Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish business have no problems getting broadband?

Options
  • 05-04-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Business guide to broadband

29.03.2007 - For all the complaints about the broadband situation in the country — and they are many — businesses in Ireland are not short of options when it comes to choosing an internet service provider (ISP).

“While Ireland always seems to get itself a reputation for being a laggard in regards to broadband, this is a residential issue rather than a business one,” declares John Doherty, commissioner for communications regulation at ComReg.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8035

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is always Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

O M G!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ah Christ abolish the shower of wasters already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Doherty should quit calling me names at ComReg meetings and concentrate on visting reality land.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John Doherty is right. Buinesses have no problem getting on the net provided they are already in a broadband area OR are prepared to pay whatever it takes OR they are prepared to re-locate.

The question of whether they can get resonably priced broadband is a different one, and Satellite and RF aren't as usable as wired broadband for some services.

The last two options aren't usually available to homeowners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Probably something to do with companies being more likely to set up shop where there is broadband and other infrastructure.

Nevermind broadband, in terms of other infrastructure lots of parts of the state don't have proper water supply or sensible sewage management, as we've seen from the news and anyone who lives in Galway is experiencing each and every day now.

No one in govt. accepts responsibility for their area, if they did someone would have been in serious trouble years ago for the broadband situation, someone would be sacked for the Galway crisis, which is a national emergency (being mercenary and "how does it affect me" about it; who pays to subsidise the region if its economy collapses?). As an Irish Times opinion piece put it today "[Irish] Governments can and do refuse to accept responsibility for actions and activities that are constitutionally and legally under their control." (link)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd love to tell John Doherty exactly what small businesses think of that arrogant and insulting comment. No doubt you expect them to pay leased line prices.

Like what Marie Antoinette said, "Let them eat cake".

John, you live in the same country as me. Mabye you have darkened windoes on your car/jeep, but I've seen enough phone lines lying in ditches to shatter the "broadband ireland" illusion. Get over yourself, please.

God damien, I didn't realise the lows people can achieve. Interesting how they can't criticise you in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitzee

Above all, he's missing the point. As more and more teleworkers are born, the lack of residential broadband becomes a business problem. And of course the more likely companies to use/promote/support teleworkers are exactly the lovely inward investing multinationals the govt. want. You can't separate business and residential just like that. It's puerile and completely missing the point. Surely we want affordable broadband for all so we can have this sort of tech economy they're always on about... I think...:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Well, we're supposed to have a "knowledge economy" despite underfunded schools, colleges and universities. The "tech economy" won't get any better treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

John Doherty is right. Buinesses have no problem getting on the net provided they are already in a broadband area OR are prepared to pay whatever it takes OR they are prepared to re-locate.

There's a client of mine who would laugh her arse off at that report, if it weren't for the fact that she has been stuck with massive dial-up bills due to the fact that SHE CANNOT GET BROADBAND.

Local companies in rural areas, which are essential to provide local employment, are screwed.

Whoever wrote that report is talking through their arse or has lived either in cloud cuckoo land or within the M50. :mad:

If the powers-that-be are that out of touch with reality, we really are screwed!

Roll on the election, so we can tell 'em what we think of their lies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement