Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finished with Renault

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

When I read stuff like this, I know I will never buy a Reanault or any car that will hold me to ransom like the OP.

I currently have a Vectra Diesel and its simple to work on. Never mind bulbs, fuses etc (which harldy ever blow anyway), I can change oil, oil/air filter (both at the top of the engine so easily accessed), there no spark plugs and I never ever have to worry about the timing belt (its a chain so no maintenance required). I also recently changed the O2 sensor (again easily accessed) on herself's car and saved approx €370 on two separate quotes.

When I do buy my next car, as well as checking thats its fully loaded, I'll be having a long hard look under the bonnet to make sure I can do as many of these little jobs as possible myself. What takes 5 minutes on a Saturday morning in front of my house can just as easily take hours if have to book it into the garage and get there and wait around etc.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

overdriver wrote:
    It's all the excuse I need! Can I quote you to the missus, Prospect? :D

Only if you are willing to give me a spin in your new chariot... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

a lot of cars now are like that.you have to lower the bumper or take out the headlamp. this is as a result of designers never working on a car and doing everything on a computer. prob looks fine on the screen but when you have to work on it its a total different story

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When I do buy my next car, as well as checking thats its fully loaded, I'll be having a long hard look under the bonnet to make sure I can do as many of these little jobs as possible myself. What takes 5 minutes on a Saturday morning in front of my house can just as easily take hours if have to book it into the garage and get there and wait around etc.....:D

Your probably going to have to stick with cars made before the last generation so. I've had a look at a fair few new cars lately, bonnet openings are getting smaller and the most you can see is the fluid caps and a big engine cover that takes up any empty space.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Stekelly wrote:
    Make sure when your replacing your car to do a search here for another similar thread where a few manufacturers were listed that the bulb changing is the same. Off the top of my head I seem to remember some of the fords being the same.

I will do Stekelly, I haven’t got a clue what to go for. I like the reliability of the Japanese cars but none of them jump out at me looks wise.

But anyway I have to get shot of this Megan first. Anyone what to buy an 03 Megan with 27’000 on the clock and two new front indicator bulbs:D

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Markjf wrote:
    I will do Stekelly, I haven’t got a clue what to go for. I like the reliability of the Japanese cars but none of them jump out at me looks wise.

But anyway I have to get shot of this Megan first. Anyone what to buy an 03 Megan with 27’000 on the clock and two new front indicator bulbs:D

Mark

and a new indicator housing:L:L:L

no thanks btw

Advertisement