bulb
    -Take out the old bulb and insert a new one. It doesnt screw, it just sits - safely! Ensure it is square inside the bracket though
    -Replace the clip around the bulb
    -Add the wiring to the back of the bulb and test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

How does this wash on the continent where in Germany for example if you are stopped with a faulty bulb you must change it there and then ( you are required by law to carry spare bulbs) or face an on the spot fine ??

BTW I have a Renault Megane but home maintenance isn't too expensive (or difficult fo me). Driving a Nissan the last few months and its got its niggles too...

Markjf wrote:
    I know main dealers would be more expensive but I was told it would be 20 euro when I rang so I didn’t see much point in shopping around either.

I sypathise, Id have dont the same, just to save my knuckles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I suppose it depends on how big your hands are whether you can use the access port or not. One of the biggest concerns i'd have about the bulb replacement procedure on the Megane is safety - car jacked up with the standard jack, wheel removed and you're fiddling about under the wing changing the bulb. What happens if the jack fails? Your average Joe Soap might be blissfully unaware of any danger.

On the old Megane a bulb replacement takes about 10 seconds. On my Laguna II it takes a couple of minutes as a few bits like the washer reservoir neck need to be removed to get access to the bulbs. It is very easy once you've done it once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As said, not just Renaults. Bad design, all bulbs should be easily accessible. For feck sake, changing a bulb is about the only DIY that I do

The cynic in me is coming up with a theory that those designs are deliberate so that it will increase service revenue for the dealers

prospect wrote:
    Design seems poor alright. However I changed mine with little trouble, see here:

From www.meganeownersclub.co.uk
    How do I change The Headlight Bulbs?
    -Remove the wheel in the arch where the lightbulb is
    -Open the bonnet and unscrew the black plastic cover from above the light mount
    -Remove the little cap in the wheel arch to gain access to the light
    -Unscrew the protection cap from the back of the mounting
    -Before removing any lightbulbs, wiggle the back of the one you think is the problem and confirm by looking at the front as to which is moving
    -CAREFULLY remove the metal clip from around the bulb by squeezing it either side of the bulb
    -Carefully remove the wiring from the back of the bulb
    -Take out the old bulb and insert a new one. It doesnt screw, it just sits - safely! Ensure it is square inside the bracket though
    -Replace the clip around the bulb
    -Add the wiring to the back of the bulb and test.

I have replaced the front headlight bulbs, with great hardship and could just about get to and turn the indicator holder but it just wouldn’t come out from the housing, it was damaged so that is why they had to replace it.
    I was on that site before I tackled the job.

As people said above this should be a 5 minute driveway or petrol station job.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    One of the biggest concerns i'd have about the bulb replacement procedure on the Megane is safety - car jacked up with the standard jack, wheel removed and you're fiddling about under the wing changing the bulb

No way in hell should anybody ever do that!

Nevermind having to remove a bumper, just having to remove a wheel to change a light bulb is ridiculous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

unkel wrote:
    The cynic in me is coming up with a theory that those designs are deliberate so that it will increase service revenue for the dealers

On the money, garages make more money on the service of vehicles than the do on their sale. This is one of the reasons they're getting more difficult to work on yourself.

Sparks400 wrote:
    On the money, garages make more money on the service of vehicles than the do on their sale. This is one of the reasons they're getting more difficult to work on yourself.

Agree 100%

Even the most basic of tasks has become a long, drawn out procedure.

BrianD3 wrote:
    I suppose it depends on how big your hands are

Do you have kids ? Isnt that what their small arms are for ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fwiw, the reason the dealers take off the bumper is because a) it gives easiest access, and b)that's another 50/60/70 YoYo's, thanks...........it's not because you can't change the bulb any other way.

It may be small/hard/awkward, but it can be done, via normal means..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I had extreme difficulty changing the headlight bulbs on my 00 Corsa. I asked my dad to do it when I was away for a weekend and I think he removed the headlamp housing from the car to do it....now this is fairly common on the rear of a lot of new hatches, but I would have thought it should be easier with a service are such as a bonnet available for manouver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Had to take the wheel off to change the headlight bulb on my Rover 75 but that was only to be sure I had it clipped in place properly.
    when the same bulb blew on the drivers side I knew what I was doing so didn't need to take the wheel off.
    Fortunately the car doesn't keep blowing the same in-accesible bulbs all the time.
    Some makes of car keep blowing the same bulbs all the time and that would be a major annoyance.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote:
    fwiw, the reason the dealers take off the bumper is because a) it gives easiest access, and b)that's another 50/60/70 YoYo's, thanks...........it's not because you can't change the bulb any other way.

It may be small/hard/awkward, but it can be done, via normal means..........

I am sure it can be done but when the bulb holder is damaged (another quality Renault part) and won’t come out of its housing there’s not a lot else you can do but bring it to a dealer

Labour 25.50
    Bulb holder 18.34
    Yellow bulb x2 4.86
    VAT 6.58

Total 55.28

Mark

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bazz26 wrote:
    P.S. Junkyard is going to love this thread.
    I was about to post how he might take it off the OPs hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Make sure when your replacing your car to do a search here for another similar thread where a few manufacturers were listed that the bulb changing is the same. Off the top of my head I seem to remember some of the fords being the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The French and their electrics. Reckon it is their revenge on mankind for something or other. Renault were (are??) stated owned remember.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Revenge on mankind for buying French cars.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jmayo wrote:
    The French and their electrics. .

Yeah why cant they use everlasting bulbs like the japs.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd settle for,

(a) easily accessable user serviceable items, and

(b) bulb holders that don't break, among other things.

But hey, that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I suppose it'll be more common among mainstream cars in the future.

They are all striving for mass produced cheaper parts and to keep the cars as light as possible for fuel economy etc.

Also, with all the technology etc. in cars, they are becoming less servicable.

If you want an easy to maintain car, that is user servicable, you may all start buying classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Good point, well made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

It's all the excuse I need! Can I quote you to the missus, Prospect? :D

Advertisement