Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding

Options
  • 05-04-2007 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm seriously considering doing a M.Sc. in UL and was wondering about funding. I'm taking a year outta college at the mo.

Looking here it says that "Both the Higher Education Grants Scheme (HEG) and the Vocational Education Committees Scholarship Scheme (VEC Scheme) also cover approved full-time postgraduate courses of at least one year’s duration."

What exactly does that mean? Is that the registration fees or the roughly e4000 for the course! Do I have to pay that or do the Government.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

The Higher Education Grant will pay you approx 3000 euro and in addition, the Local Authority from whom you receive the grant will pay the 4000 euro for the fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

Really? How do I go about applying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Larry_o_C wrote:
    Really? How do I go about applying for it?

If you received a grant for your undergraduate degree, then you should get it while doing a postgraduate course too. Or, if you have been living independently ie away from your parents, for at least a year, then you can get assessed on your own income and should receive it then too (since you won't really have a proper income as a student...). I'm not sure how to go about applying for it; maybe as someone in your university?

You've to talk to your local authority about it. Most of the County Councils have specific higher education grant sections.

They'd be the best people for you to talk about what you have to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

Should I wait til I get offered the course, til I apply? Or now?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm guessing you need to have proof that you've got the course?

Yeah, it would be after you get the OK (presuming that's before the 31st of August), but it would be a good idea to get in contact with them before hand. Oh, and give yourself a few weeks to get all the documents.

Advertisement