Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e39 5 series sport

Options
  • 05-04-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Im going to sell my e46 323 coupe soon and ive been looking about at loadsa different cars! whats become very apparent is that the e39 5 series is serious value from the uk.

the like of this for example:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/152648.htm

VRT is about 4,600. Not possible to get anything like that in ireland for less than 25k.

thing is, would i like a bit silly in one at the age of 26 :D, i dont think so but just looking for general opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Its a nice one, not your typical car for a 26 yr old but thats a +. No Beige leather though :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    ive been looking about at loadsa different cars!

No way! ;)

I don't feel €19k landed for a 6 yo E39 530 petrol is particularly cheap at all even if in absolutely perfect condition. How about a 7 yo 528 for about €10k? Now that's value for money

E39s are great cars, but if you buy the later years, you will suffer a lot of depreciation as the new model has been around for over 4 years now. Also, I would not buy an E39 only to sell it again within a year. The larger petrol engines are not easy to sell in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wheres that 528 :D im assuming starship mileage, im looking for something with 60k or less!

maybe its a silly idea but ive always liked the e39 sport and the saving being made by buying in the uk should mean i wont lose much when i goto sell (ie theres a 530i with 40,000 miles on carzone for 29k!!! overpriced but still) plus its a seriously comfy and quick car!

Cyrus wrote:
    wheres that 528 :D

BMW 528i SE 2000. Ulster Antrim
    Full leather, alloys, Xenon headlights, multi function wheel, cd, fogs, FSH, met silver, MOT. £4595. www.htmotorsbelfast.co.uk or 079-71073566 or 028-90626144

Landed for a bit over €9k. That's just from a 1 minute look in the Irish buy and sell. Do a proper search for cars in the UK and you can have your pick, no doubt
    Cyrus wrote:
    im assuming starship mileage, im looking for something with 60k or less!

I'd much rather get a fully serviced 120k one for half the price of a fully serviced 60k same year one!

thats not bad, itd have to be a facelift sport tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I was tempted by a UK E39 myself last week. It was a 97 528i auto with one owner and 65,000 miles, FBMWSH, etc. Would have cost me €6,000 landed. Now there's value.:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The E39 is a great car and very easy to drive.
    The 530i looks lovely and has a decent spec but as said is overpriced.
    Go for an Alpina B10 if you are planning on paying that kind of money!

what should i pay for a decent 530i sport with less than 60k miles ? facelift model so 01 onwards

Cyrus, another thought. If you can afford insurance on a 530i, did you get a quote for a 540i? Seriously. Might not be much more and then you'll find yourself in a serious performance saloon with a 4.4 V8

Did I say somewhere before that I like that M62 engine? :D:o:D
    Anan1 wrote:
    I was tempted by a UK E39 myself last week. It was a 97 528i auto with one owner and 65,000 miles, FBMWSH, etc. Would have cost me €6,000 landed. Now there's value.:)

That's a lot of car for the money. Why didn't you bite? Have to check out the Nikasil on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote:
    Cyrus, another thought. If you can afford insurance on a 530i, did you get a quote for a 540i? Seriously. Might not be much more and then you'll find yourself in a serious performance saloon with a 4.4 V8

Did I say somewhere before that I like that M62 engine? :D:o:D

That's a lot of car for the money. Why didn't you bite? Have to check out the Nikasil on it though
    It was on eBay, I emailed the seller asking for his phone number but he never got back to me. There was also the fact that I really don't need another car. Of course all that would have gone out the window if it had've been a 540.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

With 98 and older E39's you have to make sure the cylinders are not worn. It will cost about €3000 to put right (replacement short block@€800, new rings & labour) Tell tale signs are increased oil comsumption and poor cold weather starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

I've been looking for good value 5 and 7 Series myself. I was actually looking at the car you referred to, on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110110519304), along with some others. Bidding is currently at 10,797.

I just bought a '99 528i about six months ago, for 8500. 120k miles but in great condition, leather, ac, shadowline styling. I cannot fault it. I had bought it for myself, but the wife liked it so much, I'm now looking for another...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Cyrus wrote:
    Im going to sell my e46 323 coupe soon ...

...thing is, would i like a bit silly in one at the age of 26 :D, i dont think so but just looking for general opinions!
    Cyrus wrote:
    plus its a seriously comfy and quick car!

Cyrus, this is seriously worrying. Slippers and pipe? Glass of brandy? Maybe a cuppa tea ... :D

Advertisement