Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web search

Options
  • 05-04-2007 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi, Not sure what forum to put this in. Anyway, i am currently setting up a web site and was wondering if anybody knew how search engines worked, what i mean is, i want my website to appear when somebody does a search for a specific thing, do you the way some websites always appear and some are very difficult to find(many pages down) when a search is done in google etc. Do i have to pay a special fee to make sure my website appears at the top of the list of return results.

Hope i explained that ok.

Any info much appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

empirix wrote:
    Do i have to pay a special fee to make sure my website appears at the top of the list of return results.

Not really. You can pay for inclusion into directories but there aren't that many SE's which use paid inclusion anymore.

You need relevany to come #1 for a search. If your site is relevant to the search term and is fully optimised then you can challange for the search result.

A lot will depend on your domain name, page titles, keywords, meta data and back links and of course you will need to find out who your target audience is and if you are targeting them properly or not, this is more commonly known as Regional Searching.

Take a read of this - A begineers guide to SEO.

Advertisement