Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Year Zero album: Out

• 05-04-2007 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

New NIN album is up on the site. released tomorrow. Sweet jebus its good. I know a few people her are fans. Definitely an Autechre influence. Give it a lash and see what you think. CD quality sound too. Its actually been leaked online too, some say by the man himself.

http://yearzero.nin.com/

top right has a player to play the whole album. You can enter any old email address. Its well worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

ehh, Survivalism is released tomorrow, Year Zero is out next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I know.

Moojuice wrote:
    New NIN album is up on the site. released tomorrow.

It's just you seem a bit confused is all...

Ahh.....I see sorry, I actually am a week ahead of myself. Apologies. I thought Tomorrow was the 13th. Dammit...........Yeah you are right. I am wrong.My punishment is to listen to the album in the sun............damn life is hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Is it good though...so sick of buying NIN albums that are subpar.
    Really since Downward Spiral they haven't excited me .. but if you swear etc. i might chance it...but if youre wrong....$$$%%%6^66
    various expletives etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Numina wrote:
    ehh, Survivalism is released tomorrow, Year Zero is out next week

Yeah, was thinking there for a minute :D

Album sounds pretty good so far - far, far better than WT IMO.

It's not perfect and the songs don't seem to sit as well together as I had expected, possibly because it's supposed to be from a number of different Points of view. That said there is an overall sound to the album and the songs make a lot more sense than WT (which sounded like a random assortment of tracks to me).

A few songs aren't great (God Given annoys me a bit, it's lyrically strong except for the "sing along" bit), but it's generally a strong album... The Good Soldier, Me, I'm Not, Capital G, Another Version of the Truth, In This Twilight and Zero-Sum are probably the strongest tracks on there at the moment IMO.

Trying to figure it all out in terms of the concept over on Echoing the Sound - but given that the whole ARG will continue for another year or so (including another album, the tour and possibly even a film!) I won't get too worked up just yet!

buck65 wrote:
    Is it good though...so sick of buying NIN albums that are subpar.
    Really since Downward Spiral they haven't excited me .. but if you swear etc. i might chance it...but if youre wrong....$$$%%%6^66
    various expletives etc

Well I have liked everything since Downward Spiral, so maybe I'm not the person to ask in your case if the album is good or not. Give it a listen on the site though. I love it. I would like to see the film of the concept and I always welcome a new NIN album. Personally some NIN stuff is not as good as other NIN stuff but he has never done anything bad, just not as good as it could have been. In terms of whats out there at the moment its a different album.

Listen to God Given.....54 secs in......... Sexy back?

And Capital G........the way you make me feel by M. Jackson.

Moojuice wrote:
    And Capital G........the way you make me feel by M. Jackson.

Yes, without a doubt... not sure about the other one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

anyone listen to With Boots - its a remix of With Teeth with songs from artists like Joy Division and Depeche Mode. Cant remember where i found it, think it was a french site. its quite good.

the new one is good.thanks to Moojuice who posted the link, much appreciated.

How do you mean? Joy Divison are no more so how could they do a NIN re-mix? I dont understand what you mean :o .....Year Zero sounds very depeche modey in places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think he means a third artist or artists came together and merged JD and NIN's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Listened to it a good bit over the weekend, I like it. Seems to be taking cues from all the previous albums, there are hints of DS, WT, etc. Not sure about the whole concept of the album, will have to listen to the lyrics more closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I think he means a third artist or artists came together and merged JD and NIN's....

exactly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

This album seems sub par to me, especially after listening to black light burns debut.

Listening to the BLB album now. Not bad so far.

Iv'e given the Black light Burns album a few listerns. I like it but its nothing more than radio friendly goth rock, very cliched in places and in no way compares to Year Zero. To me it sounds very sub-par. I expected so much much more from these guys. Its not bad but its not good either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I love Year Zero thus far, can't wait to get the cd. Didn't realise that BLB was out yet, have been looking forward to that for quite a while so I must get that too.

