Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digiweb assigned 088 number

• 05-04-2007 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭

Digiweb has been assigned the 088 mobile number by ComReg for Ireland’s first 4G (4th Generation) mobile phone network.

Digiweb has said it will provide mobile broadband and mobile phone services to all regions of Ireland over the next 18 months.

Comreg’s decision today follows on from its prior award of a national Wideband Digital Mobile Data Service license (WDMDS) to the company.

Digiweb recently launched its new Data and Network Operations Centre in North Dublin and announced the creation of 200 new jobs.

Is there any other company into the irish market as it seems comreg want some more competition, what are your thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Whats "4G" defined as these days? 7.2 - 14.4?
    anyway, 088, I like it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

4G networks can support speeds of 100 Mbps while moving at high speed, and 1 Gigabit while stationary. At least that's what been achieved in live testing of 4G technologies in South Korea.

3G and 3.5G, on the other hand, currently supports 14.4 Mbps maximum (probably available later this year), but this is set to increases to about 20-30 Mbps with the advent of 3.75G, or something like that...

Anyway, I am quite surprised by this announcement. I was expecting DigiWeb to offer only 076 VoIP numbers.

If I was Vodafone right now, I would be very pissed off at ComReg. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If I was Vodafone right now, I would be very pissed off at ComReg. :D

While still being happy about the massive profits made so far.

While still being happy about the massive profits made so far.

Well, how can ComReg justify charging hundreds of millions for mobile licenses, and than give one to DigiWeb for a hundred thousand? This is definitely good news for the customer though, and as a consumer of mobile services, I'm definitely all for it.

Anyway, the full press release can be found here: http://www.digiweb.ie/media_article.asp?id=119

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well, how can ComReg justify charging hundreds of millions for mobile licenses, and than give one to DigiWeb for a hundred thousand?

Supply and demand, companies really wanted 3G licenses, they don't seem too pushed about the likes of 4G

In my opinion, no regulator should ever charge for spectrum, apart from a small administrative fee. Licenses should never be given out based on who pays the most for a license (we can all see how that went), but rather who is going to offer the best service and coverage, with guarantees of course (think beauty contest). But that's really getting off topic.

Anyone know what kinds of handsets will be offered by DigiWeb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

oooh 088.. how retro. I wonder if I could get my old 088 number back :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

LOL , voip numbers in the 08 range eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Data Services will not be sim-based.

"The service does not work the same as traditional GSM. We don’t have to use sims in that sense (for authentication).
    There will be different devices, however they can all do Data."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

rymus wrote:
    oooh 088.. how retro. I wonder if I could get my old 088 number back :D

LOL , me too!!! I was wondering ''didnt I have a 088 Eircell number'' now I know I wasnt dreaming.

Still its all competition so will be interesting to see whats on offer and their rates etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

will this be wimax technology (ie "wifi on steroids" like wibro in korea)

according to wikipedia 4g includes wimax but otherwise it's a bit nebulous www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

incidentally in korea they have 4g/wimax handsets already like this samsung sph m8100 www.slashphone.com/102/5829.html
    www.mobilemag.com/content/100/353/C5866/
    probably won't see anything similar to it here anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well mobile Wimax (802.16e if i recall) gets pretty much the speeds quoted by Urban Weigl but it's per sector. Don't except to see that yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

quintron wrote:
    Data Services will not be sim-based.

"The service does not work the same as traditional GSM. We don’t have to use sims in that sense (for authentication).
    There will be different devices, however they can all do Data."
    interesting

mkennedy wrote:
    will this be wimax technology (ie "wifi on steroids" like wibro in korea)

according to wikipedia 4g includes wimax but otherwise it's a bit nebulous www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

incidentally in korea they have 4g/wimax handsets already like this samsung sph m8100 www.slashphone.com/102/5829.html
    www.mobilemag.com/content/100/353/C5866/
    probably won't see anything similar to it here anytime soon.

It isn't based on WiMax. They'll be using Flash OFDM instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Flash OFDM is another name for 802.11g no? No exactly great for mobility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) — essentially identical to Coded OFDM (COFDM) — is a digital multi-carrier modulation scheme, which uses a large number of closely-spaced orthogonal sub-carriers. Each sub-carrier is modulated with a conventional modulation scheme (such as quadrature amplitude modulation) at a low symbol rate, maintaining data rates similar to conventional single-carrier modulation schemes in the same bandwidth. In practice, OFDM signals are generated using the Fast Fourier transform algorithm.

The primary advantage of OFDM over single-carrier schemes is its ability to cope with severe channel conditions — for example, multipath and narrowband interference — without complex equalization filters. Channel equalization is simplified because OFDM may be viewed as using many slowly-modulated narrowband signals rather than one rapidly-modulated wideband signal.

The orthogonality of the sub-carriers results in zero cross-talk, even though they are so close that their spectra overlap. Low symbol rate helps manage time-domain spreading of the signal (such as multipath propagation) by allowing the use of a guard interval between symbols. The guard interval also eliminates the need for a pulse-shaping filter.

OFDM has developed into a popular scheme for wideband digital communication systems. Examples of applications are:

ADSL, SDSL and VDSL broadband access via POTS copper wiring.
    Certain Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11a/g) Wireless LANs.
    DAB systems EUREKA 147, Digital Radio Mondiale, HD Radio, T-DMB and ISDB-TSB.
    DVB terrestrial digital TV systems DVB-T, DVB-H, T-DMB and ISDB-T.
    IEEE 802.16 or WiMAX Wireless MANs.
    IEEE 802.20 or Mobile Broadband Wireless Access (MBWA) systems.
    Flash-OFDM cellular systems.
    Certain Ultra wideband (UWB) systems.
    Power line communication (PLC).
    MoCA home networking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I'd love to get 088-8888888 it would be an amazing number.
    Anyone here work in digiweb please contact me :)

Advertisement