You will be disapointed. Its nothing special at all.

wasn't this the with_boots compilation that a user called Totom made? that has an amazing mash up of Bowies "Heroes" and Beside You In Time on it

Numina wrote:
    wasn't this the with_boots compilation that a user called Totom made? that has an amazing mash up of Bowies "Heroes" and Beside You In Time on it

Hadn't heard of With_Boots until now, googled it and found a site which streams the whole thing (and you can probably download from too)... won't link to it here because it may be legally iffy.

Listening to "Beside You Heroes" now, have to say I'm quite unimpressed... not a very compatible mix and it's just Heroes with different vocals in parts - not a great example of a mash-up IMO.

Will check out the rest and see what I think

• Advertisement

I just gave them all a really really quick skim and wasn't initially impressed with any of them. May give them a proper listen tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Moojuice wrote:
    You will be disapointed. Its nothing special at all.
    I disagree, but hey check it out and make your own mind up.

Wandered into a certain music shop today to see if YZ was released tomorrow or Monday and was told they'd already put it on the shelf... happy days.

Have to say, though, I'm somewhat disappointed by the packaging - the images on the cover are nice, but it's a standard digipack... the much-lauded 24-page booklet is also pretty average, it just has lyrics where I was expecting some expansion on the concept (although I'm sure it's packed with clues for the more eagle-eyed fans to spot and divulge!).

I know with WT Reznor said he wanted to make it so the fan who bought the digital release didn't miss out on anything available to buyers of the physical release - hence making the lyrics sheet downloadable online... but still, when you look at the route Tool have taken with Lateralus and 10,000 Days (I know, they're not into the digital downloading thing) you have to realise that some pretty imaginative things can be done to those who are willing.

To be honest if digital downloads replace cd's I would probably never buy a cd again. Part of the reason I still buy cd's is for the packaging. And cd's like 10,000 days sold incredibly well probably due in part to the efforts they made to make interesting box art. WT was a bit of a cop out I felt, it kinda felt impersonal if ye get me. Artists should be giving the fans who buy cd's something to thank them, it's too easy to illegally download things.

dimerocks wrote:
    To be honest if digital downloads replace cd's I would probably never buy a cd again. Part of the reason I still buy cd's is for the packaging. And cd's like 10,000 days sold incredibly well probably due in part to the efforts they made to make interesting box art. WT was a bit of a cop out I felt, it kinda felt impersonal if ye get me. Artists should be giving the fans who buy cd's something to thank them, it's too easy to illegally download things.

I agree about WT feeling impersonal, and the lyrics thing was a complete failure IMO, because it cost so much for anyone to print out, as many fans wanted to do.

I think the whole YZ concept has been a great way to hook fans in and discourage against piracy, but I figured the whole story would be continued within the album artwork, meaning those following the story would be left behind without (buying) it.

And while I appreciate the point that iTunes downloaders shouldn't miss out on something, I think there are ways of rewarding them AND the people who physically buy the CD.

Anyway - the music is great and the concept continues, so that's enough for me!

Was that certain place a cellar of sorts? I meant to head in today but ill pick it up tomorrow at some stage.

Oh and I quite enjoyed the BLB album, must give it a few whirls yet though. It isn't amazing but it is enjoyable.

Moojuice wrote:
    Was that certain place a cellar of sorts? I meant to head in today but ill pick it up tomorrow at some stage.

Nope - it was a chain-store, although I think it was just this one that decided to start selling!

BTW - forgot about the thermo-CD thing, that's pretty impressive and a nice little extra to have (as well as being a clue)

picked it up today along with survivalism, i was unimpressed with the Year Zero packaging at first, then i started to notice a lot of small details, such as the symbols on the wrists, and the numbers scattered throughout the booklet. and the thermo thing rules also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

so i got year zero and am listening through. have to say it's caught me off guard. i came in expecting very little after with_teeth (despite loving the stuff on myspace [survivalism, me i'm not, etc.]) but i love year zero. absolutely love every song on it.

however, it doesn't sit well next to "old" NIN. i know people are drawing comparisons to pre-downward spiral NIN (broken & phm) but i'm not getting that vibe at all.

Advertisement